Author Topic: Jamming in the free world  (Read 578 times)

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
  • Its better to burn out than it is to fade
Jamming in the free world
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:07:43 am »
Hi
So I recently moved to Barcelona (doing a master's in sound and music computing) and don't have many friends yet. Instead I just jam with people from the classifieds. I have been jamming with another guitarist and a drummer for about 2 months now.

This is from a few days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyusAnCskY
(WARNING: 15 minute jam so might not be everyone's cup of tea)

We never discuss what we play, its all impromptu. Its fun to talk with music, especially when I can't speak any spanish!
My guitar is in the left speaker.The tone is a bit muffled, I think I didn't set the amp properly.

Let me know how it sounds and what I should be working on playingwise/tonewise/whateverelse ..
Thanks!

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 33
Re: Jamming in the free world
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »
Hi Neo,

I thought it was very impressive. Did you just jam this together? I can't even jam with myself and keep in time. Bloody great. Some great fuzz guitar work in there. I like the muffled tone - it's like some stomping behemoth. It's an awful lot to take in, but I guess that's missing the point - it's all about the energy and feel. It could probably be edited down in to a really cool 10 minute epic.
Great stuff.

Digger
"When the music's over - turn out the lights."

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:54 am »
Did you just jam this together?
Yes you can hear it being made as we play. At the very start we were playing something else, then the drummer starts a very slow pattern and I get into it with some noodling and the other guitar is holding the rhythm and later he lets it loose and we keep trying to change it all the way. Sometimes we aren't even looking at one another, just listening to whats happening.

I can't even jam with myself and keep in time.
Neither can I. I just get bored too quickly if its only me. I don't know what happens with other people but sometimes the other guy plays something and you think 'Oh that sounds good, let me try this' and so on. I think you should try this jamming thing. It opens up something new.
And playing with a drummer is just awesome. You can just play with what he is doing and vice a versa.

Thanks for your comment and listening through 15 minutes of this boring stuff!

Offline warlock

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 3
  • capo di tutti capi
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:16 pm »
Afff if you just had a bassist there...!

I've had a similar jam recently, it's one of the best expieriences I've ever had with the guitar ;)

THIS WAS GREAT, I tell ya! I f**** love what your mate did at 5:20+, pure psychodelic Pink Floyd essence! Seriously, amazing!!

Great tone guys, I love the effects you both use, very original sound. Ofc this jam has some flaws (uneven tempo at times etc), but this is normal, sometimes you try things and they either work or not. But when they did work, It was SUPERB! The overall feel was just epic. I wasn't bored even for one second, it was like a trance ;)

Please do more, much more ;) And go out and play such jam in a club, I'd pay you to hear this
My band's bandcamp (download our first EP!):
http://projektumbra.bandcamp.com/album/umbra-demo-ep

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
Afff if you just had a bassist there...!
Bassists are a rarity here. We are desperately looking for one.

I've had a similar jam recently, it's one of the best expieriences I've ever had with the guitar ;)
I would really love to listen to your jams since your tone and playing is much superior to mine. Please post some :D

THIS WAS GREAT, I tell ya! I f**** love what your mate did at 5:20+, pure psychodelic Pink Floyd essence! Seriously, amazing!!

Great tone guys, I love the effects you both use, very original sound. Ofc this jam has some flaws (uneven tempo at times etc), but this is normal, sometimes you try things and they either work or not. But when they did work, It was SUPERB! The overall feel was just epic. I wasn't bored even for one second, it was like a trance ;)

Please do more, much more ;) And go out and play such jam in a club, I'd pay you to hear this
Haha! his tone and playing is crazy. Sometimes he does something and I have the widest smile on my face.

I really don't know what sort of clubs would be interested in a jam band but maybe if we get a bassist.
Thanks for listening!

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:23:42 am »
Cortez the killer jam - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEmQ6PzS8fs

This is another jam with my 'band' :D. We managed to find a bassist. Again everything is impromptu. No discussions about what we were gonna play at all.
My singing is very sh!tty (Neil Young songs are really high pitched) and the mix is not so good, everything is a bit hardpanned and there is a hole in the middle and it CLIPS a few times so beware!
Let me know how it sounds to you.
I am wondering how to explore this jam band kind of setting more, any ideas are welcome.