Author Topic: Jamming  (Read 287 times)

Offline No1Jockstar

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
Jamming
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:33 am »
I have been playing/learning the guitar for about a year and half. I am still a total beinner. I just really like learning songs rather doing the full on theory etc. But my question is regarding jamming. My best mate and some friends have played guitar for years. Since i moved to Oz i haven't really spent much time in the Uk with my friends. Usually we meet up somewhere overseas. But this time when i go back to Uk I thought i may be able to jam with them a little. But i have no idea what would be expected. Do we/i play songs or what? What exactly does it involve? Help and advice please and thank you.

Offline JimLad

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 12
Re: Jamming
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:00:13 pm »
you could just play/sing along with songs that you both know or if they have a bit of theory at their backs you could play the rhythm and they could play some lead lines over it.  you could look over justin's blues course for some 12 bar blues riffs and maybe even learn a tiny bit of theory? ( ;D)

Offline No1Jockstar

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:16:17 pm »
maybe even learn a tiny bit of theory?

I know i know. I hear ya.  :) I hardly have the time to play over the last few months. But when i do after working, cooking , looking after and spending time with my 4 month old. I just want to sit down and play. But i am slowly slowly trying to learn new stuff.

Offline steveo2

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 73
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »
maybe even learn a tiny bit of theory?

I know i know. I hear ya.  :) I hardly have the time to play over the last few months. But when i do after working, cooking , looking after and spending time with my 4 month old. I just want to sit down and play. But i am slowly slowly trying to learn new stuff.
Again know the 1 4 5 chord of a given key and being able to just jam is theory and something you should have got a little of , I can solo using One finger play the  E and B string and I can teach this as well.
You do not really need much theory to do this , you do need a little I teach must theory but jamming and learning songs.
If you do not learn the major scale with chords and learn to number these chords you will never make the connection that will teach you how to teach yourself, your a full grown man its 7 chords and the ##### 7 chord is not even used much in pip or rock stuff, the flat 7th is LOL

Jamming 101
in the key of A play the b and e string at the 5th fret well that sound great sound better sliding like a half step away

That.s the 5th and root and sounds good ,move this up 3 frets and your playing the Flat7th and the minor 3rd still on the A chord but you should be able to get a grove on with one finger.
Again Slide too the 5th fret a half step below up to the 5th fret.

When the D come  move this up to the 10th fret and too the 12 fret for E.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:30:42 pm by steveo2 »

Offline Hefty Man John

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 4
  • I have a love/hate relationship with guitar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:58:28 pm »
Hey, I started a thread a few days ago re: Jamming and got some great advice, check it out: http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=29102.0
Davey Baby :)