Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix Style -- Measure 14  (Read 1020 times)

Offline bobdavis62

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
    • My Youtube Channel
Jimi Hendrix Style -- Measure 14
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »
I'm having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how best to play the rake in measure 14. One method I've tried is to start by using a D7 fifth string barre chord grip, but lift my pinky finger. Then I strum downward, the B and high E strings. Then hammer-on at the seventh fret with my pinky. Then keeping my index finger barring the strings 1 thru 5 at the fifth fret and my third finger on D string, seventh fret, I strum upward (the rake). At this point I continue to use my third finger to finger the remaining notes. Does this sound like the most efficient fingering or is there a better way?

What would really be cool is if someone could post a short video clip of themselves playing this measure and then I could watch it and learn it that way. Anybody?
Son, someday you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called... musicians.

Offline bobdavis62

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Jimi Hendrix Style -- Measure 14
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 04:52:41 pm »
Well, I've been working a few days on this now and I think I've figured out the most efficient fingering. I think I've settled on keeping my index finger barring the first four strings on fifth fret and then playing all the other notes with my pinky. When I reach over to the fourth string with my pinky it helps mute the other strings during the rake. Now its just a matter of practice to get it up to speed.

Still, it'd be nice to hear (or see) how the more experienced players on the forum would approach this measure. It's measure 14 of the Jimi Hendrix style lead guitar.
Son, someday you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called... musicians.