Author Topic: jamming other than g?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Cptshanks

• Positive Vibrations: 0
jamming other than g?
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:25:48 pm »
I have been going through the mastering the major scale dvd but I can cant understand how to translate this to other keys.  I must be missing something because I feel this is a natural progression question. 
 :-\

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 65
Re: jamming other than g?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »
I do not have the DVD.  But based on lessons on the site, I assume J is taking you through each position and identifying the root note yes?

Well that root note is G.  To play in A, move the root note to A.  That is a very simplistic way to put it.  But I wouldn't worry about it too much until you've mastered the Master the Major Scale course.  By which time it should start to be more apparent how to shift the patterns to play in different keys.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 214
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:01:46 am »
just exactly what shadow said

have your been 'going through' it properly?

Offline Cptshanks

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:58:39 pm »
I do understand how I can move the first position to A and work up the neck from there.  Im not sure how to apply the key change back down the neck when starting position 1 on A.  It seems there should be further explanation here.  I will continue to work on mastering the positions, but its difficult not knowing when it should click.  still missing some dots..  ... .... ..  .... 

Offline monteverdi9

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 4
    • http://m-verdi.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:25:07 pm »
Are you meaning that if you play the A major scale, you are unsure where the other patterns fit in?

If this is the case, take your G major scale, first pattern E shape and move it up to A.  So that your second finger is playing the an A root, now you're playing the A major scale.

If you move down the neck from there (toward the nut) you would be applying position 5 with that same A root note this time being used with your pinky.

Move up the neck (toward your strumming hand) from our first position on A and you'll be applying the second pattern or D shape.

Basically, the patterns stay in order, if you like.  Does this help at all?
Guitarists are a fickle bunch.  It's cool to go chasing after a 50's PAF tone, but put a Super Distortion in a Les Paul and you're a dinosaur.  Are we going to rock or play Sex In The City?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 65
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
The bottom of 5 is the top of 1. It just starts over.  So position 5 dovetails into position 1 just like position 1 dovetails into position 2. The twelfth fret is the same as the open strings, the thirteenth is the same as the first fret.

5 shapes cycling over and over interlocked in the same pattern just starting from a different spot.

It's beautiful, man.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 6
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:55 pm »
Didnt receive the DVD yet, waiting impatiently, but found this out on my own indeed.
The 5 patterns are linked and they just repeat their cycle like the people above said.

Mindblowing when I discovered that by mucking around in the major scale in the key of C.
So if you start in position 1 then you go back to 5 or further to 2, doesnt matter which fret youre on  :D

Cant wait for the course and to be able to blow through the major scale doing licks like a boss

Offline Cptshanks

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »
Thanks guys!  I guess its one of those things that presents itself when you complete and practice the positions.  Im the kind of person that needs to know were the lesson is leading.  This is the key that unlocked how to use the shapes. 

Thanks again!!