Author Topic: Any questions about tab & chord notation & printed form? Add them here please.  (Read 11882 times)

Offline alpeters

• Good Vibes 0
Hi everyone i am new here so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

When learning songs that justin does in his songbook are they the same as orginal songs what i basically want to do is play along to a song.

Thanks

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
Not exactly nut you can still play along.

For instance an original might be a finger style arrangement with complicated extended chords.  The book might contain basic chords and easy strum patterns but both could be played together. That's an extreme example but hopefully you get the idea.

Complexity rearranged but not so much timing, feel and key.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline alpeters

• Good Vibes 0
Thanks TB

Offline Kevin M

• Good Vibes 0
So I bought the beginner song book but I'm having a hard time playing the chord to the songs and putting them together working on hey joe right now any advice?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
The beginner's songbook is based on the beginner's course. That should give you all the skills you need in order to play at least the basic versions of those songs.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
When I started playing this song I loved the way the anchors worked, as the chords cycled around.

If you play the Big G, then leave your ring finger where it is as you change to the D, the leave your index finger planted when switching to the A, and then slide it back one for the E, as per Stage 1, then you can get a really good bouncy feel going. And the riff on the A and open D string adds alot of fun, if you keep your rhythm going too.

Maybe try two downstrums per chord at first, before adding in the upstrums.

That said, I have always had trouble singing it as I play.

Hope that helps.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Offline Kevin M

• Good Vibes 0
I guess what I'm trying to say is where to play the chords according to the lyrics, thats what I'm having trouble with.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
I guess what I'm trying to say is where to play the chords according to the lyrics, thats what I'm having trouble with.

It can be very hard to either sing along and naturally 'find' the changes, or read them from text. Try playing along with the song (there's a link to a site with all the songbook tracks on somewhere). Even if you can't keep up, you'll hear where the changes come in.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
Two answers.

If you want to learn it... do this...

If you are familiar with the Jimi version. Strum the chords until it "feels right". Hum and strum.

When you can make that go round several times  and are really locked up with it and it "feels right". Even if it's super slow it will still feel right if all your timing is on.

Now the next time it comes around sing Hey Joe. those two words will probably fall on the right place.. Try to make it through a few times just mating the Hey Joe fit.

After you get the Hey Joe down which should only take a few tires you might want to sing....

Hey Joe , mmmmmmm where ya going...   Now somewhere that A chord needs to land. It may not be dead on a word and it's going to go a lot more smoothly to be singing and letting the chords go naturally by.

Continue that process and you will teach yourself that song.

OR
C------------- G------------------------A------------------------------E
Hey-----------Joe..................ya......going...........................Gun

This......................................^^^^^^^  .. can sort of be sung to taste. the Hey Joe and Gun land on Chords but the words can flow over that A change as long as you just keep strumming in time. Your artist vocal inflection can take over there in that area. It need not fall per word on that A chord.. BUT it's right near that word going normally.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline jokkon

• Good Vibes 1
Hi there,

Just got the beginner's song book. I am a little confused about the notations. On page 6, justin wrote that I should count 1-2-3-4 and write down the chord on the lyrics every time I reach 1. How am I suppose to know how fast I am suppose to count?? Say the first song, three little birds, the first line dont worry about a thing: there are "A"s on top of worry and thing, do they mean that don't is the beginning of one bar and worry is the beginning of the second bar??

It would be great if Justin could make a video on just how to use the book. I can easily play the chords 4 strums per bar with a metronome + chord changes but I don't know whether I am playing at the right time. Please help! Thank you in advance!

Online misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
Hello Jokkon, and welcome :)

The most fundamental thing to know is that for all songs written out with just chords and lyrics (not just in Justin's book, but everywhere) is that you need to know how the song goes - there isn't enough information to work everything out from just a chord and lyric sheet, you would need a full sheet music score.

The chords are marked approximately over the syllable that the change occurs on, but it's really a matter of listening to the original (to get familiar with the song you can download an mp3 or look for covers on you tube, etc.)

Justin is making videos for each song in the beginner's book:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-000-BeginnersSongbook.php

He hasn't done all of them yet, but there is an older video for 3 little birds:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-515-ThreeLittleBirds.php

Which will hopefully make the chord changes clear in this case.

There are also some other song videos which pre-date the beginner's book:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-000-SongsTAB.php

If you watch  couple of videos for some of the stage 1 songs, it will hopefully make clear how to use the book.

Let us know if not :)

Andy

Offline jokkon

• Good Vibes 1
Hello, thanks very much for your reply.

I heeded your advice and bought the song from itunes store. I think I am able to distinguish the guitar upstrums sounds from the song but it still seems to me that the voice track and guitar track are playing independently of each other. I suppose I will just have to keep at it haha