Author Topic: ST-324 • Layla Unplugged (Eric Clapton)  (Read 30777 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
ST-324 • Layla Unplugged (Eric Clapton)
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:00:03 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline jmcq

• Good Vibes 0
Re: ST-324 • Layla Unplugged (Eric Clapton)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:57:21 am »
I can't pick up what Justin's saying re: the strum pattern of repeat of F# B E A in the verse.  It's measures 7&8 of the verse, I can't make this come out right.  Can anyone help me with this please?

Offline Kyle76

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:50:56 am »
I think they're all down, down, except for the A's. The first A is up, up, down, and the second is down, holding for two beats before going into the chorus.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:09:51 pm by Kyle76 »

Offline bluepeter5178

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »
Questions...

Lesson Link: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-324-LaylaUnplugged.php

In your first video it appears you are playing C#m rather than C#m7.  Can you please say what chord you are playing as I think it should be C#m7.

Offline freigeist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »
In the second video at 2:15 justin says and plays C#m :)

Offline carolinidi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 03:09:24 am »
I'm looking for the ending (piano part) chord progression, I got most of it but I want to make sure I got it right. Does anybory know??? Thank you 

Offline crazyc1

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:59:18 pm »
I am having a little trouble understanding how justin in the second video goes from playing the last part of the verses which is an A chord, It then starts the riff again but he plays it slightly differently to merge them together. can anyone help?      at 2.37mins. thanks

Offline Kyle76

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »
After the A, go right into the chorus, just like the song begins. Hold the A for a couple of beats before the chorus. Lyrically, "Lay" comes just after the A, held for a couple of beats, with the "la" on the broken D chord that begins the chorus.

Offline rusty

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 06:01:31 pm »
Hi

I am working on this song, and I have been for some time so I have printed the tabs. In the solo and parts of the intro there are quite a few triplets. When you are playing the triplets do you just do a continuously down-up-down-up motion with the pick or do you do down-up-down-down-up-down? I have so far done the alternating picking, but realized that that might not be the best way to do it.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:12:04 pm »
I'm not sure if it matters that much, as long as you get the accents right - unless you want to get really close to the original. I'm (slowly) learning the song, too, and I'm used to the whole sort-of economy-picking thing, so accenting on an up-stroke (pick) is not unusual for me. But I suppose if people who are used to text-book alternate picking (d-u-d d-u-d) it might be easier to stay with that. It's probably less confusing in terms of rhythm.

Offline rookieguy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »
I remarked that the solo has only natural notes (A,B,C,D,E,F,G), does it mean that he song is in C scale ?

Offline koliko987

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 02:27:38 pm »
Anyone got tips on how to precisely strum only particular strings. In the intro strumming I sometimes hit the 5th string along the 2nd,3rd and 4th. Anyone got tips to avoid that? I noticed I can strum more precisely if I place my pinky and ringfinger on the pick guard(kinda like Mark Knopfler,except he does fingerstyle).Is that alright? I also noticed Justins hand at very beginning of the video is pretty much still at the wrist.Is his wrist touching the guitar to get more stability or does it just seem on the video?
Thanks
P.S.  Bonus question: Is it ok to place my fingers "the MK way" when I do the solos?Im doing the Stairway and it really gives me much more control but I ll be able to adapt if you guys tell me its wrong.Thanks again!

Offline Jonny5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:38 pm »
If you get used to playing songs with a 'bass - strum' pattern, e.g. hitting the bass on it's own on the beat and strumming the full chord on the 'ands', you'll learn to find the right strings in no time. It's also very useful when changing to trickier chord shapes as you can just get the bass ringing first and buy yourself some time to get the rest of the shape down.

Most players will have some contact with their picking hand and the bridge, not resting really but brushing it for reference and muting purposes.

I don't think anyone would ever recommend anchoring in the way you describe but plenty of players far beyond a level most us could hope to attain do, so it might work for you. Generally it's considered restrictive to do so and can create unwanted tension.

Offline Trying

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:18:00 am »
Hi,

Can someone help me out please. I cannot get the hang of the triplet picking needed for the intro solo. I can play the intro solo but it does not have the triplet rhythm and sounds very different.

Can anyone give me advice please on how to do this either from in the song or from an exercise that I will be able to learn this style of picking. I can triplet strum, but picking seems a whole other matter.

I keep listening to the song and watching the video (I have the acoustic songbook as well) but cannot transfer this to my playing.

As always, any and all help is gratefully received,

Cheers

Offline Trying

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 11:18:24 pm »
Hi,

First of all sorry about putting an "ST" in the "SB" section but the last time anybody posted anything under ST-324 Layla, was over a year ago. I do not think it is being looked at much these days.

[mod edit - where there is a lesson specific thread please use it no matter how old the last post - thanks - now merged]

Can someone help me out please. I cannot get the hang of the triplet picking needed for the intro solo. I can play the intro solo but it does not have the triplet rhythm and sounds very different.

Can anyone give me advice please on how to do this either from within the song or from an exercise that I will be able to learn this style of picking. I can triplet strum, but picking seems a whole other matter.

I keep listening to the song and watching the video (I have the acoustic songbook as well) but cannot transfer this to my playing.

As always, any and all help is gratefully received,

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:59:38 am by close2u »