Author Topic: To make things less boring ?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Bruno

• Positive Vibrations: 0
To make things less boring ?
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:44:07 pm »
Hi Guitar Gurus  :D

I have bought the "really usefull strumming techniques" DVD. I thinks it's really cool. I practice strumming patterns with a metronome every day, and when i m satisfied i learn the next pattern. Playing the same chord is done to give focus on the right hand i think but it's boring.
I found a video on the site where Justin plays G-D-C | G-D-Am on pattern 9 and G-C-D on the 8th. This is a lot better to practice with that instead of the terrible E and probaly more motivating. At that time, it's too hard for me to recognise songs or even to create one  :'(

Why not share chords sequences or song names that sound cool with a given strumming pattern from the DVD?

Bruno

PS: I perfectly understood that Justin can't put songs on DVD for copyright raisons :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
    • justinguitar.com
Re: To make things less boring ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
This is on the to do list, and I'm sure it will happen at some point, but remember that part of the skill you should learn is to use different strumming patterns with the same song and see what works for you! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline smitten

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »
On the upside, I have found this DVD excellent for watching just before going to bed. :D It should be marketed as a sure-fire cure for insomnia!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:51:17 pm »
I'm that boring? :(
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Zirbo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »
I didn't find your lessons boring at all !!! I mean when I'm learning the first thing for me is to find something that is very clear ( and I'm Italian so..) and this DVD is very clear and easy to understand...plus ( and maybe it's me a little exagerate or insicure ) it's very important to have in front of you somebody who is relaxed and makes it seem simple...for me it's very important...and Justin puts me in a very relaxed mood...so it's not boring at all because it makes you want to go forward with learning...

BTW just a suggestion..and I mean I realize it's not very simple to do but I'll say it anyway...I have two friends who barely speak english ( worst than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSwCXQ2KqUk&feature=related ) and they are at a very basic level with guitar...they would like to buy ur DVDS...so it would be cool to have some subs in your videos...

again ty very much for ur teachings
Bye bye Rob

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 10
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:15:20 pm »
I have been practising the strumming patterns using the same chord progression for some time now.  I play each pattern for a minute and then increase the tempo until I can't play it well any more and then move on to the next pattern.  I am now finding that this is very uninspiring.  This isn't a fault of the DVD, though, which I think is good with everything explained well.

Yesterday, I bought a chord songbook (The Big Guitar Chord Songbook - The Nineties). I think this will be a good tool for practising the strumming patterns.  The idea is that I would pick a song at random from the book, and then use the chord progression from that song to practice the different patterns (even if those patterns are different from the original recording of the song).  Some of the songs have chords which I don't know, so I will be learning something else too.  I'll be getting 3 for the price of 1 - practising strumming patterns, learning new chords and learning a song as well.  I am not sure if this is the best approach or if I should just concentrate on one thing at at time, but I am going to give it a go.  Hopefully I will find it more inspiring that what I am doing now.  The same approach could be used with different finger picking patterns as well.

BTW - I haven't given up on transcribing songs myself, but I thought buying a songbook would be a good way of boosting my rather meagre repertoire.  
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline Mofudos

• My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
I'm getting pretty consistent with my strumming with the use of RUST 1.  The strumming patterns don't give me any trouble but what I do to invoke some flare into it is to work on putting emphasis on different notes.  It's challenging to get it sounding perfect but I know it will pay off once I finally but RUST 2.  Another thing I do is try to inject some personality within the confines of the patterns with variations in timing and such.  I don't really worry about changing chords since I'm just focusing on getting my strumming skills strong.
Guitarist in training.
Check out my musical taste here.
http://www.last.fm/user/Mofudos

Offline Mouserjan

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
Hi Guitar Gurus  :D

I have bought the "really usefull strumming techniques" DVD. I thinks it's really cool. I practice strumming patterns with a metronome every day, and when i m satisfied i learn the next pattern. Playing the same chord is done to give focus on the right hand i think but it's boring.
I found a video on the site where Justin plays G-D-C | G-D-Am on pattern 9 and G-C-D on the 8th. This is a lot better to practice with that instead of the terrible E and probaly more motivating. At that time, it's too hard for me to recognise songs or even to create one  :'(

Why not share chords sequences or song names that sound cool with a given strumming pattern from the DVD?

Bruno

PS: I perfectly understood that Justin can't put songs on DVD for copyright raisons :)

I like to use: G-C-AM-D7-back to G That's the one I use a lot. You have 2 different anchor fingers 1st finger anchor for C  AM & D7 then 3rd finger slides over from D7-G anyhoo

G-D-A back and forth

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »
You can pick any chord progression you like with any strumming pattern!

There are not rules, and you will learn a lot by trying different patterns with different chord sequences - you might even write a song!!