Author Topic: Beginner's Songbook: Quick Review  (Read 47487 times)

Offline irishalkies

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 31
Re: Beginner's Songbook: Quick Review
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 02:18:52 am »
I bought this the other day just to support the site.

Two words.....

No Smith's......I'm sending it back..... ;D

Nah, Justin. I've borrowed loads of song books out of the local library in the past but this one really does put them to shame with the care and attention that's been put into it. Excellent layout and a fantastic variety of songs to attempt.

Honestly, this book, coming from an actual guitar teacher (Justin, obviously) knocks the socks off anything that comes out of the regular books you often see that offer nothing except the chords, and leave you with the impression that they're nothing but a franchise to make cash.

The personal touch applied by Justin is worth the money alone. My only disappointment is, I didn't buy it sooner.

Well recommended. 10/10.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:33 am »
:)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline alpeters

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 09:06:17 pm »
Nothing touches this book on both price and quality big thumbs up and thanks to everyone concerned.

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 03:29:26 pm »
Has no one affiliated with Justinguitar posted that this is now available on iTunes, in the iBooks section?

It's a bit cheaper too, as you bypass postage, and you get it (almost) instantly. The iBook sampler download is really good, you get 18 pages and about 6 songs, so you can see how everything is presented.

I keep telling myself I should get it, as I need more song variety to practice that are set at the level I'm at.

But I'll be buggered if I can learn songs from a book - that's not a crit of this book, it's very good, it's me. I just can't 'get' the rhythm from strumming out a given pattern, I have to see someone doing it to get the rhythm, even then it's hard unless I'm familiar with the song. I have to keep running to YT for a tute...

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »
Ok, I'm keen on getting the iBooks version as I can get it instantly. Can I print pages from my iPad? I'd ask my 7 year old, but he's gone to bed.

Offline vsuttle

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2012, 10:45:51 am »
I have the Songbook in printed form (which I've had spiral bound) and also the iBook version on my iPad.  It is worth noting that the iBook version does not have a table of contents, index or a list of the songs which can make finding a particular song a little awkward.

Vince

Offline vsuttle

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2012, 11:20:17 am »
Now what would really be awesome would be some multi-media books specially created with Apples iBooks Author or similar. Just think about it. I could imagine a book that contained the notation / tab / chords / lyrics same as usual.  But also lots of links to other multi-media such as links to:

previous lessons
    chord libraries
    specific technique lessons required for that lesson i.e. string bending
    the track played at full and slow versions
    backing tracks
    video lessons
    YouTube links
    links to articles on the artist and the original recording

Yes I know that similar things have been done with varying degrees of success in the past using CD-ROMS and DVDs. But to have it all there on your portable device would be great.

Vince

Offline vsuttle

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2012, 10:02:56 am »
It is worth noting that the iBook version does not have a table of contents, index or a list of the songs which can make finding a particular song a little awkward.

Vince

Sorry, I was talking total rubbish there. I'm new to the iPad and I've now found the right button to press that brings up the table of contents. If you just scroll backwards from within the book you don't get the ToC. You have to press the appropriate button at the top of the screen. But it is there after all, so apologies if I have caused any confusion.

Vince

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 11:05:14 am »
Love, love, love the book. I don't care much about the binding. Give the book a good rub down the center and it'll stay open. I would recommend, should there ever be any changes/additions made, to add the BPM, somewhere in the upper right corner or something.

When is part 2 coming out? :D
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline griced

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:03 am »
Man, I'm a happy camper..  I know this is just getting started.. but singing Love me do out loud and hitting most of the chords ok (ok, some not so good)..  was awesome!  :D I can play a song! - and a beatles one at that!  I'm a huge beatles fan.

Right on!  Love how the beginner stages add in some songs along the way at each level. Ordered beginners songbook and ready to keep this journey a rockin'.

Cheers, Dave

Offline pete144

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »
Hi everyone. If anyone is looking to buy Justin's books ( guitar song book and beginners course) i can only say that after many books dvds etc. and many frustrating months trying to play my guitar i desided to got back to basics.Having used Justins website for a short while i took the plunge and order the above books, they came next day,and i was really surprised at the simple fashion Justin has put the 2 books together. They work really well together and along with the website are an invaluble aid to getting started .  Iam now playing a few songs got about a 12 cords down and am progressing like never before.. ok there's a long way to go but iam mucu more confident that at any time previous.    So just buy the books.. and a big Thank you..Justin :))

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »
Cheers Pete :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline mdavis6890

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2012, 08:33:20 pm »
I just paid $20 for the beginer's songbook, and I love it - but I would pay another $50 for an official spiral-bound one. Bonus points for larger pages.

Justin, if you do it, make sure that the spirals are large enough and high quality.

Offline Rich_Art

• Good Vibes 0
    • http://www.c4dcafe.com
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »
Just received my copy. Looks great indeed...

Peace,
Rich_Art.  ;)

Offline MediaMan09

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »
I really like the idea of the song book, and supporting Justin, but I really wish Justin and publisher would re-consider the decisions on spical binding and PDF.

By not offering either, the only way to get a lie-flat book is:

-order the hard-copy book
-wait 21 days
-arrange to photocopy it ( poor quality) and pay for that
-arrange for sprial binding any pay for that.

There is a simply solution here, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why Justin and publisher are not jumping on it, and thats simply to make it available in PDF.  The fact that the "publisher is not keen " is a pretty lame reason. If it were me, I would change publishers!

The PDF purchase option would be IDEAL in that:
- we could download it instantly (and not wait 21 days)
- we could use in on our computers if wanted.
- we could download to our ipads if we wanted
- we could print in ourselves (higher quality than photocopy) if we wanted
- we could get in sprial bound ourselves if we wanted

Not to mention its a million % profit for Justin - no printing/binding/shipping. Is there some other hidden cost to PDF? Fine - charge more!

Its win-win-win-win-win-win.

This is a no-brainer!

So, as much I want to support Justin (and will through other methods), I will absolutely not buy a bound book, than I am forced to wait 21 days for, crack open, and then incur more time and expense to photocopy each sheet and have it spiral bound.. and still not have it available lectronically unless I scan all the poor quality pages! Its simply not a smart option.

Please Justin, post a PDF for purchased download! Its not up to your publisher - its up to you! Tell your publisher that YOU are keen on it!

Thanks.
Godin Freeway Classic Lightburst Flame; Roland Cube 20X Practice Amp