Author Topic: Stage 1 songs.  (Read 24784 times)

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: Stage 1 songs.
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »
Not really the answer I was looking for.

@Vistor,  I'm curious.  What answer were you looking for?  Something more than tempo value?  I'm just trying to understand what your expectations are.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 44
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »

If anybody wants to buy a 2nd edition song book for cost, send me a message.

With the information you've given, I can't see how tempo values will help you. It's not something I've never used to learn any songs. I watch Justin's and/or another YT demo, and follow the rhythm and strum patterns shown. Tempo then mostly takes care of itself.

Although, to begin with, when you're getting the chords, changes, rhythm and timing together, tempo is largely irrelevant.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2012, 09:18:05 am »
I just got this book and I am not familiar with the majority of the songs in the book. I cannot play a song I never heard from memory, so I went to youtube to for the first sone - Three Little Birds. After listening to the song for at least 3 times, I still was not able to pick the guitar out of the bass, drum and vocals mix.

Your point is valid ....

two solutions ...

1] Look to see if Justin has done a video lesson here ... he has for 3 little birds and many more in the book
2] Look on youtube for the song with the words 'guitar cover' or 'acoustic cover' included in your search terms

This wouldn't be much of a problem if there was a tempo value for each song, but there isn't. How do we know if the song sound right or not?

Ta Da!

That is fine if I already have the page opened on the computer. What about the other times when I have to spend valuable practice time searching the Internet or if I am not at the computer at all?

That's a rather ungrateful respose to someone helping you ... however, here's some more help ...
searching the internet prsumably got you to Justin's lessons and site .... it is a way of finding great things ... not at the expense of practicing .. too mny of us regret those days when we don't pick the guitar up cause we've overdone our web-surfing time ...
If yo're not at the computer practice other things ... there is so much to learn ... do some chord changes, finger gym exercises etc etc

If anybody wants to buy a 2nd edition song book for cost, send me a message.

Ingrate!
Come on!
For real!
And you're gonna jack it all in because you can't be bothered to look up a few songs video lessons on the main website ... once again ... foloow this link ...
http://justinguitar.com/en/BS-000-BeginnersSongbook.php
This is an online learning course dude.

If you're still keen on packing it in ... advertise your unwanted book in the marketplace section ... but don't expect to get face value for it!

Offline Visitor

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
Delete my account.

Offline L-train

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2012, 03:28:16 am »
are you allowed to discuss other songs that use A,D and E chords in this forum?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:30 pm »
You can discuss any song you need help with or think others will benefit from learning. But if it's not
a stage one song you should start a new thread in the General Questions  section of the forum.

Offline Iain

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »
Delete my account.

You always get one.

I didn't know "three little birds" either, but it took me about 30 seconds to find a copy on youtube - I then realized I had heard it numerous times, but didn't know the name.

Offline Nick_66

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:31 pm »
Hi all,

I just received Justins songbook and now I am trying to learn the song Walk of Life. Great book by the way!

When I keep the strumming really simple it's not a big problem to sing and play at the same time but when I start to use the more complicated strumming pattern, then it goes all wrong!  :-[ I am not a beginner and have absolutely no problem in changing between the chords, but I am a beginner in learning how to play and sing at the same time. When I try to use the more difficult pattern and try to sing then my right arms makes uncontrollable movements  and I can't keep a steady strumming :D Any idea how I can learn this and play guitar without thinking in my head and sing along when I am playing?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 06:30:28 am »
Keep practising til you can play the song with the right strumming, and it's almost automatic. Then add the singing. It's harder to try and learn both at the same time.

Offline Nick_66

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:19 pm »
Keep practising til you can play the song with the right strumming, and it's almost automatic. Then add the singing. It's harder to try and learn both at the same time.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to practise harder and reach the point that I can play the guitar without thinking. Playing this song with only down strums is easy, but the more difficult pattern is another story!

The song 'A girl like you' I can play fairly well with the stage 6 pattern, but I have more problems with the strumming pattern for the song 'I walk the line'. I wonder why that is?  :-\

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 21
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 12:13:33 pm »
Nick, practice the strumming pattern, even without changing chords, just the right hand, to the point where you can have a conversation while still strumming, and then start trying to sing. It is all about automaticisation.

Also, there is a lesson on this, but I couldnt find it just then. Anyone got the link?

Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks

Offline rap1962

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2012, 05:09:21 am »
For "Walk of Life", the book mentions "spreads" but I don't see an indication of where these occur in the song.  I'm guessing it is the first and third bar of the pre-chorus but I'm not sure.  Can anyone help? thanks

Offline InsideWhales

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2012, 03:18:41 am »
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I decided this would hopefully be good.
A stupid question, but I figured it would be better to ask then not.  In the intro's and the solos of some of the songs, there are chords that are between lines. Ex. | A  D  |  E     |  A   D  |  E    |
My question is basically, what does this mean, how do I count these, and how do I play it? 
     -Also, sorry. But on the some of the solos, there are 2-3 lines of the before mentioned lines. If you have any answers I would be appreciative.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2012, 04:33:03 am »
There are no solos in the beginners songbook, it's all basic rhythm strumming.

The intro bars (AFAIK) are to identify the bar (4 beats), so [A D   ] uses the strum pattern shown for the song with the two chords in the first bar. [E] is strummed for the whole bar. And so on,

Offline FCBfan

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:59 pm »
Delete my account.

If you can't be bothered to do the least bit of research, well then... good riddance  8)