Author Topic: Where can i get 240v power transformers for a 25w amp?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline darren051234

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Where can i get 240v power transformers for a 25w amp?
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:55:27 am »
Im thinking of getting the mesa mini rectifier from the US and install a 240v power tranny, but i cant find any 25 w 240v power tranny everywhere, plaese give me a hint if you know any. Thanks
PS. im from Australia.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
Re: Where can i get 240v power transformers for a 25w amp?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:21:47 am »
Which bit of Australia - it's a big place :)

Tobins at Chullora in Sydney would have something - It ain't going to be cheap though - probably circa $200 - $250.

Places like Jaycar & Dick Smith will also have stuff - but I'd recommend somewhere like Tobins because you could speak to them about the correct (safe) rating, whereas your local Tricky Dicky merchant won't have a clue - it isn't as simple as "give us a 25W 240V Tranny...."  given the mini uses a 1 amp fuse that would suggest you need something rated at least 120 volt amps.

Don't go dicking around with it though unless you are sure of what you're doing - one flash and you're ash! Or worse burn down the house and take your whole family with you. If you are serious about this a good guitar/amp tech won't charge too much to do it - your local music store should be able to make a referral.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:50:32 am by Bootstrap »
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline darren051234

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:19:47 am »
haha thats a cool as photo.
im in north Brisbane.
I know stepdown tranny will work fine but i just also wanna know what's the price difference of a power tranny and a stepdown tranny as if the power tranny arent too much away from the stepdown tranny, i may get that instead.
hummm.... seems like i'll have to go with a stepdown tranny as i found one on ebay for $35.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:10:45 pm »
Darren........ Be very careful with the cheaper stepdowns........ Most of them are only good for hairdryers and electric shavers. The reason I posted the link to the TAD one, is that it's recommended for the use you want to put it to.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:55:47 pm »
"Power tranny", "step down tranny"?

Unfortunately, "power" and "voltage" are used interchangeably and incorrectly.

Power is a product of volts and amps.

A volt is a volt.

The amount of power a device requires is a function of the resistive load the device creates.

Maybe you are getting confused with the amplifiers "power supply" which both transforms and rectifies the input voltage to make it a DC voltage the devices components can use?

A transformer is a transformer - it either steps voltage up, or down (or is variable) - it does nothing to power.

The power rating of an amplifier is a measure of the increase in amplitude of an input signal (ie from the pickups) - this is not the same as the power required to run an amplifier. An amplifier actually produces two things - sound and heat (lots of heat).

Domestic voltage is regulated to be constant (despite changes in load, only the current changes) the maximum load of your amp is constant, so if a transformer steps the voltage down the current must go up. Therefore your transformer needs to be able to handle the power required to fuel the maximum load created by your amp.

All the best with a $35 transformer on your $2,000 amplifier....
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:44 pm »
Why don't you email Mesa and ask them what they recommend? It's possible there are some extra wires inside that can be swapped for 240V use.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline darren051234

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »
I have contacted at least 4 online music store and they all say they cannot ship out of US.
and mini recs are selling at AUD$1800 over here. seems like i'll go with an orange Jim root terror.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:59 pm »
Thomann ship to Aus...... Fifty Euro's DHL-Flatrate.

Offline Dan Graves

• Limited Access
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »
I honestly don't understand you.
You had a nice recto, but you're selling it in favor of a smaller, less perfect model, or even a Tiny terror clone...
Why Darren, WHY ?  ???

Also, let me be the second one to warn you about using a step up or stepdown transformer : it can and most likely will eventually fry your amp.
I've seen my brother pull the same silly trick with a Marshall DSL 401 that he brought back to Holland from the U.S., after about a month the stepdown transformer took a tiny surge from the wall socket and fried the amp.
Made a nice loud PLOP and gone was the amp.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline darren051234

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:42:55 am »
i used to be a metal freak, and i only play metal, that was a main reason i bought the dual rec.
i sold it because i have changed and prefer blues/ rock and i used the cash and got a Vox AC30.
i started playing blues rock fusion for a friend of mine, and being a bass player for an indie/ progressive rock band.
meanwhile, my metal still exsisting, and dont wanna have a massive 100 watt tube head for my metal band (as now i am involved in 3 bands, money has to be wise spend).
so i think i should get a lunchbox amp for my metal band.
also, since im involved in that many bands, i really want to downsize my rigs to cut cost and the trouble of lugging it around.

Offline steveo2

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »
I moving there it would seem best to get a amp guy to replace it inside the amp, purchase one on that side of the world long ago, seemed i paid about 80 bucks for it but that was like 13 years ago.
Australia that the biggest island on my globe, I have Friend's there they sent me a cool shirt people don't get it

But it a Image of a big wooden arrow that points the direction has the 16,776 km and Australia , it's a bloody long way indeed wish it had that map on the back and said it's bloody big place as well ;D
Peace
I bet Bear is a reasonable price, yeah that's BEER.