Author Topic: strings muting problem  (Read 4347 times)

Offline mmoroz

• Positive Vibrations: 0
strings muting problem
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »
I'm confused about how to mute the strings in these power chords.

For example, very first track (We Rock) has an open D power chord. The 1st and 2nd strings are easy to mute with the same index finger that plays the 3rd string. But what about the 5th and 6th strings?

Do I mute them with the thumb (which is kinda hard)? I can of course, simply not pick them, but I thought with power chords you're supposed to actually mute anything you don't need.

Thanks!

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: strings muting problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:15 am »
Thumb for the 6th string at least. you should have a finger free you can reach over and rest on both the 5th and 6th strings

2nd string shouldn't be muted though, that's the octave on an open D
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:15:51 am »
I usually recommend using the outter palm of the PICKING HAND to mute the thickest string!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:28:08 am »
I usually recommend using the outter palm of the PICKING HAND to mute the thickest string!

Sorry for the necro again.

I only seem to be able to mute the top string b4 I strum after that my hand moves and mutes them all. I presume I'm using the wrong part of my palm a la palm muting. Should it be closer to the wrist which moves less? I can do this with my thumb but like everything if I can do it properly may as well try.

Secondly I'm using my index finger to mute the thinnest strings is their a better option cause that finger likes to press the notes and it takes very little pressure on my new guitar to get a clean note.

I'm doing really well with the other power chords on the 6th and 5th strings and moving between, but these ones just threw me.

LOL.

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »
Bump...

Doing really well with my power chords but am stumped with these powerchords where the root is not held( E, A D). Problem has arisen in trying to move between the standard and these.

Anyone?

Sorry for the necro again.

I only seem to be able to mute the top string b4 I strum after that my hand moves and mutes them all. I presume I'm using the wrong part of my palm a la palm muting. Should it be closer to the wrist which moves less? I can do this with my thumb but like everything if I can do it properly may as well try.

Secondly I'm using my index finger to mute the thinnest strings is their a better option cause that finger likes to press the notes and it takes very little pressure on my new guitar to get a clean note.

I'm doing really well with the other power chords on the 6th and 5th strings and moving between, but these ones just threw me.

LOL.

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:53:41 pm »
Bump...

Doing really well with my power chords but am stumped with these powerchords where the root is not held( E, A D). Problem has arisen in trying to move between the standard and these.

Anyone?

What exactly is the question ?

Andy

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:11 am »
What exactly is the question ?

Which fingers to use for holding/muting the strings on PC with the open bass note. So many different variations each with its own problems.

Using fingers 3&4 like with the rest of power chords makes shifting easy but makes muting difficult.

using fingers 1&2 like a lot of places suggest makes shifting difficult and IMHO muting difficult.

Using fingers 2&3 shifting difficult but muting pretty easy.

Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much but I don't want to spend months doing the wrong thing to have to start again.

I know these are prolly the easiest thing but they have me stumped. Crazy I know...

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:10:30 pm »

Which fingers to use for holding/muting the strings on PC with the open bass note. So many different variations each with its own problems.

PC = power chord,  yes?

So we're talking about (for example):

6th string root - 2 4 4 X X X

5th string root - X 2 4 4 X X

Were you asking about 4th string root, too? -  X X 2 4 5 x

This is how I play them:

6th string root is easy - 1st finger on 6th string; 2nd & 3rd on 5th & 4th strings (or barre with 2nd, 3rd or 4th finger). 1st finger mutes strings 3, 2 & 1.

5th string root - same, but the tip of 1st finger and/or thumb of left hand mutes the 6th string. 1st finger mutes strings 2 & 1.

4th string root - 1st finger on 4th string; 2nd & 3rd on 2nd & 3rd strings. The tip of 1st finger mutes 5th string & thumb of left hand mutes the 6th string (maybe combined with the 'heel' of my picking hand). I usually mute the 1st string by letting my 3rd finger lean over.

Don't worry too much about which way you play them, just find something that works to start with. Later on you will inevitably use different fingerings depending on context.

Andy

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:59:42 pm »

PC = power chord,  yes?

So we're talking about (for example):

6th string root - 2 4 4 X X X

5th string root - X 2 4 4 X X

Were you asking about 4th string root, too? -  X X 2 4 5 x

Andy

Thanks Andy, no they those ones are fine, am getting to grips with those. Its these ones.

E - 022XXX
A - X022XX
D - XX023X

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 21
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:12:53 pm »
I use my first finger, the fleshy first or second joint to mute in those situations, or I just don't strum them.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks

Offline CiX

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 04:31:26 pm »
I use my first finger, the fleshy first or second joint to mute in those situations, or I just don't strum them.

Well currently I use

Index for the root and then fingers 3 & 4 on standard PC. I think this will aid me more in getting the E Shape Barre changes quicker (currently takes about a few seconds sometimes) as its just that second finger extra and extra pressure for the barre. So for continuity I may persevere with playing those open PC with the 3rd & 4th finger, and hopefully as I become more at home with using my pinky maybe muting those extra strings will just fall into place.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 21
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 04:47:20 pm »
Good idea Cix. Every now and then try fingering, then picking out each string, concentrating on muting the unneededs. Just to give your unconscious something to get to work on.

Also, for the bass notes I tend to use my thumb over the top, or the tip of the index finger to mute the string basser than the root.

I may have just invented two words, but there is a festival in town at present, and I just had two Svijanys and I don't care. Advice remains good, though.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:55 pm »
E - 022XXX
A - X022XX
D - XX023X

I would definitely not us the index for those chords - either 2 & 3 or 3 & 4 which frees the index to drape across the thinner strings. Like playing 133XXX and sliding it down a fret - the index finger has nothing to do, so you can tuck it across the thinner strings.

Thumb to mute the 6th string on the A.

I just tried the D, and my natural reaction was to try and mute both with my thumb, but also the heel of my picking hand, which was doing most of the work.

Andy