Author Topic: SC-113 • The Phrygian Mode  (Read 6028 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
SC-113 • The Phrygian Mode
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:54:20 am »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:50:05 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Smudger54

• Good Vibes 0
Re: SC-113 • The Phrygian Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »
Not sure about rock/metal songs that use the Phrygian mode, but if you can stretch to jazz fusion, a great example of the Phrygian mode in action is John McLaughlin's instrumental piece 'Meeting of the Spirits' from the first Mahavishnu Orchestra album 'Inner Mounting Flame' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQG7XpCiSVA). After the explosive band intro, McLaughlin enters with a 2-bar F# Phrygian arpeggiated chordal riff in 6/4 which makes a great loop for widdling over (try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wyApjeSEn8 for a live version where you can see what he is doing). Try starting with the F# Phrygian violin/bass scalar riff that follows the opening chordal riff in the original recording and work from there. The F# Phrygian Dominant scale (5th mode of B Harmonic Minor) works nicely too, though McLaughlin didn't use it on the original recording.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:19:38 pm by Smudger54 »

Offline Rile

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
    • Best guitar for beginners - how to chose the right one
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »
Justin, i think there's a small typo here that may confuse people, when you said:

...important here is to notice that many of the black notes are found just a semitone above the chord tones - there are the ones you must be extra careful with (the b5 and the b9).   (under the practice title)

The bold b5, i think you meant b6.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:48:51 pm »
@Rile - thank dude, corrected.

@Smudger54 - I know this track - it's awesome, might transcribe that solo too - very cool!.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline RobJamGun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:10:52 pm »
Hi justin!!!

I was practicing the phrygian mode playing a chord progression of Eminor Aminor and B mayor
using the E Phrygian mode over the three chords it sounded great but i was wondering is that good? is it good using a E phryian over a Eminor, A minor and Bmayor chords or do i have to use a a E phryian for the Eminor a A phrygian for the Aminor and the B Phrygian for the B mayor

Offline Vladie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:06:44 am »
Check out double talking jive xx--xx by Guns n Roses especially the live version. Slash does an awesome solo in E phrygian.

Question for Justin, Slash plays E phrygian / C major / A minor over Emaj F G chord progression and it sounds awesome. Very spanishy.

How does this work when theoretically it shouldn't

Cheers
Vlad

Offline RobJamGun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:15:55 am »
Hi!!!

Here´s another question(altought anyone has answer my last question :'() I can play pentatonics over any progression can i do that with the phrygian mode??

Offline RobJamGun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:21:27 am »
HI!!!

Answering the question of Vladie Slash´s solo  is exactly right remember that the e Phrygian scale has the same notes as the c mayor escale and the chords that you mention are in the key of C mayor (E phrygian)

Offline steveo2

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:02:09 pm »
 Hi
I am new to modes really=RobJamGun , seems you are asking two questions and both would be hard to explain, seems your wondering why a major mode can sounds good over Minor chord
There are some things that theory can explain but this is more a history question and it has to do with how the blues was made and how it affected music of today.
So if it sounds good it is good, The blue changed music people who did not even read or write words made this stuff up so that's why the if it sounds good it is good is said so much.

For years a wondered why does the minor pentatonic sound good over major chords because it does is the answer,

I am sure that theres is a reason other than it sounds good.
 The 2and 6 note of the major scale are removed which makes it sound
good over more chords.

Not sure your level but when you learn a scale like the pentatonic you need to see the major scale it comes from and you need to see the chords in the scale.

Sure of the above not sure of below this so pay it no mind may confuse a person more
I say again I don't have all answers I can see there is something going on with the 2 5 6 7 chord tones.
Since I play by ear I have seen a pattern in my studies when ever I study a scale or mode really seems that by flatting  o sharpening one or more of these tones makes a new mode or scale.
If I find the pattern I will share it LOL
Hope I have helped some.

Hi justin!!!

I was practicing the phrygian mode playing a chord progression of Eminor Aminor and B mayor
using the E Phrygian mode over the three chords it sounded great but i was wondering is that good? is it good using a E phryian over a Eminor, A minor and Bmayor chords or do i have to use a a E phryian for the Eminor a A phrygian for the Aminor and the B Phrygian for the B mayor

[/quote]

Offline lospaulo17

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:29:13 pm »
Just throwing this put there, I believe that Alex Lifeson's solo in Rush's song YYZ is entirelly in B Spanish Phrygian Mode. Could be goods for transcribing.

Offline steveo2

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:36:47 am »
Check out double talking jive xx--xx by Guns n Roses especially the live version. Slash does an awesome solo in E phrygian.

Question for Justin, Slash plays E phrygian / C major / A minor over Emaj F G chord progression and it sounds awesome. Very spanishy.

How does this work when theoretically it shouldn't

Cheers
Vlad
The Phrygian mode is used in many classical piece you said Spanish and they use that mode as well.
That might be something to look into

Offline T-Luu

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »
I started to practice Metallica's Wherever I May Roam and tried to understand the main riff. Is it based on Phrygian mode? At least there is the b2 which made me to go through the different modes. This is the first time I have seen in a song that I'm learning. Or at least I can't remember another.

And huge thanks to Justin for the mode lessons. Easily the best explanation of the whole concept I've seen.