Author Topic: What is in it? Contents / Format etc  (Read 14043 times)

Offline SFantastic

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: What is in it? Contents / Format etc
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:54 pm »
Seems like a new Justin Theory post may be needed to expalin the book notation for us newbies.

That said after the help I got from all the forum peops yesterday I gto home and busted out The Gambler.

I can play a fkn song wooooo hoooo!

Thanks for the book Justin.

Offline LarryPlane

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
I'm having a similar problem with the notation of chords above words. I'd have preferred to see a forward-slash (/) representing each strum, or better still, a downward and upward arrow with a & in between to get a grip on the timing. Knocking on heavens door for example seems to split the strumming between two chords, which has been hard to figure out, and I still don't know if I have it right.

With singing and counting I have started to "sing" 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 in the pattern of the song, this helps a bit.....

Otherwise I am loving the book. Makes for a great practice session after I've done with going through the various tutorials I have at my disposal. YouTube; what would I do without you?

Offline chix2

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
    • Loros charity with my song on it
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »
addin tempo might be good idea so people can put ther metranomes up to speed, but again its al lbout feel an gettin used to the song , play along with tune wether it be on your ipod youtube or cd, or even backin track if you get the track really in your head you'll be abel to your guitar up an kinda know if its the right or wrong but hey even if your playin bit slower than the orignal (if your playin unacompanied by yoursefl no track to follow ) dose that really matter i personly think its not, make  songs your own put your own stamp on them, i mix paterns up i sometime record myself doing a simple strum then pick over it an play aginast myself..
 infact recordin yourself is great idea get the song goin an where you get your changes cool then try an sing over your recordin playin of the song thenas you get used to it you can infuse the two together but only when your confindent enought to do so

Offline chix2

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:25 am »
alot times how many songs have the same chords or even the same patern to it, what makes a song recognisble the "melody" the words you sing, i know how hard it is an singin an playin at same time is no easy task yes even the big guys strugled at first.

if you can find midi tracks or backings to play along to it really helps find that groove, tempo is like speed thing, it will come an you will eventully just feel it instictivley, like in the begining  its good to get with metranome but after time practice things just become natraul..

sometime we need to lern to walk before we can run too , an not be toohaste to always jump in an try anplay along with recorded song, as this can lead to frustration you need to build these skils up over time an they will come beivlve me

an you will get them to sound like the record or aproximatley an they will be recognisble too. it just takes time.

but the thing bout puttin your own stamp on it is a good thing to do too play round with the song an the paterns,  what paterns are  given are mearly a guide. but heres somethign  go at try for bit to play it as writen then have little fun an play round  so yes i encourage both ways to play it .

Offline chix2

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 09:14:30 am »
pom

it is hard an i can fully smypathise how hard it is

thing is were all difrent we all lern at difrent rates, some need that little bit xtra some of us dont, its hard to get a balance to suit everyone. what justin has done is gone for what ide say constitutes a happy medium that helps with the main dificultues beginers strugle with ie strumin paterns tips ect this book gose way beyond an other book for beginers. ive ever seen

Offline tepe123

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:34 am »
Considering the sample pages of the book only show the songs with the chord names over the lyrics and the strumming patterns off to the side, I was wondering if that is how the whole book is? Or do all or at least some of the songs come with either tablature or notation? For example Hurt by Jonny Cash is taught in the video with chords only and a specific rhythm, then taught in an "intermediate' way with some picking and a slightly different rhythm. Is all of this information in the book or just the chords and reference to the videos is the only way to get the different versions?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:35 am »
@ tepe123

The sample is a good indication of the general style of the book ... the more advanced songs have additional detail, suggestions for strumming patterns that are more like the record rather than simple-beginnerish strums and some have tab notation for intros and special riffs that are unmistakeable parts of the song ... there are plenty of suggestions from Justin to return to a song in the earlier sections to play it differently once a new skill has been learned from a later section of the course ... remember though, it is a book aimed at beginners
 :)

Offline cameronm

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 02:32:11 pm »
When it says |A D|, does that always mean 2 beats of A, then two beats of D? Or can that mean 3 of one, 1 of the other?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:00:49 pm by cameronm »

Offline Goooner1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »
If it's evenly spaced, I'd take it as two beats of each, could be wrong though, but that's how I read it :)

If on the other hand it was written [A   D] with a gap more to one side, I'd take it as 3 beats of A and one of D, not saying I'm right, but that's how I'd read it.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 06:15:48 pm »
It means 2 beats on each chord as far as I can recall, but in this kind of "rough" notation it could mean 3 beats on one chord and 1 on the next, but your ears will soon tell you if you listen to the song!

