Author Topic: melody tips and tricks  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Deathgod

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: melody tips and tricks
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 04:17:15 am »
ermmm.. thanks for all that

Takamine Tan 77
Ronnie Wood signature ESP
http://www.youtube.com/user/PMobbs

Offline steveo2

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 73
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 02:44:46 pm »
ermmm.. thanks for all that

The baby was the best I had for showing the rhythm changes much, hopefully you will learn simple theory Justin book is a fine start on this journey very basic very easy to get.
Baby steps.
Some like you Grammy winner so with like 20 million sells in a year, it's a great melody.
Singing intervals well that will help you.
I learned be melody as well, can place the chord to a simple melody with just the melody but that's another trick with no theory and not being able to get the key signature fast can't even begin to explain it.
Good luck

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »
Have you tried recording yourself playing and then singing over that to find ideas?  Actually playing the chords seems to be what's messing with you cause you mind is consciously thinking about those chords.  And your mind controls your voice to it wants to go to them as well.

Separating the two, coming up with a melody over the recorded will give your mind more freedom to think on it's own.

Then once you come up with something, then you get to have fun practicing it that way.  Good luck, I can't do it.

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 245
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 05:54:13 pm »
You are confusing phrasing with groove.

The drums are forming a groove and the chords are locked to that groove. You then want to sing a phrase over that groove.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of people get a singer or a guitar player but not both at same time.

You need to be able to play those chord changes in your sleep THEN sing over them. I would suggest to go really slow. She is singing over the chords too but her phrasing is not locked to the groove like yours.

You are probably coming closer to singing a bass line when  in fact you want to sing a floating melody.

Try playing three chords or however many suits what you are doing. then have a set of words that are normally sung there the way  you would like to hear them////

So you have say

G  ----------- C ---------- D ------------
This is my melodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Now, just play the chords over and over.
Once you get the groove going just sing the word "This" but hold it for all three chords.

G--------------C--------------D---------------
Thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

In your head try to "hear" the words "This is my melodyyyyyyyyy"

Basically you will be singing a tied whole note for three bars.

Do that a bit. then ad the next word...

"This is..............."  but this time around try it different way WITHOUT screwing up your strumming.

G------------------C----------------D-----------------
Thissssss   issssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

G------------------C------------------D---------------
ThisssssssssssssssssIssssssss......................

etc. IOW be able to This is in all sorts of different ways in time but not necessarily locked to when chords change.

Add words, repeat. After a while the chord strumming will disappear. Almost like someone else is playing. At that point you should be able to sing all sorts of "versions" of the lyrics and not get out of time or mess up a chord.

G---------------------C------------------D-------------------
this is my melody   This is my melodyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Make sense?  Your brain is too locked up to the playing and not the singling. After you separate the two you will actually be able to influence your strumming by how you are singing for little nuances and embellishments. If you get really good you might even be able to free your mind and dance around in circles like the t girl.

Or... if you get really really good... you might be able to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLunBk4bOzU

This falls under the category of "Free your mind and your ass will follow"  .... oh,,, and before that you have to practice your ass off.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 74
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 09:01:37 am »

Or... if you get really really good... you might be able to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLunBk4bOzU

Interesting.  Feel like I just met someone I should have known a long time ago... I mean I knew King Crimson but I never really paid more than passing attention....  Nice for me now tho.   Something new.   Like a new flavor of ice cream.   
Realism is relative.

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 03:07:49 am »
@deathgod, i think what you are wanting to learn is called counterpoint. my book on it is " well tempered clavier" worship the whole way through and there's lots of analysis of that on the web. hope this helps.
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.