Author Topic: What is in it? Contents / Format etc  (Read 14048 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
Re: What is in it? Contents / Format etc
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 10:06:37 pm »
There is very littler TAB in the book. the TAB that does exist is clearly explained with beats and fingers.

Maybe what you are talking about are the chord charts?

Like  ||A     |D     | E     |A  E  |A   ||

That means play one bar of A, one of D, one of E, then half bar A + half bar E, then one bar A.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline MHeptonstall

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 10:13:35 pm »
Hi,

Its the fingerstyle explanation tab that is confusing me (e.g. bottom of page 59, Intro riff for Brown eyed girl)

Thanks,

Mark

Offline mercthunder

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 03:38:57 am »
Hi Justin,

I am looking to purchase one of your books. I know the basic chords already, but i am looking for a book that teaches songs and includes the tabs for those songs, not just chord strumming. Do you have a book that meets this criteria? Does your beginner book include tabs to songs, where i'd actually be playing notes and plucking, as opposed to just strumming chords?

Appreciate your assistance.

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 12:11:59 pm »
Some of the songs in the book have picking patterns in the later stages but it's mostly rhythm patterns as the focus is on ensuring a good grasp of 8th note strumming.
I would expect the intermediate songbook to contain more what you're after, but that's still on the horizon.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
The book is nice and I like it...... I was just a bit frustrated as it is hard for a beginner to get along with the styles of notation common for guitar as they are all lacking information. They assume that you know how the rhythm of the song goes. Or they assume that you will be able to see where to set the beginning of a bar etc.... .kind of a lesson on how to cope with this "lack" of information would be great.....
+1

Unfortunately this is a fact of life - neither the chord/lyric sheets nor 'tab' give you enough information to recreate a song from nothing (unlike sheet music).

You do need to know how the song goes before you can play it. Ideally, you need to know the song quite well...

You need to listen to a recording of the song to pick out where the chord changes happen (or use one of Justin's lessons where he shows you!) - the chord letters are written in approximately the correct place in relation to the lyrics in the book, but this is a guide only.

You have to listen carefully - it *is* difficult to start with.

Andy

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »
I'm trying to understand the tab notation in the book, but it appears different to what I'm used to seeing.   Can someone try and explain it to me, or is there a link to a tutorial for this style of tab?

To try and clarify my question....usually the horizontal lines are the strings...if this is the case, what are the numbers for?

Its the fingerstyle explanation tab that is confusing me (e.g. bottom of page 59, Intro riff for Brown eyed girl)

Hi,

The numbers are the frets and the lines are the strings - thinnest string at the top, thickest at the bottom. There are also note values mixed in with the tab which I haven't seen very often.

TAB lesson here:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-011-ReadTAB.php

So the intro starts 7th fret thin 'e' and 8th fret 'b' played together followed by 8th fret thin 'e' and 10th fret 'b' played together.

Have you seen the song lesson?

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-304-BrownEyedGirl-VanMorrison.php

HTH

Andy (D'oh - just seen the date on these messages  ::) )

Offline alpeters

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
Hi everyone i am new here so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

When learning songs that justin does in his songbook are they the same as orginal songs what i basically want to do is play along to a song.

Thanks

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 12:24:02 am »
Not exactly nut you can still play along.

For instance an original might be a finger style arrangement with complicated extended chords.  The book might contain basic chords and easy strum patterns but both could be played together. That's an extreme example but hopefully you get the idea.

Complexity rearranged but not so much timing, feel and key.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Kevin M

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 04:06:23 am »
So I bought the beginner song book but I'm having a hard time playing the chord to the songs and putting them together working on hey joe right now any advice?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 05:59:37 am »
The beginner's songbook is based on the beginner's course. That should give you all the skills you need in order to play at least the basic versions of those songs.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 10:13:55 am »
When I started playing this song I loved the way the anchors worked, as the chords cycled around.

If you play the Big G, then leave your ring finger where it is as you change to the D, the leave your index finger planted when switching to the A, and then slide it back one for the E, as per Stage 1, then you can get a really good bouncy feel going. And the riff on the A and open D string adds alot of fun, if you keep your rhythm going too.

Maybe try two downstrums per chord at first, before adding in the upstrums.

That said, I have always had trouble singing it as I play.

Hope that helps.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Offline Kevin M

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:44 am »
I guess what I'm trying to say is where to play the chords according to the lyrics, thats what I'm having trouble with.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:38 am »
I guess what I'm trying to say is where to play the chords according to the lyrics, thats what I'm having trouble with.

It can be very hard to either sing along and naturally 'find' the changes, or read them from text. Try playing along with the song (there's a link to a site with all the songbook tracks on somewhere). Even if you can't keep up, you'll hear where the changes come in.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:02 am »
Two answers.

If you want to learn it... do this...

If you are familiar with the Jimi version. Strum the chords until it "feels right". Hum and strum.

When you can make that go round several times  and are really locked up with it and it "feels right". Even if it's super slow it will still feel right if all your timing is on.

Now the next time it comes around sing Hey Joe. those two words will probably fall on the right place.. Try to make it through a few times just mating the Hey Joe fit.

After you get the Hey Joe down which should only take a few tires you might want to sing....

Hey Joe , mmmmmmm where ya going...   Now somewhere that A chord needs to land. It may not be dead on a word and it's going to go a lot more smoothly to be singing and letting the chords go naturally by.

Continue that process and you will teach yourself that song.

OR
C------------- G------------------------A------------------------------E
Hey-----------Joe..................ya......going...........................Gun

This......................................^^^^^^^  .. can sort of be sung to taste. the Hey Joe and Gun land on Chords but the words can flow over that A change as long as you just keep strumming in time. Your artist vocal inflection can take over there in that area. It need not fall per word on that A chord.. BUT it's right near that word going normally.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline jokkon

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
Hi there,

Just got the beginner's song book. I am a little confused about the notations. On page 6, justin wrote that I should count 1-2-3-4 and write down the chord on the lyrics every time I reach 1. How am I suppose to know how fast I am suppose to count?? Say the first song, three little birds, the first line dont worry about a thing: there are "A"s on top of worry and thing, do they mean that don't is the beginning of one bar and worry is the beginning of the second bar??

It would be great if Justin could make a video on just how to use the book. I can easily play the chords 4 strums per bar with a metronome + chord changes but I don't know whether I am playing at the right time. Please help! Thank you in advance!