... maybe it's on the later in i wanna hold your hand... :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Dancinbaer

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 08:58:54 am »
When learning a new song, I burn a CD of that song along with others I may want to learn. (CD's are cheap so I have put one song on a CD though). Then I listen to it over and over and over and over usually while driving in my truck. I have a 30 minute commute to work. I learn to sing along with the track until I know both the lyrics and the melody.

This has a couple benefits when learning to play it on the guitar:
1) The melody is in my head which helps with the strumming pattern and tempo.
2) When the singing changes chords, so does the guitar. This helps solve the issue others have mentioned regarding having the chords above all verses instead of just the first verse. I've learned NOT to rely on where the chord is printed on the page but rather where in the verse the change "fits".

Hope this makes sense and is of some help.
Denny

Offline Lolive

• Good Vibes 0
    • Une chambre d'hôtes sur la côte normande
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 04:42:22 pm »
Yes, Dancinbaer, I'm using the same way to learn the songs.
Thanks to Youtube, I managed to burn 5 CD ( CD1 = stages 1 & 2, CD2 = stages 3 & 4,...,CD5 = stages 9 & Bonus).
So I listen to them in my car when I go to work.
I also try to play with the record. So these Cd are very useful and I still need your songbook but when I open your book, there is one thing that is missing :

I know the stage but I don't know the number of the song I'm working on.

Maybe something like this could help (just look on the top-left of the picture, I added "BS-108" near the title of the song)

Maybe it is just a very personal need but, sorry, this is the only lack I found !
Your book is just excellent ;)

Offline scoobie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 07:50:51 pm »
Hi,

This question doesn't really fit into any of the listed categories, but this seems the closest.

As part of my training(?) I record the songs from the book as I master them, then work out the melody and add that, then try and work out my own simple solo to play over the top of that.

The trouble is working out the keys of the songs - easier with capo's, but some of them just don't fit into the standard major scale formula.

For example (Sittin On) The Dock of The Bay - at first glance it looks like the key of G, but then A should be a minor, as should B7. It's not C either as then D should be minor as should E.

I can't seem to fit them into any key - chords that should be minor are major and vice versa, from stage 3 onwards.

I realise that I could solo using the chord tones in each case, but I'm not that advanced yet.

Knowing me I'm probably missing something really simple.

Have the majority of the songs been rearranged to a particular key? If yes which one?

If not, how can I work out the key?

Thanks in advance.

Offline rot

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 09:14:44 pm »
The book is nice and I like it. There is two things that annoyed me:

Firstly the point of songs being annotated with chord names only partly etc. - this has been discussed in detail here already. I was just a bit frustrated as it is hard for a beginner to get along with the styles of notation common for guitar as they are all lacking information. They assume that you know how the rhythm of the song goes. Or they assume that you will be able to see where to set the beginning of a bar etc..

This is OK somehow as it is a common "problem". Maybe more information at the beginning (for the first songs) and kind of a lesson on how to cope with this "lack" of information would be great. Maybe thats something tat could be covered in a lesson - how to read and then play something like one of the most basic songs in he book (i know there is a lesson on reading tab and so on - but theory is different than practice).  The same is true for riffs btw. I didn't eally understand the notation enoght to be able to do it by the description - to me there is a difference between knowing how notation works and trusting my reading skills to play along with it. This is not really beginner stuff but as it is part of the beginners course somehow a lesson would be good.

The second thing I am missing is much more simple. I would have liked to have an index of all Chords (or  even more a page showing all chord shapes used and the page numrbers where they are explained) at the end of the book. An overview or index of all rhythm patterns would also be great. As I am not reading the thing from start to end and keep forgetting things like the shapes of d7 chords that would have been great.

Offline MHeptonstall

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 09:49:29 pm »
Hi,  

I'm trying to understand the tab notation in the book, but it appears different to what I'm used to seeing.   Can someone try and explain it to me, or is there a link to a tutorial for this style of tab?

To try and clarify my question....usually the horizontal lines are the strings...if this is the case, what are the numbers for?

Thanks,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:04:56 pm by MHeptonstall »