Author Topic: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord  (Read 57357 times)

Offline danielboone

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: BC-161 • The Dreaded F Chord
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 07:24:00 am »
just use a capo on the first fret and play e/a/b7

Offline Oren

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:58 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. 

I feel like I'm back to square one with this after a month of work.  I guess I've broken one of the golden rules by practicing the wrong way to do something accidentally.   :-\

Without using my right shoulder my barre no longer works on the bottom 2 strings.  Also, my hand really aches after only a few minutes trying to pinch between thumb and index.  Does this mean the position of my barre finger I'd previously worked out now needs changing or is it just that I have to pinch harder?? 

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 49
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:42 am »
A month just the start in getting it. It took me 6 before I was playing it consistently, and it's still one I can duff on my acoustic. It's why this topic has a thread running for years. Barre chords are a finger and thumb pinch technique. if your hand aches doing it, you're doing it more correctly.

Little and often, you have to build up that thumb pad muscle.

Offline tobyjenner

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
  • Playing for 18 years - Learning for two!!!
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »
FWIW I've still not nailed it on my acoustic after 9 months but getting there. As I'm ok on both my electrics (super slinky on my solid and regular on my HB30) I use them for song practice but am still struggling with changes to this chord.

TB-AV's head - chord - head - chord etc sounds an interesting approach. Guess I'll try anything to get the barre working at the first fret  8)
You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

Jethro Tull

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:15 am »
10 month and I still have pauses in a song when I change to the F chord. I can change to to F chord over 60 times but it's still slow for songs. Good thing is that I can change it without looking on my hand but still it's not good enough. Any advice besides the one minute changes?
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline Tim Mason

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 8
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:20 am »
Slow down the tempo for the song, then build up. But the F chord takes time, takes time, takes time ...

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:26 am »
thanks will do that.
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline bptrav

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2014, 10:56:19 pm »
If you are looking for some songs with a lot of F chords try Donovan.  That dude apparently LOVES the F chord for some reason.  Most of his music isn't super fast either so you won't have to slow it down as much.

I guess I'm a weirdo though.  I actually find the full F chord (with barre on entire first fret) easier to play than the "easy" alternative versions.  Still not easy, especially switching from non-barre chords to the F, but the hardest chord for me so far is actually C7.  I do have a Jackson with very low action though, so perhaps that is part of the reason.

I've noticed by rolling my index finger very slightly (towards the headstock) on the first fret it makes a much stronger barre.  It's only a slight roll though.  My palm side of the finger is still the side that touches the strings.

Offline avadon

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2014, 12:21:32 pm »
My F chord changes are not really fast in songs. Most of the times the first strum just makes the sound of the Barre and from the second strum and after the F chord sounds whole. But i never stop my strumming.. no pausing..

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »
I will do my 1 minute changes and play the songs Hurt and Handsome Family - Far From Any Road until I can play it without pause and than go to the next song.
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
bptrav, I'm only just now learning the chords, not playing songs yet.  But I thought it interesting that my experience with F and C7 is just like yours.  And I also make that slight shift with the Barre finger otherwise my other fingers tend to lift the Barre finger up a bit when they come down.  Luckily I got a great tip on C7 from someone here.  Placing my pinkie and ring fingers down first and at the same time seems to have helped loads with that chord.  Again, I'm no where near playing with either chord, just doing strumming/picking and slow minute changes.  It's just amazing how advice on this board makes such a huge difference.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline Rolandson

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 11:50:13 am »
I know what's my problem with the F chord is.
I forgot to watch this video.
I made the mistakes what Justin said we shouldn't do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMhueVEz2g
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT