Author Topic: People Get Ready (Jeff Beck Cover)  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 30
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
People Get Ready (Jeff Beck Cover)
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:39:00 am »
I meant to play the intro on the neck pickup but went brain-dead when I pressed the record button. It's kind of an abortion and I can tell that I need to work on my vibrato and phrasing... but I wouldn't have been able to play this a year ago so I'll post it anyhow:

Played over live version: http://soundcloud.com/scooter-trash/people-get-ready-2

...Any suggestions welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:07:15 am by Scooter Trash »
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 37
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
Re: People Get Ready (Jeff Beck Cover)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
Nice playing dude :)
You have a good vibrato imo, but I can hear Jeff in the background vibrating a little better perhaps :)

Some sharp bends after 1:50 maybe?

Seems like a hard song to play well.

My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:31:23 am »
Nice playing dude :)
You have a good vibrato imo, but I can hear Jeff in the background vibrating a little better perhaps :)

Some sharp bends after 1:50 maybe?

Seems like a hard song to play well.

Thanks Markus.. Someone suggested resting my hand on the bridge and using that to get close to the Jeff Beck-type vibrato so I've been trying to do it on the bends.. Obviously I haven't quite mastered it lol.. Jeff Beck plays that song perfectly! I tried to find a backing track for it, but all the backing tracks were in a different tempo and different key and I really liked the live version.. Hopefully I can come back to the song again in the future and play it better...  :-\
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 25
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:40:44 am »
Being brutal about it...you're way past this karaoke guitar stuff. As far as it goes, it's fine but in my view, good playing isn't about emulating another player, it's about expressing the music your way. I'm less interested in how like Jeff your vibrato is than I am in how expressive your vibrato is.

IMO (nothing humble about it ;) ) You should record your own backing track and play over that. Based on the rhythm playing on Tuesday's Gone, I believe that's well within your capabilties and will be a much better indicator of your playing.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:30 am »
Being brutal about it...you're way past this karaoke guitar stuff. As far as it goes, it's fine but in my view, good playing isn't about emulating another player, it's about expressing the music your way. I'm less interested in how like Jeff your vibrato is than I am in how expressive your vibrato is.

IMO (nothing humble about it ;) ) You should record your own backing track and play over that. Based on the rhythm playing on Tuesday's Gone, I believe that's well within your capabilties and will be a much better indicator of your playing.

I appreciate the feedback Mumbles.. I think that trying to emulate players that I like will help me to get better at playing the styles that I like and will add variety.. But point taken...
Making the backing tracks takes a long time.. I'm trying to learn "Brothers In Arms" now. When I finish learning it I'll try to make a blues backing track and play some improvised stuff that a couple friends have told me is is my unique style...

Thanks!

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:25 pm »
I think that trying to emulate players that I like will help me to get better at playing the styles that I like and will add variety..

I think that's fair enough for practicing/trying to nail a technique. I just don't think it really tells anyone about your voice as a player. The Feeling Good recording that you did sounded like your own take on the tune. I was especially impressed that you got there from a Michael Buble cover. It showed a great ear for a song and your own playing. Playing along with someone else (even if it is Jeff Beck) barely sounds like a challenge for you in comparison with that.

Sorry dude, expectations have been raised! ;D

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:08:03 pm »
Sorry dude, expectations have been raised! ;D

OK.. But try to remember that I'm only on my second year and haven't completed Justins' beginner course yet (mostly because I keep getting sidetracked by "playing" instead of "practicing"  lol)

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »

...try to remember that I'm only on my second year and haven't completed Justins' beginner course yet (mostly because I keep getting sidetracked by "playing" instead of "practicing"  lol)

No. :p To take Sir Keef of Richard's quote entirely out of context: You're a guitar player and you play guitar ;D

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:12 am »
I replaced the original version.. (This one sux too.. but it's a bit better) :-\

Offline NJDizzle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 6
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »
that would be great if i could just hear your guitar man... you have skill but id like to hear it on its own :)
Everyone needs to believe in something................
I believe I'll have another beer
:~)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:21:20 am »
that would be great if i could just hear your guitar man... you have skill but id like to hear it on its own :)

I found another backing track of the song with vocals and no guitar. I haven't quite figured out the second half of the song and my hand is still a bit jacked up from an infection but there's no guitar on this backing track so it should give ya a better idea of where I am with the song:

The backing track is here: http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/stewart,_rod/people_get_ready.htm

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:20 am »
Hi Scooter,

I thought that last version sounded good. You fit in well with the song.
By the way - "Playing is practicing" as far as I'm concerned - keep doing it.

All the best,

Digger
"When the music's over - turn out the lights."

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
    • White Rock Eagle Chat
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »
Thanks Digger. I always appreciate your input and encouragement. Thanks for listening to the song.  :)