Author Topic: SONG LESSON QUESTIONS - Page 99  (Read 5225 times)

Offline ruggybuckle

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: SONG LESSON QUESTIONS - Page 99
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 11:29:13 am »
Thanks bud, Will keep practicing. Also heard you mention in your Ustream show about playing the D note twice, which i've been doing to get around it...until my finger develops a new joint in it ;)

Offline IanC

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 11:10:47 am »
Fantastic song to practice - just spent almost 3 hrs on it and love how a lot of it is relatively straightforward to play and sounds really good. Wish I could get the hang of the Dm though - not sure my fingers will ever go to this position without my stopping and placing them slowly and deliberately. Still I suppose its just a matter of practice.

Thanks for this Justin - Great song - wish I was up to playing Katie's window - maybe one day......

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 10
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 11:24:57 am »
When playing the Bb ...i usually bar it with the 3rd finger...i can sound the right note on the thinnest string (first fret) when i really try...but not at speed (yet).. In the meantime can i get away with just playing the note at the 3rd fret instead? (doesn't sound too bad) Or should i play it muted or just miss out the note? Would appreciate some tips on how others are doing it? I have the same trouble when i try the three finger style A shape barring  (not fast enough)....I know it's probably just practice...but would appreciate any tips :) Thanks!
I have a problem with the Bb chord too.  When I play this normally I will be muting the 1st string.  You can get away with this when strumming, but not when fingerpicking.  What I do here is finger the chord the way I would normally do it for the first half of the bar (1st finger barre on 1st fret, 3rd finger barre on 3rd fret) then for the second half of the bar, I change the position of my 3rd finger so that it is just fretting the 4th string 3rd fret.  Then I can get the note on the 1st string to ring out.  I doubt if this is good technique, but it seems to work.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline ruggybuckle

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:07 pm »
Thanks gareth51.. That's a nice tip, that i'll try. I thought of changing to a coventional F chord mid bar...but it kinda puts a hiccup in the rhythm..

Also been trying to do the Bb using the hold two strings down with one finger technique he uses with the F chord, plus the little finger obviously. (can't really fit my three fat fingers in the fret that far up the neck)

We'll get there in the end :)

Offline Ieyasu78

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:34 am »
Hi everybody!

I don't want to bother you...just wanted to say that I really love this song (as well as the rest of the album)...and wanted to ask....what's written at page 99 of Captain's Corelli Mandolin? :D

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 10
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:42 am »
I am really struggling with the Dm, Fmaj7/A and G6/B chords.  When I tried practising these for the first time with 1-minute chord changes, I got my lowest ever score! (Starting to improve slightly now).  When I am playing along with the metronome, is it best to carry on playing even if I can't get the chord change smooth or should I pause, get the chord right and then carry on with the picking at the start of the next measure?

I thought my speed wasn't to bad as I had the metronome set at 70 bpm and on Justin's tab it says the speed is 98 bpm.  Then I noticed that it was minims at 98 bpm, not crotchets.  Oh b*****ks!  I am not even up to half speed and I can't even do all the chord changes.  It is going to be quite some time before I get this one up to speed.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 10:15:31 am »
@Ieyasu78 - you'll have to look in the book ;)

@gareth51 - re chord changes, bit of both is best, work on getting them right, but also sometimes just try and play through them. Yes it's fast! But once you get it right, you will probably find the speed comes on pretty quickly, butmake sure you are getting it right first!

@IanC - it is just practice - those chords are a little different to 'usual' grips, so they just take a little time is all!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline IanC

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 09:24:16 am »
slowly getting to grips with those few unusual chords.
Just wanted some thoughts on my fingerstyle - have the pattern down quite easily as I have tinkered with fingerstyle many times over the years, but have developed the habit of resting my pinky and third finger on the guitar below the strings and letting my second finger take care of both the b string and the high e string. It seems very natural to me to do it this way, but would like to know if I should put some effort into doing it "properly" - ie: one finger per each of the top three strings?

thanks

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 01:21:57 pm »
@IanC - I wish my little finger was long enough to use as an anchor, but it's too stumpy so I can't...

But using TWO fingers for an anchor seems a bit of waste, especially there are lots of time you might wanna play thumb on bass and 3 fingers doing the chord (common jazz style too).

Up to you though, do you wanna put the effort in? I would advise getting the 3rd finger into the action, but of course it's up to you!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Jet

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »
Code: [Select]
##########################
#         Chords         #
I
C G/B Am F
C G/B Am Am

V1
C G/B Am F
C G/B Bb F
C G/B Am F
G C/G G G

C1
F F G G
C G/B Am Am
Dm Dm G G

T1
C G/B Am F
C G/B Am Am

V2
C G/B Am F
C G/B Bb F
C G/B Am F
G C/G G G

C2
F F G G
C G/B Am Am
Dm Dm G G

T2
C/G G

M1
C G/B Bb Am
F G Fmaj7/A G6/B
C G/B Bb Am
F Fmaj7 G Fmaj7/A

V3
C G/B Am F
C G/B Bb F
C G/B Am F
G C/G G G

C3
F F G G
C G/B Am Am
Dm Dm G G

T3
Fmaj7 Fmaj7 G G
Dm Dm G G

TAG
C G/B Am Am
Dm Dm G G
C/G G

M2
C G/B Bb Am
F G Fmaj7/A G6/B
C G/B Bb Am
F Fmaj7 G Fmaj7/A

#         Lyrics         #

All I can think about is page 99
about 1/2 way down, starting from perspire.
She was you, thinking of me, painting love
so beautifully.

If only you could say those words to me
and let them take us over.
If only you could say those words to me.

Can't be afraid to let the passion free inside,
just fold the corner of page 345:
a beautiful analogy, of roots that grow from
lovers trees

If only you could say those words to me,
If only you could say those words,

say those words to me.

Down by the riverside we left the world behind
communicated with our hands and eyes.
well touch means more than sounds convey, but I need
to hear them anyway.

If only you could say those words to me,
If only you could say those words,

and fill my heart with nouns and verbs.
if only you could say those words to me.

if only you could say those words
say those words to me