Author Topic: BC-129 • Stage 2 Practice Schedule  (Read 8513 times)

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
Re: BC-129 • Stage 2 Practice Schedule
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:00 pm »
Hi,

1) - Yes, me too (multiple times). The good news is that after this dip for a week or two, they really rocketed.

2) - This will probably get better with practice. You may not be fretting the other strings completely cleanly, for example.

3) - Get a strap, even if you play sitting down (IMHO).

HTH :)

Andy

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 32
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:47 pm »
@chief:

1) Yes, it happens all the time. Incrementally, improvements become harder and harder to make the more proficient you become. Getting from 0 to 30 isn't that hard. Getting from 30 to 45 is harder. Getting from 45 to 60 is harder still. Getting from 60 to 75 to 90 really pushes you (to new levels of frustration if nothing else).

2) The E string is generally open. So make sure all your 'fretted' strings are pressed down firmly. If you don't have solid calluses yet, that's part of the problem. If you do, make sure you've got your fingers as close to the fret as possible, pressed down solid, but not enough for the note to go sharp, etc...  Another thing to check is that your E string is in tune. Out of tune notes always stand out.

3) Check where you are picking/strumming. You may be moving your picking hand up toward the neck, which has the result of you shifting the guitar to the right. Also make sure your body is straight and square - you're not twisting at the waist trying to read music or anything else that would put your right leg in a different spot relative to your shoulders.

Try 'anchoring' either your forearm on the 'heel' of the guitar or a finger on the pickguard and see if that helps.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline chiefsheep

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »
Thank you both misterg and mouser9169 - all solid advice (advice I can do something with!) and just what I was hoping for.

I think I was wanting to make sure I was still going in the right direction and it was great to hear that (unsurprisingly!) I'm far from the first person to have encountered these things.

Thanks again.

Rob

Offline MickeyO

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 05:53:39 am »
hi

where are the recommend chord sequences?

cheers

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »
@MickeyO Read the posts starting here to see what Justin means about chord sequences.  I don't think there's really a recommended list.
http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=16676.msg272235#msg272235

I think you can use any combination in any order of the following and it'll sound okay:
A major, D major, E major, or
A minor, D minor, E minor, or
D major, E minor, A major, or
A minor, D major, E minor.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.