Author Topic: RT-201 • Recording Acoustic Guitars  (Read 12589 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
RT-201 • Recording Acoustic Guitars
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:07:38 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline emby1983

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: RT-201 • Recording Acoustic Guitars
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:31 pm »
Hello Justin,

Recently I purchased some recording equipment and I tried to record my Fender acoustic I have and when I played the recordings the sound was VERY choppy. I am using a PV8 USB mixing board with a SM 57 microphone that is recorded using Reaper software. I have messed around with different distances and volumes and what not and still get that crappy choppy sound. I am afraid of the worse, that it is my sound card. Could it be something else(I hope)? If I play professional music, the sound that is produced isn't the greatest coming out of the built in speakers (laptop) but it doesn't sound all choppy like it does when I record my guitar. If you could help me out on this it would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                                                  Mark

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:50:38 am »
The audio sample rate is too low.
Download and install the ASIO4all drivers, ensure reaper is using them in settings.
open up ASIO4all settings and increase the sample rate with trial and error until it sounds smooth.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline bunnahowen

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:12:06 am »
I have a samson usb mike which i plug into reaper. my voice sounds ok and harmonica but the acoustic guitar sounds crap, very boomy and distorted. what am i doing wrong. Even finger picking there is this boom coming from the guitar. Should i be recording the guitar separately. any help gratefully received. cheers. ps seagull mini jumbo in this instance.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 45
  • I've got the same guitar!
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:14:53 am »
Where do you place your mic?

Offline bunnahowen

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »
Thanks for getting back. Experimented with different positions. Do you have a suggestion about that. Cheers

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
    • MySpace
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:50:27 pm »
I own two mics myself, of which one is a small-diaphragm and one is large.
For recording vocals and guitar into one mic (which I don't do often, obviously), try putting the mic at the height of your head, or even a bit higher, and point it to around your neck, about 30-50 cm away.
YMMV

Offline SJP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 10
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 10:29:14 am »
Does anyone have any opinion on the Zoom H-1 digital recorder ?

I'm looking for something to make simple, good quality recordings (acoustic+vocals) and to use as a 'notepad' for songwriting ideas and snippets. I've seen some very good reviews of this product and the samples i've heard were excellent too for summat that costs around 90 quid.

Also, is it possible to modify the mix of a WAV or MP3 file from these recorders using PC software ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:31:41 am by SJP »

Offline bunnahowen

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »
I own two mics myself, of which one is a small-diaphragm and one is large.
For recording vocals and guitar into one mic (which I don't do often, obviously), try putting the mic at the height of your head, or even a bit higher, and point it to around your neck, about 30-50 cm away.
YMMV
Thanks Cue Zephyr. Forgot to thank you for these suggestions. Much better now. There was also a problem with the guitar which I was able to exchange. Hope the learning is going well. Best wishes

Offline Cue Zephyr

• Stadium Superstar
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »
I got 2 other mics by now, one X-Y stereo condenser and one other large diaphragm which has a continuously variable polar pattern. The latter couples up very well with the small diaphragm I have.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:53:25 am »
Thought best to post here.

I've read the info in Justin's link, but it doesn't really help. I'm looking to make a step up from iPhone recording of my acoustic. I'll be singing too, although there's only a couple songs I can do that with so far, but iPhone recording is really tinny and loses most of the vocals. I don't have pickups on my acoustic, so looking for a low cost, decent mic option that can plug straight into the Mac to record to Garageband - unless there's a better way.

What should I look for? Just need something basic here, I've really no space for any recording gear like mixers etc

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 27
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39:54 am »
Thought best to post here.

I've read the info in Justin's link, but it doesn't really help. I'm looking to make a step up from iPhone recording of my acoustic. I'll be singing too, although there's only a couple songs I can do that with so far, but iPhone recording is really tinny and loses most of the vocals. I don't have pickups on my acoustic, so looking for a low cost, decent mic option that can plug straight into the Mac to record to Garageband - unless there's a better way.

What should I look for? Just need something basic here, I've really no space for any recording gear like mixers etc

I know this probably isn't the answer that you're looking for, but decent mics generally don't just plug into computers. Some USB mics might be an exception, but if you want to take it to the next level, you should consider an audio interface. You can get something like the Presonus AudioBox starter kit for around $200 - $250 USD and it will come with everything needed to get you started, and then, if you want to upgrade to a better mic, monitors, etc you can do it in stages.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:25:35 am »
No, not really. I have zero room for stuff. I play in a corner of the office. The Audiobox is over $300 here too. Plus they include crappy headphones, which pushes up the cost. I got plenty of good phones.

Anything fairly cheap has got to be better than iPhone hasn't it?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 27
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 10:32:32 am »
You could look for USB mics (like the Apogee MiC), but for the cost difference I really think the starter kits are a better value as they come with DAW applications, effects, interface, etc.. all things that you will likely want in the future anyhow.. and if you want to add a second mic to get more control between the guitar and vocals, a two-input interface would allow you to do that.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13:32 am »
Bummer. What about Audiobox USB or other interface and a cheap condenser? Might be able to get those for less than $200 Does the interface come with DAW etc? I do have garageband anyway.