Author Topic: Worth buying the book if I have the DVD set?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline .Neil

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
  • Spiralling down to the hole in the ground
Worth buying the book if I have the DVD set?
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:56 pm »
I'm going through the DVD set and wondered if the book adds anything worth the expense that isn't in the DVDs?
Learning the strings one by one

Offline vsuttle

• Bedroom Rocker
Re: Worth buying the book if I have the DVD set?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:54 am »
Hi Neil

I received the book yesterday. I also have the DVD set and the Beginners Song book. I am now about ready to start moving on to the intermediate level. My initial impression of the book was very good. I like the way it is laid out, plenty of photos, easy to read font.I think these three will work very well together for any beginner. If you have been following the course then you know what to expect from the material.

Everyone is different and learns best in different ways. Video works best for some people, others may prefer books or just audio. Having all three covers lots of options. Personally, watching a video is good at first, but after that I prefer to work from paper/cd/mp3. I don't particularly like practising in front of the TV or the computer. Sometimes if I want to quickly refer to something it is easier to just grab a book rather than fire up the laptop. This book should be kept very close to your practise area at all times.

Do you get significantly more that isn't in the DVD? My initial impression is no. Is it worth the expense? In my opinion yes, very much so. The difference in presentation will certainly help me no end, and for that I'll gladly pay what it cost, which seems reasonable to me for such a good quality book. I think this one is going to become a very good seller for Justin

Now what I would like to see is a DVD set for the Song Book and another book covering the Intermediate course :-)

Vince

Offline .Neil

• School Prom Hero
  • Spiralling down to the hole in the ground
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:31:21 am »
Thanks for the detailed reply, Vince. I know what you mean about books being more convenient.
After this expensive season is over and the wallet has recovered I'll consider going for it.
Learning the strings one by one

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »
I'm a book fan.   ;D

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Paul Thurston

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:56:13 am »
+1 For a Book.

Give me a hard copy book anyday over a pdf or other electronic substitute.

I treasure my library of 'real' books in a proper bookcase.