Author Topic: Counting and not using e, a  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Lucianot

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
Counting and not using e, a
« on: November 16, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »
Hi there,

It may seem stupid, but I can't count saying "1 e + a 2, etc". I do speak English but is not my mother tongue and I just found easier to say "1 tih and tih 2, etc" or similare explosive short noises :)
It works for me, but as it not what Justin teaches, is it wrong to do it this way?
It helps me a lot actually to count it this way. just wanted to check I am not conditioning myself for learnign it the wrong way :)

Thanks!
Fender Strat Highway One SSS
Lag Jet Vintage  JV100
Epiphone LP100 :)

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 12
  • Make my day
Re: Counting and not using e, a
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:32:46 pm »
I don´t know what it sounds, as I´m saying 1 e + a. I´ve never recorded that. I tried to say 1 tih and tih, but I failed ;-)
I think it´s fine if it works for you and you get the rhythm of a 16th strumming pattern done. Later on you wont say what your counting and then your counting will become unconscious.

Offline Lucianot

• Arena Rocker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:27:31 pm »
Alright, I think as far as I get this down and can do it without saying anything then is fine.
Thanks!
Lag Jet Vintage  JV100

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 35
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:42 pm »
Hi there,

It may seem stupid, but I can't count saying "1 e + a 2, etc". I do speak English but is not my mother tongue and I just found easier to say "1 tih and tih 2, etc" or similare explosive short noises :)
It works for me, but as it not what Justin teaches, is it wrong to do it this way?
It helps me a lot actually to count it this way. just wanted to check I am not conditioning myself for learnign it the wrong way :)

Thanks!

Yeah I kinda do this too, never liked the 1 e and a 2 e and a blah blah.  You don't even need to say anything so long as you're feeling the pulse, which it sounds like you are, so no worries.

Offline Lucianot

• Arena Rocker
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:16:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys!
Lag Jet Vintage  JV100

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 04:43:36 pm »
I think it's better to say the e and the a because later you might need to communicate an idea to someone and it's universally understood!

Also you might wanna use different sounds if you don't like e and a... maybe use tih and tuh :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Lucianot

• Arena Rocker
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:23:16 am »
So basically is ok as far as I understand the underlying theory and know the standard practice :)
Thanks Justin!
Lag Jet Vintage  JV100

Offline saichoo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
  • I sing. I guitar. I write.
    • Sai Choo Music's Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:56:01 am »
Old topic, I know. :)

I've always used Ta-Ka-Ta-Ka or T-K-T-K (unvoiced). Ta's are on odd numbers (or downbeats), Ka's on evens (or upbeats). Definitely easier to say than 1-e+a. Sometimes I just use Ta just for eighth notes.