Author Topic: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord  (Read 58452 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:09:55 pm »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:40:18 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:29:47 pm »
Most of the question that are asked in this thread are answered in the fuller lesson Justin gives on E-shaped barre chords here : http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php. He recommends it during the 'Dreaded F Chord' lesson, and it's well worth visiting for the beginner.

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:15 am »
10 month and I still have pauses in a song when I change to the F chord. I can change to to F chord over 60 times but it's still slow for songs. Good thing is that I can change it without looking on my hand but still it's not good enough. Any advice besides the one minute changes?
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:20 am »
Slow down the tempo for the song, then build up. But the F chord takes time, takes time, takes time ...

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:13 am »
those are my one minute changes.
F sounds better.
What do you thing?

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:07 am »
Ok. I did my one miute changes every day for 2 weeks or more. played everyday the F chord. I thought yesterday I will never canplay that F chord good.

Today I played people live here by Rise gainst and hurt by Johnny cash.
I don't know what happened but I can play the F chord pretty good without looking.

Did anybody of you had the same expirience?
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline Rossco01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:16 am »
Good on you Rolandson. I have had this experience on previous chords most notably C which I found a bit tricky...the muscle memory just wouldn't stick for ages. There does seem to come that point where it just clicks and from then on things get a lot easier. Throughout the course I've found the 1 min changes will only take me a certain distance to learning a chord and then I need to incorporate into a song that uses it a lot so I can also "switch off" from thinking about making the switch and the hand try to do it on its own.

I have to admit though that the F chord (and I'm not even trying to do a full barre just the mini) is still proving difficult for me. I think part of my problem is that although I'm up around the 60 changes min (although not consistently with quality) my other chords are so far ahead in fluency that when I incorporate it into a song I'm still searching for it and its a lot slower to move to.

Still everyone says its hard and I know based on other chords that I'll get there and then I'll wondered why I found it so hard.
BC started mid-Nov 2013
Yamaha FG700MS
Yamaha Pacifica 112V Silver
Fender Mustang 1 v2
Follow my very gradual progress on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01