Author Topic: FO-109 • Adding Hammer-ons and Flick-offs  (Read 1437 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Chasecar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: FO-109 • Adding Hammer-ons and Flick-offs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21:36 am »
oh so NOBODY had any questions about a flick off other than me?? LOL..

i have added 15 minutes of this in my daily practice routine.  Before i started practicing i had no idea that pick offs would be so much harder than hammer ons.  I am playing an acoustic and my hammer ons are ok but my pick offs only sometimes ring and rarely do they ring they same volume.  Is there a trick to this other than just keep doing it until it sounds right?

I am on pattern one and I dont have nails or a thumbpick.  I cant seem to get the hammer on the high c note audible above the base note. 

As an aside, i just wanted to thank you guys for the help.  I am hoping that one day I will be able to contribute more here in the way of advice rather than only asking questions all the time.  Even i get the feeling that the only thing i post is questions.  I am a mod on a weightlifting forum and I know how frustrating that can seem to the veterans of the board. 

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:35 am »
Yep - it's one of those "knack" things that best comes from experience - the reason Justin calls them "flick-offs" (where many others refer to them as "pull-offs") is to try to create the image that you have to flick (drag down?) off the string to get it to sound.

Strength in hammer-ons also comes with time and practice - one tip, this is the one time it is ok to lift your finger right up off the fretboard, you need a bit of space to generate the right power.

Whilst exercises are good, finding songs that contain techniques is also good - for flick offs the classic riff lesson Justin does on Black Night by Deep Purple is good fun and not too hard - the flick-offs are in the part between 36s & 46s in his demo. And sounds great on acoustic.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline irishalkies

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:09:19 am »
I never developed flick-off's until my fingers developed calluses. Now the string just catches nicely on the hard bit of skin on the fingertip and rings out nicely.