Author Topic: When should I use the RUST 1 DVD?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline hughesa1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
When should I use the RUST 1 DVD?
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:53:54 pm »
It does not mention anywhere on the site (well, I've had a look) about when to use this DVD. Should it be used at the same time as the beginners course or after the beginners course has been complete. And if at the same time, should certain parts be used with certain stages?

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: When should I use the RUST 1 DVD?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:09:31 pm »

I did it after the beginners course (BC).  Rust is a more comprehensive look of the rhythm lessons in the BC.  Justin implies that you wait until you finish the beginners course under "Really Useful Strumming Patterns (RUST)" here.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-136-RhythmBasics1.php
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »
So long as you can change between one or two chords, I'd advise using RUST whenever you feel your rhythm is holding you back and work through it as quickly as you like or as slowly as you need.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »
I'd agree with Tourni.  You can start RUST after you have a few chords down and some understanding of eigth note strumming. 
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:03:30 am »
I bought the rust 1 DVD just after completed the beginner's course. However I think it suits perfectly to use at the same time as the BC (add 5 mins extra to your practise schedule for strumming patterns though).

Also I think you'll see which patterns to practise at what stage, for example wait with practising the ties until you hear about them in the BC(BC-165), and wait with strumming pattern 16 and forward until you hear about it in the BC(BC-175).

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 110
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:05:38 am »
I think it's useful to do WITH the course if you are struggling with your rhythm playing, or wait until the end and use it while you consolidate your chords knowledge and changes.

@sophiehiker - I just edited the web page! ;)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ComfyJammies

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:53 am »

I got the RUST stuff right at the end of Stage 7.   I've found it's a good time for it, because in the stage 8 practice schedule, he lists practicing all the strumming patterns though pattern 16.  Without the RUST 1 stuff, I wouldn't have known what to do or what exactly to practice.  I think waiting until after the whole beginner course is a little too late, because then the first half is too easy, although forcing myself to play it with a metronome makes it a little more challenging.   I'm thinking of doing RUST 2 after i finish the Beginner course.  So close now, halfway through stage 8.  These later stages definitely take more practice of everything, so I think it's another 2-3 months to finish.

Offline ambersmiths

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:46:11 am »
hey thanks for the tips guys..

Offline nfinateri

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:22 pm »
I was in the same boat with whether I should do RUST while doing the BC. So glad there is a forum to go to for tips and info. Thanks everyone!  :)

Offline hughesa1

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:06 am »
I think it's useful to do WITH the course if you are struggling with your rhythm playing, or wait until the end and use it while you consolidate your chords knowledge and changes.

@sophiehiker - I just edited the web page! ;)

Define 'Struggling with your rhythm playing'

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 257
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:52 am »
Not being able to play in time and/or up to speed for typical songs.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline OzzieDave

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 3
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 02:25:55 am »
I started toe/foot/finger/anything tapping to all and any music at all and any time I hear music from when Justin introduced it in stage 2. My tapping has now progressed and I can follow patterns far above my own skills with a guitar. I got RUST mid-way thru S4 after struggling as to stay with simple down struming as recomended or to follow my instinct in to strumming that just seems right. D DUD D and D DUDUD and D DUD DU all seem so natural that since I my computer skills and net plan stuff have improved also that I can play along with most songs in the stages.
PS I never was into Pearl Jam or Taylor Smith (Swift  ;D) but now respect their work greatly

I hope to hold back my RUST just a little so as to keep pace with the BC
I have also started the RUGS and will also just be pacing this with the BC

Any one that feels Begineer Guitar Stage 5, Really Usefull Strumming Teq and Really Usefull Guitar Stuff (1) is not enough can maybe start learning some stuff for me 8)
It's never to late to have a happy childhood!