Author Topic: SC-112 • The Dorian Mode  (Read 6178 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: SC-112 • The Dorian Mode
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 04:27:05 pm »
Yeah!

There you go.

TB did it with graphics too.

Can I delete my embarrassing gaffs now please!!

:D

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 245
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 04:44:49 pm »
Can I delete my embarrassing gaffs now please!!

No!!! you must suffer more public humiliation.

======================

BTW, to the OP. There are two things at play here as well that you probably don't know or haven't thought about.

If you want to think C Major for D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, etc... the modes of C Major.

Your chords will dictate how things end up sounding. Not only that but for each different mode youe will have to re-focus the important notes per mode. So there is no shortcut. Just because you know the dots for C Major E Shape - that's not enough if for instance you wanted to play a D Dorian solo melody ( no chords ). You still need to know which are the interesting D Dorian notes or it will just end up sounding like C Major. Same if you try E Phrygian.

Conversely if you choose to learn a Dorian Scale in each SHAPE, it's a lot of work.

THE BOTTOM LINE....... in both instances you HAVE to learn the notes and relationships or you will never pull it off.

You are at the very beginning and need to stay focused on what Justin is saying. After you grasp that basic aspect, you move to the next level and re-think some things. when it's all said and done though, there is no magic bullet. Don;t expect this happen over night like learning an easy three chord song.

Learning one mode is no easier than learning one scale. In fact the background info and practical application makes it harder to learn so set plenty of time aside. Do what the lessons say. When they say use the Pattern 1 - be sure to have it sitting on your desk with pen and note pad.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline sandomenico

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 04:52:25 pm »
Thanks Guys, esp TB for the full skinny & graphics.   Got it now!  :)

Hope you don't mind one other q.

If improvising in say A minor pentatonic scale and want to mix in the dorian, would you use the dorian position where the root note is the common A on the low E? or is there a tone shift to think about?

Thanks.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »
A minor pent suggests a song in A minor so you use the A dorian which equates to the G major scale ...

A minor pent pattern 1 based around fret 5 sits nicely in line with the G major scale (= A dorian) pattern 2 (the D shape of CAGED or EDCAG)

Offline sandomenico

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »
Thanks for the guidance

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 245
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 12:14:18 am »
If improvising in say A minor pentatonic scale and want to mix in the dorian, would you use the dorian position where the root note is the common A on the low E? or is there a tone shift to think about?

No there is no tone shift. In fact, if you consider where I said it would be necessary to learn the scale steps, that question is a prime example.

A Min Pent  1 b3 4 5 b7
A Dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 

Notice only notes 2 and 6 are missing. If you knew where they were, you could just pop them in at will. As the lesson notes, the 6 is an important Dorian tone. so where is it?  One fret away from the b7 and two frets from the 5.

so hopefully you see the importance of keeping track of the scale steps. When these lessons tell you that a mode or scale uses "x" set of notes like 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 it is understood that you are supposed to learn that and be able to identify those frets on the fretboard.

Again that lesson I have been doing in tips and tricks will bring you up to speed on that concept. You will never fully get modes if you don't learn that basic principal.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline Blindog Steve

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48:07 am »
Hi, I'm getting my head around scales and jazz stuff seriously for the first time in 40 years of playing .... and maybe ( if i understand right) a clearer reference to the fact "we are still working with the C major scale boys and girls and you should play this over a D minor backing track to here the Dorian sound" would be clearer?

please correct me if I'm wrong. and thanks Justin for all your help. :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 09:07:24 am »
.... and maybe ( if i understand right) a clearer reference to the fact "we are still working with the C major scale boys and girls and you should play this over a D minor backing track to here the Dorian sound" would be clearer?

please correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, you are wrong.
The D Dorian scale just happens to share the exact same set of notes as the C Major scale but they are definitely not the same scale ... because of
1] the root note
2] the intervals

1]
C Major scale ................................... D Dorian scale

C root note ..................................... D root note

2]

1  2  3  4  5  6  7 .............................. 1  2  b3  4  5  6  b7

w  w  h  w  w  w  h .............................. w  h  w  w  w  h  w