Author Topic: Contact in USA for Purchasing  (Read 2069 times)

Offline mercthunder

• Positive Vibrations: 1
Contact in USA for Purchasing
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:31:14 am »
Hi guys, I am based in Australia and i find that a lot of guitar suppliers will not ship here due to agreements with distributors and so on. I am looking to find a contact in the USA that i can ship to, and then have ship the item to Australia. Willing to pay a small commission for all their efforts.

If anyone is willing to help, please get in touch with me as i would love some assistance. A classic example is Gold Lace Sensor pickups where they wont ship this product to Australia.

Offline Dan Graves

• Limited Access
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 134
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
Re: Contact in USA for Purchasing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:12:06 am »
You do realise that with customs fees that will be tacked on, you'll end up paying just as much as you would if you bought from an Aus store, perhaps even more ?
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline mercthunder

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:52:59 am »
You do realise that with customs fees that will be tacked on, you'll end up paying just as much as you would if you bought from an Aus store, perhaps even more ?

Not quite, that was assuming i am purchasing a guitar that is in excess of $1000. I am looking at smaller items such as guitar pickups which retail in America for about $150, and in Australia for about $300.

Offline Dan Graves

• Limited Access
  • Stadium Superstar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:57:36 am »
Even over smaller/cheaper items you may have to pay taxes, otherwise everyone would start buying everything overseas like that.
I'd make 100% sure you know what you're getting into.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 63
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:32:21 am »
Dan - couple of points:

Our Customs don't bother with anything under $1,000 http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp and with the Aussie dollar going as good as it is, buying from the US is increasingly attractive.

Not that I would ever do this, or encourage it.... but some vendors (so I've heard) will declare the value to be less than $1,000 even when it is over.

@Mercthunder - not that I would ever do this, or encourage it..... but some vendors (so I've heard) will inadvertently sell you something despite agreements with distributors. I've heard that emailing them sometimes pays off - at least that's what I've heard.

Good luck dude :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline Dan Graves

• Limited Access
  • Stadium Superstar
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »
Hmm, seems i've been misinformed then, i was told Aussie customs was getting tougher even on smaller buys...
Guess i'm going to have to have a word with my cousin about telling me stuff that ain't true  >:(

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:32:10 pm »
Boot-

You're bleedin' lucky then, mate........... Anything over £40 and our customs see the £ signs.

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 245
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »
https://bongous.com/

I am in no way endorsing this company. I know nothing about them.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline dondi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:01 pm »
unless you find someone in the US who can purchase the item for you then ship it to you as a item for personal use. this is not illegal, only if the items purchased will retail in the country being shipped to and duty is not paid then it is illegal.   

Offline hoffy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 3
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:16:21 am »
Just saw this thread - I am too thinking of buying from overseas and having it shipped to Australia.  While I am not quite there yet (still deciding on whether its worth it or not), I have found the following:

There is a company in the US - Shipito - that will do exactly what you have asked.

Have you considered buying near new second hand from somewhere such as Musicians Friend?  While MF won't sell you new, they will gladly sell second hand goods to Australia.  Also, I have noticed, that they will ship purchases over $500 free.....but I would at least factor in buying a hard case as part of the deal (funny thing - you won't be able to buy a named brand one though!)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 44
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 05:55:12 am »
unless you find someone in the US who can purchase the item for you then ship it to you as a item for personal use. this is not illegal, only if the items purchased will retail in the country being shipped to and duty is not paid then it is illegal.   

It's a problem for local retailers and tax collectors, as it's widespread, but it's not illegal. We don't have duty importing items into Aus, that are under $1000.

AFAIK, the only time it's a problem for US retailers is if they have agreements with wholesalers or manufacturer, but those are contractual issues, not strictly legal. THe worst they're risking is their dealer status being pulled.