Author Topic: BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords  (Read 12320 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 110
    • justinguitar.com
BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Wes_FR

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:55 pm »
Getting the B7 chord to ring out clearly is terror so far. :P I'm really struggling at setting my third finger in such a position that I don't mute the B-string. Also can get a bit nasty for my pinky finger as it clearly doesn't have a lot of muscle power yet compared to the other fingers.

Apart from that, another good lesson and the chords aren't really that hard.

Offline travelerjen

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:24:27 pm »
Good lesson - the C7 and G7 were new to me. I've practiced the B7 quite a bit so it rings clear but I am struggling with the G to B7 chord transition. I am working on "sitting at the dock of the bay" which involves this chord change.  Guess I'll keep working on this one for my one-minute changes.  :)

Offline foamfollower

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:01:57 am »
I'm having problems with the C7 chord. When I initially started learning guitar I was taught the old folky type C chord using the pinky and ring fingers on the E and A strings which I now find happens naturally as I play a C chord. Changing from any chord to a C7 is a real challenge. Changing from a G to B7 was initially a real challenge as well, but after heaps and heaps of practice now falls into place. As with anything I suppose PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I know I will eventually get the C7 but xx--xx man it's frustrating

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 46
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:26:54 am »
I'm getting all of this cept for muting the low E string with the tip of my finger.  I'm doing that but the low E string is still audible!  I'm using the tip of my finger like suggested but you still hear it.

Licksnkicks
MG50DFX Marshall amp, Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  http://ladyblackmaille.deviantart.com 0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline ImagineLED

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:51:10 am »
I find it easy to mute it, just can't do it when going fast. Try putting small amounts of the tip of your finger little by little until you find the spot where it is muted

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:28:49 am »
thanks for the info.  Will give that a go!

Lnk
MG50DFX Marshall amp, Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  http://ladyblackmaille.deviantart.com 0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline ImagineLED

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:44 am »
Anything I could do to help. Sorry if it doesn't help much  but I'm just a guitar/music noob ;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:26:12 pm »
From one newb to another!lol  I'm sitting here trying to mute that stupid low E string using your method, my method anybodies method and it's not working.  Help someone.  This is driving me crazy.

Licksnkicks

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:20:43 pm »
From one newb to another!lol  I'm sitting here trying to mute that stupid low E string using your method, my method anybodies method and it's not working.  Help someone.  This is driving me crazy.

Licksnkicks

make sure you aren't accidentally fretting the 6th string in your attempt to mute it.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Estel

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:22 am »
G'day Licksnkicks. I'm just about to start this lesson. My method will be to "Dodge" the low E, ie: just don't include it in the strum. Mind you, I am using nylon string classic style which spreads the strings out a bit further so may be easier for me to do than with steel strings.
I make this suggestion before even commencing so hope I don't have to eat my words.
Goodluck.

Estel.   

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 214
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 02:07:41 pm »
you've got to practice that right hand technique - you're not really going to be whacking these chords like you might with power chords so get the accuracy right - you should not be hitting the 6th string

try setting the heel of hand down on the bridge or taking shorter strumm motions

:)

Offline TiLTED

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:12:34 am »
B7's a nightmare so far, gotta keep practicing

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 35
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »
So I was practicing G7 when I got to thinking about suspended chords.  Are G7 and Gsus2 enharmonic equivalents or is there no such thing as a Gsus2?

Offline nephente

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 04:13:04 pm »
Are G7 and Gsus2 enharmonic equivalents

No. G7 are the notes G-B-D-F or degrees 1-3-5-b7 of the G-major scale.
Suspended means to replace the third, so Gsus2 is a Gmaj where the note B, the third, is replaced by the second degree, the note A.

Gmaj = G-B-D
Gsus2= G-A-D
Gsus4= G-C-D
G7    =  G-B-D-F

As you can see, the 7th chord has four notes, major and suspended only three.
You could of course come up with e.g G7sus2 = G-A-D-F

Hope that helps!