Author Topic: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp  (Read 9909 times)

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
Re: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:40 pm »
Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

All these songs are played using the SAME 4 chords - they would not have been written in the same key, but because they were written using the same chord progression ie I, V, vi, IV and that means they can all be transposed to the same key.

You can play any song in any key as long as you follow the numbering I showed you in the post 3 back.

Hope that helps your understanding.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
@ShigenoriM

learning curve progressions to memory is just practice. The more you do it the better you'll get a visual, and learning songs for a reason e.g. band practice or something like that, is also really good way of forcing your brain to memorise information.

Another thing that you should try is to revisit the song every couple of weeks. There's something about a revisit that helps move the song into a long-term memory, I think of it kinda like the hard drive you - you wanna store all of your songs on the hard drive long term and when you actually want to a play it you need to move into your RAM where (which is the short term memory) so you can actually remember the tune. It normally takes me a play or two the move songs from my "hard drive" into my RAM I can actually play them :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Matthew_Hall

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:30 pm »
You can play without a capo and you'll just be an a different key to the original (can't play along).
It's worth getting one but until you do you can try using a pencil and a strong rubber band as a makeshift one.
i have tride a pencil and rubber band as a capo it works ok for all the string apart from but the E (6th string ) isnt held down and moves about. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this. Apart from buying a capo.

Offline _Avalon_

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »
i have tride a pencil and rubber band as a capo it works ok for all the string apart from but the E (6th string ) isnt held down and moves about. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this. Apart from buying a capo.

It seems your rubber band isn't tight enough, or the pencil is not in a good position. For what it's worth, when I don't have a capo, I just use a lace, which I tighten sufficiently enough to work!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »
The problem is, that on most guitars the fingerboards has a slight rounding to them (that's what the radius of the fingerboard is about). That's why the pencil doesn't alway work - it won't bend enough.

Be careful not to tighten your makeshift-capo too much. You don't want to break something.

You can get a real capo for less then €2,-

Think about it.

Offline NorCalMike

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 07:26:54 pm »
With respect to the A chord for this song, Justin recommends muting the low E with your thumb due to the fast strum pattern. However, I can't seem to get this no matter how hard I try without muting the high E with my hand. (smallish hands).

Anyone else had this issue and find a solution?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
Hard to tell without a photo - but try altering your wrist angle - the more parallel (to the fretboard) your wrist/forearm the more hand clearance you will achieve on the high e. Also experiment with the angle your wrist is bent at - the more bent the better the clearance, but the more bent the harder it is to get your thumb over the top - you need to find the spot that is the best compromise for the two.

And remember you are only muting, so you only need enough thumb over the top to touch the string - not play it.

Good luck dude. :)

PS - welcome to the forum.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline benigan

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:52 am »
Love this song and am trying to learn it.  I purchased the Justin Guitar Beginner's Songbook and it's great.  The chords are indicated for the first verse.  But it's very hard to fit them into the subsequent verses because the words scan differently on the lines.  Can anyone provide help?  Thanks.

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:50 am »
I assume you've watched the lesson  http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-110-CommonPeople-Pulp.php  and know it's four bars of A, four bars of E, etc...

It might help if you got a copy of the song, slowed it down so you can play along, and then played along with the song.  There are several pieces of software that will slow the song down without changing the pitch.

HTH
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:44 am »
Hi guys, I need your help.

I'm pretty cool with playing this song in the C with a capo (like Justin), in the C without a capo, in the A, etc. If only I had to just play it, it would be sweet! ...but I have to SING it too :) So that's what I'm after.

My singing range would be probably somewhere between G#2 and D4 (I know it's bad, I'm working on it too), and I'm not even entirely comfortable with the bottom and the top of this range in actual songs.

Question 1: That's my main question. What the hell is going on after the second chorus?! "Rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job...". In the key of C, I can sing the song perfectly up to this point, and I LOVE it (I think I sing it an octave lower in this key)... but right here, on "Rent a flat...", I can't figure out what the vocalist (Jarvis) does! Does he start singing higher? It seems like he starts "crying", but since I can't seem to sing along with him properly, perhaps he changes the pitch too :(

Question 2: If I change the key of the song down to make the "Rent a flat..." bit easier, I should change it to A, right? So just play like Justin without a capo?

Again, I like it in C more, so I hope someone knows what's that "Rent a flat..." bit is all about, so maybe I can learn to sing it in C :) Perhaps if you told me the notes the vocalist sings, so I know where they are relative to my range?

Question 3: On a different note, I remember Justin saying that Fmaj7 can be played instead of F in the key of C, but in this song, when played with open chords (C-G-F), Fmaj7 sounds a little weird, no? Or it doesn't sound weird?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:20:59 am by 1old3 »

Online Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 09:35:01 am »
This help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgQ1VmeELtw

Or this? http://steampunkopera.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/the-10-best-falsetto-songs/ (Which is just an excuse to put Israel Kamakawiwo’ole's Somewhere Over The Rainbow on here)

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:53 am »
My singing range would be probably somewhere between G#2 and D4

You can get the sheet music for it here for a few £ (and you can often pick up useful information from the sample page):

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0111107

In the description, it says "Voice, range: B3-G5" which is pretty wide! My singing teacher tells me that the *most* a man can hope to get is a two octave range (without going to falsetto).

Tricky song!

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 11:44:08 am »
This help?
Cheers, mate, but falsetto is a whole different story, and the Pulp's vocalist doesn't use it :) I'll link you to a video explaining what falsetto is. It's by the guy whose program I use, he's great at explaining this kinda things. I can't post a link, so here's the ending of the YouTube clip's URL: Jtcp6yBb-nk. By the way, I love Over the Rainbow too :) However, even though I'm not an expert, I don't think he uses falsetto either. He sounds pretty "connected", it's more like simply a light head voice.

Either way, I can sing Common People without falsetto, it's just that it's not comfortable, and I don't get what happens at the "Rent a flat..." bit.

In the description, it says "Voice, range: B3-G5" which is pretty wide! My singing teacher tells me that the *most* a man can hope to get is a two octave range (without going to falsetto).
Yeah, man, I'm pretty sure that most non-castrati males can never dream about singing G5, and Jarvis definitely doesn't sing it. Tenors have A4 at the higher end :) G5 is just a few notes short from being out of reach of guitar itself. I think he sings an octave lower than this too.

Otherwise, it's a useful site, thanks. I found something similar that doesn't charge you anything, check out Jellynote.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:11:11 pm by 1old3 »

Online Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:52 pm »
Ah well - you live and learn. When I took singing lessons - about fifty years ago - I don't recall anyone making that distinction. And what I hear there is Cocker breaking into a David Bowie style falsetto.

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:49 pm »
As to Common People, I found a full music sheet, and my fears were right. At "Rent a flat above a shop...", according to this transcription, Jarvis goes a whole octave up! That explains why the chords don't change and why I can't sing there easily. I start off with E3, a lovely note right in the middle of my range, but after the second chorus I need to sing E4 and even G4 all the time :( Even if we transpose it to A, E4 will become C#4, which is not too bad, but G4 will still become E4. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if it's any better in the key of A :)

With respect to the A chord for this song, Justin recommends muting the low E with your thumb due to the fast strum pattern...
On this note, does anyone know whether I should attempt muting the 6th string with my second finger when I play a mini-bar with my first? It seems to work, but I need to be careful not to touch the 5th string, which is supposed to be open.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:13:15 pm by 1old3 »