Author Topic: The Reader (orginal)  (Read 907 times)

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 32
The Reader (orginal)
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:41 pm »
Hi All,

http://soundcloud.com/digger-72/the-reader

I originally wrote this for someone else, with a much more angelic voice, to perform. I think they were too polite to say they wasn't keen on it, so a few months down the road I thought I'd give it a whirl. Any feedback much appreciated.

All the best,

Digger
"When the music's over - turn out the lights."

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 27
Re: The Reader (orginal)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »
I like it. Great lyrics, nice guitar playing, and I'm noticing that your recordings have improved a lot in the past year. Good job Digger!
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 17
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:31 pm »
Hi Digger
I was wondering lately what's up with your song writing...  Good to hear from you again!
That's a good song with a kind of nostalgic feel. Really nice. Btw, I think your voice fits quite well to the song.
Cheers!
"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." A. de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:57 pm »
I like this one a whole lot.  Good job brotha.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 74
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:42:09 am »
Listen to your voice!  It's getting so much stronger and clearer.   

I love this song.   I never cease to be, I dunno, happy for you that you can write songs like this.

Still think this could use a harmony.   

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:02 am »
It's a goody digger - have you got a 'collected works' thread

or have you considered using soundclick where all your recordings are listed and available?

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:58:52 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for listening.
Scooter - I was listening to a few early recordings: it's surprising how things change. Playing a bit better, producing a fair bit better. But, most importantly i'm starting to hear the things that were wrong in the past, and starting to put them right before I post. Time really is the most important thing when learning guitar.

Rain - I've been working on some new stuff with a dodgy bass player with only one good arm. Fortunately he has two good ears. We've got a few bits in development, so you may hear the fruits in a few months time. He's made me raise my game, that's for sure. Hope you're well.

Endureth - cheers, mate.

Pat - You know I'd have you sing :) I rarely drink these days, perhaps that has helped improve the voice.

Close - most of the old stuff is on 4shared. But when I listen, the playing and production is a bit ropey. The newer stuff I tend to upload for a few weeks then remove. I've not heard of soundclick. Is it better than 4shared and soundcloud?
What might be a good idea, especially to encourage people new to guitar and recording, is a thread were people who have been at it a while post their first recording, and then something more recent. Just to show how with a bit of dedication, we can improve.

All the best,

Digger

Offline NJDizzle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 6
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:46:28 am »
digger man that song is great, the lyrics, the musical content, the guitar playing it all fits together really well.. fair play man :)
Everyone needs to believe in something................
I believe I'll have another beer
:~)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:25 am »
I think soundclick is not just a hosting site, also a musical community

Offline goldfish

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:32:27 am »
Hey digger, another great song, full of emotion. I'm pretty sure on the last song I commented on,
I said it was the best vocal I had heard of yours, well I think it has been bettered here.

Look forward to more!

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:48 am »
nice job, Digger. Like that track a lot

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:20:15 am »
Cheers guys.

Some vocals seem okay - usually on slower songs. Voice just can't seem to hold together and the slightly more uptempo. I'm sure their must be some skill for it, but it usually evades me.

I don't know about being a diamond NJ - more a cubic zirconia :D But, thanks for the thought.

Thanks all,

Digger

Offline diademgrove

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 10
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 11:11:22 am »
Hi Digger,

I'm slowly coming around from a period of ill health, so apologies for not posting before.

I think this is your best production yet. There is so much to like, contrasting sections, some strummed, some picked, cross melodies in different parts of the stereo field when listened to on headphones, a very good vocal, clear and not buried in the mix, but..............

There's something important missing. We know nothing about the father. We don't know what he was like or why he left. You might not think this is important, but hear me out and then decide.

My first impression when hearing it was the singer's like Miss Haversham in Great Expectations, waiting in her own world for something thats never going to happen. My second impression was that the father ran off with the blonde from the top of the street and deserted his family. It was only when I came to my third impression that the song started opening up. The letters could be advice about life from a father a) dying of cancer or b) serving in Afghanistan neither of whom would ever come home. The singer is then passing on his father's advice to his children. To me this version generates far more sympathetic feelings to the singer than the first two impressions. I stayed around for a third impression because I like a lot of your work. The lyrics don't have to be really explicit about what happened to the father, but they should give us a clue. I think the lyrics are good, just incomplete.

I suspect that the person you wanted to sing the song had similar views, the father didn't deserve the singer's feelings, making it difficult to sing.

If you have an i-pod or something similar, you could conduct an experiment. Put Yesterday and Something (both by the Beatles) into a play list. In the middle put the album version of Mother (John Lennon) and listen to them. Why do you think the Beatles songs are the most recorded songs of all time? Why do you think Mother isn't? Could you imagine George Harrison singing Mother? What about Frank Sinatra, or even Paul? Wouldn't it be strange if Yesterday was about Paul's mother, dressed up in such a way to disguise it? When writing songs for other people they need a reason to sing it. Yesterday shows you can sing about pain because being deserted by a girlfriend (boyfriend) is fairly universal. Not everybody has their mother run over by a policeman or is deserted by their father until he becomes rich and famous. However most Beatles fans would know what Mother is about because John told his story to millions before he even wrote the song, which makes listening to his emotions easier.

Finally you could do worse then listen (again?) to A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash. In my first and second impressions a similar song to yours, but it goes on to explain who the father is.

Hope you take my views as they are intended. I'll post some comments on mixing over the weekend.

Diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:57 pm »
Hi Diadem,

Good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling better.
You know "Mother" is my favourite John Lennon vocal - i'd even toyed with the idea of a cover at one point.

I was torn with the lyrics on this one. I had a clear idea what the song was about - you actually mention it; I was watching the news around Christmas and they were showing children and families whose fathers were serving in Afghanistan. Made me think what it would be like, and then, what would it be like if the dad never came home. The first two verses is about a child's hope, the third is the child grown up looking back on the father that they never knew.

When I re-read the lyrics i thought they could apply to several scenarios so I decided to keep them vague - let people attach their own story, so to speak.

All the best,

Digger

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 245
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 12:35:14 am »
I missed this one .....

That's a good song.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD