Author Topic: Finding that I don't care for playing lead guitar...  (Read 1042 times)

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Finding that I don't care for playing lead guitar...
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:57 am »
Yes, it was a good video.  He moved between the different styles so easily.

I suppose rhythm guitar is so important because

a) 90% of a song is made up of rhtyhm guitar rather than lead.
b) You can't sing or dance to lead guitar (I am using dance in the loosest sense - it could just be nodding your head).

When playing for friends, they want you to play something they can sing to, and don't seem impressed by lead guitar.  Only other guitarists seem to be impressed by lead guitar.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • I've got the same guitar!
    • MySpace
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »
gareth51, that is a very nice way to put it and it's very true. ;)

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »
When playing for friends, they want you to play something they can sing to, and don't seem impressed by lead guitar.  Only other guitarists seem to be impressed by lead guitar.

You mean drummers and bass players don't like it when a blues jam breaks out?  ;)

Honestly, I learned whole songs minus the leads and it worked out better (for me) than the few people I knew who'd just noodle. Problem is they'd be tunes that me and my drummer knew and when a group of musicians from different genres got together there's be a blues jam. Here I am with no licks or tricks up my sleeve but could play tunes from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, STP, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Green Day, Nirvana, etc...

or a 12bar blues.

Boy did my drummer bud love that.  ;D

motorcyclesport.net

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • I've got the same guitar!
    • MySpace
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:33 pm »
I can only play a 12 bar blues from that list. ;D

When I go to jam with people I know it's usually tunes or simple chord progressions. Works fine too. ;)

I don't have licks or tricks up my sleeve either. Only picks. :P

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 04:11:32 pm »
It's been a long time since I played any full song. Been working on my picking technique, major scale, pentatonic/blues scale, and playing to jam tracks.

The recording stuff I've been doing is snippets here and there then piecing a song together. Really feels foreign to me but seems to work.

At least now I have a few blues licks and an understanding of keys and might be able to play something that sounded ok if a blues jam were to break out and I was actually playing.
motorcyclesport.net

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

You mean drummers and bass players don't like it when a blues jam breaks out?  ;)

I wasn't really thinking of a band situation as I haven't had the chance to jam with other musicians.  I was thinking of one person with a guitar at a BBQ or something like that.  Then the other people present want something they can sing to.  One of my wife's friends seems to be able to play the rhythm part to virtually any song and that seems to go down well.  I haven't worked out how he does it.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline Hollywood

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »
I think that's one of the biggest things that I like better about rhythm, is that when you're just playing chords, it sounds like an actual song.  I'm sure playing lead licks and such sounds cool when playing with someone doing rhythm, but since I don't know any other musicians to play with, rhythm makes me feel like I'm actually playing a song instead of just messing around on the guitar. 

Offline VenusBlue

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 09:44:40 am »
I used to be the only guitarist in my band, and always enjoyed trying to keep a full and balanced EQ with only a single guitarist and probably the worst bassist you've ever heard in your life. Whenever I play with another guitarist I don't care much for a normal lead role so much as almost a harmony role. I especially like it with riff driven music.

Stuff kind of like Amon Amarth. As much as I hate the band and song, the strange riffs in "Are you dead yet?" by Children of Bodom is a perfect example of absolutely amazing harmonies at work in the oddest places. Slayer does a lot of it, too. I'm not much for that type of metal since high school, though. I normally listen to Jazz/metal fusion type stuff that does this a lot too. Cynic does it in pretty much every song and solo in such delicate ways that it can be really hard to pick up on. I could go on about bands and how they really change the idea of a "lead" guitar, but I'm sure you get the idea. I preferred being more of a layer than an actual "I play solos" type of guitarist.
Gear;
Ibanez Rg3ex
American big muff
B-52 AT 100w
Danville 30 bracket banjo
F style Mandolin

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 10:08:47 am »
'Lead' players are ten a penny ......... good rhythm players are a lot harder to find. Laying that xx--xx down tight for the full length of a track takes a lot more skill than throwing licks and phrases in over the changes, with a solo for a start turn. Lieven is right; lead players ain't xx--xx unless the rhythm guy has his act down tight.

Too right. Not only that, the lead can get away with all sorts of stuff, and stuff ups. Mr Page anyone...?

As much as there are plenty of solos I love, the songs would be nothing without the riff. Whole Lotta Love, Back in Black, Highway to Hell etc. Everyone loves Angus, but he'd be nothing without Malcolm.

Then there's the Foo Fighters, who are all about riffs and melody, they do very few solos. They save that for live stuff and even then, it done as a bit of a rock god parody.

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:59 am »
Everyone loves Angus, but he'd be nothing without Malcolm.

Bit harsh on Angus - he was mainly the rhythm player when they started out. This comes from the point when they shared the load: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AgR1_h_ywA

It's interesting that many of the most highly rated guitarists either started out on, or spent a significant amount of time playing, drums: Malcolm Young, Pete Townsend, EVH, Jimi Hendrix are some who immediately spring to mind.

The Ramones spring to mind as another band that functioned very well without solos.