Author Topic: BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule  (Read 4815 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:17:29 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline delta1

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:35:02 am »
Hi,

first I want to thank you, Justin, for this great course.

But what I found very helpful at the first two stages I'm actually missing in further stages. It's the rough guide "Should I move on?", which was really helpful for me, to make my decision when to move on.

At the first stage the recommended minimum chord moving speed was about 20 actual changes and at stage 2 it was about 30 actual changes. So I decided for stage 3 to move on when I'm above 40 actual changes.
Now I'm at stage 4 and at about 50 actual changes for most chord changes. But chord changes are not everything, and even for that I can not imagine if 50 is enough for moving on to stage 5.

So it would be very cool, if there would be some kind of moving on recommendations for all the stages. This would make my decision much easier, because there is always the fear to move on to early.

Thanks!

Offline Cars10

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:24:28 am »
Hi Justin,

I agree with delta1. Would be helpfull to get a hint on when to go on.

I have found some hint on the PC-501 page.
It states:
This stage is important - getting your chords and rhythm in place - don't worry about getting it "perfect" just work on it - you have more time to get it spot on - just be able to do it!

On the other hand, what is written there and on the BC-149 page seems a bit out of sync.

Quote from: BC-501
Now you want to start incorporating some basic rhythm patterns to your chord changes in some easy songs.
Quote from: BC-149
Try to keep strumming basic "4's", one down strum on each beat, and try and keep strumming along and get your changes fast enough to not have to pause between chord changes!
The Book has something like BC-501 if I remember right.
But I think I stick with what is stated at BC-149.

Would be great if that could be clearyfied.

Thanks alot,

Carsten
In the end it's all Country Cash!

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 45
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:01:20 am »
I think at this stage onwards, you have to start calling it yourself when you're ready to move on.

I can do nearly all my more difficult chords from previous stages in the 50s for 1 minute changes, but my rhythm when strumming them needs work, I struggle beyond 100bpm and I'd feel more confident when I'm still clean and in time at 120bpm, or more. I haven't added in the stage 4 chords to this yet, so there's plenty to work on.

What I'm saying is, you can't just go on numbers required or exceeded. You have to get a good feel for how well you're doing all aspects. As Justin's first stage 4 lesson says, this is a really important stage to work on rhythm and strumming - something that hasn't been covered much til now. It's an important foundation and probably should be given whatever time it takes.

I'm allowing 3 weeks to a month for each stage. I might start getting stuff sooner with more experience, but some stages will obviously be harder too.

Offline fmaj7

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:51 am »
@ delta1

hello delta 1

some things grow when we leave them without focus on it - the method of justin is focussed on all the basic important things, so I think you can go on and the stages you left behind will bring you effort even when you work in the next stage. But keep in mind the further basics. The tempo comes if you do first slowly but in a correct way.

As I started guitar playing I heard the classic Tune "Asturias" and from this moment I was fascinated and try to learn this piece. It takes a couple of years to play this in a good way, because there are many difficult barres and a high tempo (Picking pattern) . But the solution for me to reach that level was to practise all movements very very slowly, and this for a long time thats for me the secret to get a solid player. If you are able to do it slowly in a very correct movement the tempo grows without focus on it, tempo is like a sideproduct of acurate practice.

greets fmaj7

Offline yozguitar

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:39:41 pm »
what is the criteria for progressing to stage 5?

Offline ComfyJammies

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »
what is the criteria for progressing to stage 5?
I think for any of the stages, go to the practice schedule lesson (last one in each stage), and if you can do all those things comfortably, if your chord changes are decent (up over 50), and if you've worked on 1 or 2 songs and you feel good with it, then move on.  Stage 4 has some good songs in the book.  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think the Baby One More Time is a great acoustic one to learn and practice (it has that Dm in there, which is always a good one to practice).  Also, the Taylor Swift song introduces some more difficult strumming, but it's a good one to play along with the original. 

Other than that, the criteria is whenever you feel you're ready to move to the next one!

Offline yozguitar

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:58:44 pm »
The problem I have is, I can only actually play one song - three little birds. So this is why I am not sure when to move on. I have always found learning songs hard - do not know of an actual system for learning songs so I just attempt to play and get nowhere and run out of patience, plus scared to just jump to, say, stage 4 songs when I only know one song and that song is from stage 1. Feel I need to learn a few more stage 1 songs, then stage 2, then stage 3...

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
You don't need to get hung up too much on the "stages" in the songbook. The classification is there to make sure you know the chords (and to some extent the techniques) needed to play the song.

So yes, you should probably learn a few more songs, sinve that is what it's all about. But the best thing you can do is to choose songs that you really like, songs that move you, that are fun to play. Grinding your teeth trying to learn songs you find not very interesting isn't particularly helpful. And if you can find a song that's within reach for you and that you know really well, all the better - it makes things so much easier when you know a song inside out to begin with.

But...

There's no rule against moving on in the course and learning more songs as well - unless you run out of practice time.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 45
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:57:29 am »
The problem I have is, I can only actually play one song - three little birds. So this is why I am not sure when to move on.

You really need to learn to play songs, ones using the chords you've learnt - that's why we're all doing this. The learning process is the means to the end.

If you can't find enough you are really into in Justins book/course, go find them on the net. YT has plenty of good video tutes, where popular songs are put out there in beginner formats.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:43:08 am »
you've analysed your own weakness and the remedy is right there in front of you

learn songs
learn songs
learn songs

10 per stage in the songbook plus many many others if you look around

Offline Amit_9

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 03:09:38 am »
Hey guys
I've been working on these chords for quite some time now, but I can't seem to get B7 right.
I mean, I play it clean every once in a while but it takes me forever to get to position, and when doing the one minute changes I never play it clean.
Any tips that might help? I practiced, and still practice, this chord a lot of time.
To clarify what I ask- I was also stuck on C chord for a while and then saw a video suggesting placing the 3rd finger first and then the other two- really really help me.
Thanks guys I appreciate your help

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 62
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:50:52 am »
One thing that I've found that helps with any chord your stuck on is to play the chord lift all your fingers
off then play it again. It's like doing the one minute change with only one chord. When that becomes easy
take all your fingers right off and straighten them out and play it again. This train your fingers to get back
in the chord shape. After that start doing your one minute changes again with the B7 and E.

Offline lugnut

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:09 am »
Ok, so I'm really trying to work on my weaknesses... and chord changes is certainly one... at least the ones we've learned up to now.  I'll admit I jumped ahead to get some fun with power chords for a bit but now I'm back.  Without good chord changes- doing songs is almost a joke... doesn't even sound like a song.  :(

Silly question- is there a general consensus or suggestion as to WHAT I should be looking at?  I find my head going back and forth a bit... between looking at my fingers on the chords and my picking.  When I focus on my fingering I often hit the A string with a D chord for example... :(  If I focus on the picking... I'll sometimes mess up my fingers...

I'm sure this is "normal" but it sure feels dumb.  I guess it's just part of learning.

EDIT:  I just ordered my Beginners Songbook so I really need to get ready!   ;)