Author Topic: BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Twistingtheshadows

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 08:58:04 pm »
Hi,

Generally I can do these chords, but I was wondering if muting the big E was necessary, as I don't think my fingers are wide enough on the ends to mute forward. I have really skinny fingers, and I guess it's probably just technique, but when I have it on the string there's a gap of about 3mm between my finger and the strings either side. Can I not just make sure I don't play the E?

Thanks.

Offline Rossco01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »
Lugnut my first advice would be to slow it down so you can do both properly....however I do understand the challenge having been there recently enough to remember (and still suffering it sometimes). So I would get the muscle memory working right from the chord hand first. The reality is it's only on the D chord (and variants) where you're having to hit the four strings. Others are all 5 or 6 strings which you should find easier (or shouldn't be as noticeable). Once you've got some muscle memory working then you'll have to think less about this hand and can then focus on getting the strumming right. You'll be surprised - if you stick at every day - how quickly it will fall into place.

BTW the Song Book will be great for you if you're at stage 4.
BC started mid-Nov 2013
Yamaha FG700MS
Yamaha Pacifica 112V Silver
Fender Mustang 1 v2
Follow my very gradual progress on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01

Offline nikolaj

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »
Hi

First of all, I'd like to say thank you Justin for all your work. Much appreciated.

Now, I'll give you guys a quick summary of the situation:

I love playing guitar and been doing so for half year or so, started out with learning fingerpicking songs and now I've moved on to these courses. So here's the thing: I want to play guitar all the time, and I want to practise and exercise as much as possible. But I'm wondering, once I've done the 30min workout of stage4, what next if I'd like to continue practise? Should I just repeat these exercises again? I am taking breaks inbetween, but I'd just like to know if there are other worthwhile exercises for me to do at this stage?

Thanks

Offline Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
Learn songs. Links to all the songs Justin teaches online are here : https://sites.google.com/site/thejustinguitarsonglist/

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:25 pm »
I have to agree. Learn song. You can extend your practice time and spend more time on the thing you are
having trouble with. But learning song os why we learn in the first place and there is no better practice
than using the thinks you've learned by using them in songs.
Justin has songs for every level of his course.

Offline krisde10

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »
Instead of creating my own thread I thought I'd jump on here for some advice!!!

I am currently at stage 4 and also wondering if it's time to move on. Below is a rundown of where I am at

1. Can play all chords from all stages so far with no buzzing etc
2. All of my 1 min changes are in the 50's or above (not always clean)
3. Rust patterns 4 & 8 are mastered at 140bpm along with foot tapping
4. I can play killing me softly and live forever from start to finish but they are not always perfect
5. Almost mastered on the dock of the bay

I have heard a few people say that things don't have to be perfect to move on so I am guessing I should but can't help thinking it would be best to get few more songs under my belt from this stage

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 05:42:16 pm »
How much time do you have a day to practice. If you have over an hour you could move on and keep
practicing the things that you don't think are up to standard. If you have less than an hour. Focus on the
things that aren't up to standard for a few days or a week then move on.
Justin recommends that you know at least 10 song from beginning to end to finish the BC. You have
almost three so you seem to be at par. But learning songs is never a bad Idea.  :)

If you feel confidant enough to move on go for it. You can always go back and review or add things back
into your practice.

Offline tobyjenner

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Playing for 18 years - Learning for two!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 06:49:54 pm »
I'd say move on but carry forward those elements you think you're struggling with or need improving. Keep on with any sub 60 1min changes and practice/learn as many songs as you can from the earlier stages.
You'll find most folk are working on learning the technical aspects of a new stage, while working on the songs from previous stages.  8)
You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

Jethro Tull

Offline krisde10

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 09:06:34 pm »
Thanks for quick replies.

Sorry I should have been clearer I was only meaning stage 4 songs. I can also play:
1. hey joe
2. mad world
3. hey ya
4. brown eyed girl
5. how to save a life

And any song from stage 1

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 09:33:41 pm »
I'd say your ahead of the curve then. May as well go to the next level.

Offline pt3r

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 10:15:48 am »
When you guys, and girls, say that you can play a song does this mean that you can play the chords sequences (4 down strums)  and sing along at the same time or are you only talking about the guitar part? If playing a song means being able to sing along then I might as well go back to stage 1 'cause right now I can only play and sing Walk the Line  :-\ .
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 11:14:52 am »
I don't personally feel that I've got a song until I can sing it. I also find that it helps to place the chords. But I don't think that this is necessarily what's expected of the learner at this stage. Just get the chord sequence right, at a reasonable speed - see if you can play along with the record.

BTW, Jeff Beck pretty much refuses to sing. He plays guitar quite well though.

Offline tobyjenner

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Playing for 18 years - Learning for two!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 11:34:03 am »
@pt3r

I'm at stage 8 and have not sung anything so far. Basically my singing voice is terrible and for years I thought I was tone deaf but now know its just abused vocal chords! Its something I'll move onto during consolidation, as I'm doing some vocal chord stretching exercises. The family now say they can hear different notes (not just the usually 2 or 3) even if they're the wrong ones  ;D

If I tried it would distract me from playing at present.

Stick with learning each stage, work on the songs and sing when you feel comfortable. For now I'm with Jeff Beck  8)
You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

Jethro Tull

Offline pt3r

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 12:27:27 pm »
Great feedback guys, thanks a lot.  :D
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)