Author Topic: IM-111 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (Maj and Min)  (Read 11588 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
Re: IM-111 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (Maj and Min)
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2012, 08:33:59 pm »
The compensation for left thigh would to be to point the guitar neck more toward the ceiling then.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 06:48:24 am »
yes, point it up a bit

and

get a strap, try standing

it'll free you up no end

Offline Bug

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2012, 01:26:16 pm »
yes, point it up a bit

and

get a strap, try standing

it'll free you up no end
You're right of course. My singing teacher keeps telling me the same thing.

Could be time to get onto my feet. Standby everyone.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 63
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:47 pm »
When you do, be prepared to persevere - if you've only ever played sitting, it will probably feel dead awkward at first.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline filiped

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2012, 03:39:12 am »
heloo everyone.

I can perfectly do the E shape major barre chord, but still strugle with the E shape minor ...

Its easier if I make a 90º angle with my wrist... why shouldn't I do it that way? (justin says not to)
it also gets easier if I push up the index finger like 1 cm, but it kind cuts my index finger "side" skin... is that normal?

I dont think i need to develop more strenght, its just the technique, cause no mather how hard I press, the note will not ring (G string) at all cause of my damn skinny finger and it wont even touch the G string. with harder pression i'll just cut my finger, or do I just need some caluses there? lol

any help would be apreciated, thanks

PS: playing on a good low action electric guitar and mastered the F barre chord like 4-5 months ago.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2012, 07:51:16 am »
Its easier if I make a 90º angle with my wrist... why shouldn't I do it that way? (justin says not to)
chord like 4-5 months ago.
And, not surprisingly, he's right. Ever heard of carpal tunnel syndrome? Follow his advice, or you will hurt yourself in the long run, apart from looking really silly while playing ;)

The "major, but not minor" problem is not unusual. Chances are the G string is underneath the middle joint of your index finger. Try experimenting with different positions. When I started out, I used different index finger positions for major and minor (now I just don't think about it anymore).

Offline filiped

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »
chord like 4-5 months ago.
And, not surprisingly, he's right. Ever heard of carpal tunnel syndrome? Follow his advice, or you will hurt yourself in the long run, apart from looking really silly while playing ;)

The "major, but not minor" problem is not unusual. Chances are the G string is underneath the middle joint of your index finger. Try experimenting with different positions. When I started out, I used different index finger positions for major and minor (now I just don't think about it anymore).

thanks for saving my life :P
what about the strings cutting the skin from the side of my finger? does anyone know something about that? (in the knuckle, i think thats how you call it :p)

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
what about the strings cutting the skin from the side of my finger? does anyone know something about that? (in the knuckle, i think thats how you call it :p)

It will go as your finger hardens up a bit! Much like your finger tips hardened up when you first started playing.

(But if you have old, rusty strings, it will make it much worse, so make sure to change them regularly)

Offline filiped

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2012, 03:58:31 am »

It will go as your finger hardens up a bit! Much like your finger tips hardened up when you first started playing.

(But if you have old, rusty strings, it will make it much worse, so make sure to change them regularly)

thank you justin minions =D

Offline filiped

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »
i've figured it out :p

rested 1 day cause the skin was too red and hurting.
I tried to raise the finger like 1 cm, which the knuckle fits between the 2nd and 3rd string. now it rings clearly =)

now let me see the Minor7th and the 7th :P

Offline Ankit1010

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2013, 11:58:08 pm »
I can play the major barre chords fine, but my hand starts hurting after a minute or so, because I have to press down pretty hard with my thumb on the back of the neck to get the power I need. Did anyone else go through this? Is my technique wrong or is this just something I'll have to plow through?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 01:47:09 am »
Plow through.  It's common to feel like you have to squeeze hard when you start learning barre chords.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline goeters

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2013, 11:26:04 pm »
I have been playing Barre chords for a while. F major and F minor are not a problem...except I initially also had the same major but not minor issue described above. I simply shift my index finger up and down as required to avoid the G string getting stuck in my knuckle.

The question I have is, do other people find the strength that you have built up to play barre chords, decreases rapidly if you don't play barre chords for a few weeks?

I have been learning Robbie Williams - Angels in the Pop Songbook, and playing all the chords as Barre chords, so A,B, C#m and Fm. I found that once again the muscle below my thumb got a good workout. I had to rest after playing it through a few times.

Not sure if that also happens to "pros" or if I simply had this due to not playing barre chords for a while?

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 01:56:50 pm »
The question I have is, do other people find the strength that you have built up to play barre chords, decreases rapidly if you don't play barre chords for a few weeks?
[/b]

I'm a new enough "player" that,while I use barres,I haven't NOT used them for a few weeks.So,no help there.Sorry. :D

I found that once again the muscle below my thumb got a good workout. I had to rest after playing it through a few times.

Not sure if that also happens to "pros" or if I simply had this due to not playing barre chords for a while?
[/b]

My instructor,who has played for 20+ years and plays once or twice weekly in a band,says yes,at least in his case.
That when he plays a song heavy in barre chords,he needs a couple of "easy" songs to recover.That a "set" during a gig using lots of barres,will make him pay the next day.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 74
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
Do barre chords have to hurt or you're doing them wrong?  Seriously I can't get them right, but I can't get them to hurt either.   I have been working on an Am to Bm change and you know what I don't know?

How to prioritize what's happening.  Do I not ever move faster than I can do it perfectly? Do I stop when it sounds wrong or play through it at speed?     I don't remember feeling this neurotic about perfection when I started playing open chords, but they never sounded as bad as a bad barre.    And they all sounded about the same while the barre sounds awful next to the other chords in a song.   
Realism is relative.