Author Topic: Wow just Wow  (Read 2283 times)

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
Wow just Wow
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:31:36 am »
Just started this. Trying to practice a few different techniques Prevent aching hands and all that with similar movements.

Definitely a far cry from the pentatonic.

It reminds me of those old video games where you would almost make it to the end die then die within 5 seconds on all your retrys...

Frustrating as hell but I can tell it is improving my picking hands coordination and knowledge of where the strings are etc..

The vid should defiantly say to start at 120bpm (was out of frustration ;)) cause I managed that pretty quickly although not first time but for some reason when at 60 and thinking about it more my coordination goes and I fluff notes or put the wrong finger down or just hit the wrong string with the picking hand. Finally I managed 2 clean sweeps at 60 last night my aim is to repeat that or better it tonight. LOL.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 6
Re: Wow just Wow
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:21:25 pm »
I know right! I'm playing almost 2 years now and in my first year I did pattern 1 on a daily basis.
I recently purchased MTMS and noticed how many things are allready for free or implied by justin if you watch him play!

The course is so good though and it really helped me elevate my playing. Still FAR FAR FAAAAR away from what I want it to be, you can check me out here to see how it helped me :)

Consistence makes it better. I noticed that it also helps to focus on other guitar techniques for a bit and then go back to what you were having trouble with.

I got stuck in the pentatonic and then decided to take a crack at hendrix grips. when I came back the pentatonic was actually easier to combine with blues/dorian notes!

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »
So I remember position 1 by heart and although by no means anywhere near perfect (dont think I ever will be) and my speed is limited is it worth taking a look at position 2 to at least commit it to memory.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 21
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »
I think it is worth learning the next position while still practicing speed on the first, for left right coordination and speed and finger stretching an strength.

But also to learn the new one, repeating the exercises and melodic patterns, only now doing both positions.

And when improvising practice sliding and jumping between them etc.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks

Offline 19rocknrollcircus68

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:11 pm »
Yep,have to agree with the original sentiment in this thread and briefly touching upon transcribing I mentioned in the transcribing area using the 1st position major chord tones for Hendrix Star Spangled Banner,having watched the Woodstock performance of this song,unless my eyes are decieving me he's just sticking to the chord tones in the first two positions for the opening bars,you can see it in his slides going between the two positions,yep glad I bought this dvd,whole new way of looking at the scale and practising it,he's no' daft the boy Sandercoe  ;D
"Fool with Hanso Hattori slice own head off"