Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 53171 times)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 49
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2014, 12:06:26 pm »
Slow down. It's been a week. You're not going to get to 60 by next week. Get the chords first, then do the 1 minute exercise and build up through practice. I'd forget the metronome for now, you're going to chase it and fail. It's there for helping with timing, not hitting numbers.

You can certainly try 3LB slowly. It's never to early to try simple songs.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 65
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
No, don't wait; go ahead and give the song a try.  For one minute changes lose the metronome, not the point at all.  For the song get familiar with it, then start using the metronome but set it slow enough to get the changes and gradually bring up the speed.

One minute changes aren't there as a "stop and master before proceeding" exercise.  They are a focused exercise there to help you get your changes faster to support making said chord changes in a song.  It is an addition to your routine to help you learn to make changes in songs, not a replacement for learning songs

Go a head and work on the song as part of your practice routine along with one minute changes.  Both learning songs and one minute changes help you learn to make changes.  One is specific one is generic.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Online pt3r

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the explanation on the purpose of the one minute changes, I had indeed the impression that it was a only-proceed-to-next-exercise-if-you-get-60-changes-in-minute exercise.  Happy to see that is not the case.
I'll just go back and forth between the chord exercises and chord changes and have a go at the 3LB's at a slow tempo.

Offline hilts17

« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »
That's exactly what I'm doing. I've got my 1 minute chord changes up to @ 30 for each change but I've been working on 3 Little Birds this week. I'm playing it slowly right now but its coming. When I get into the groove it does sound like a song. :)

Offline fabi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »
Pt3r, Justin lays out the recommendations for stage 1 and 2 pretty clearly.  Stage 1, be able to change chords at 20 bpm and play a couple of songs.  So you definitely won't be playing them fast at first.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Online pt3r

« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »
Is there a link to these recommendations? I have been quite overwhelmed by the amount of extremely useful information so far, i feel a bit like a kid let loose in a toy store; some much stuff to look at so many things to try   ;D

Offline fabi

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »
This is the last lesson in stage 1.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see Justin's recommendations and suggestions for this stage.

•   You should know all the chords from this stage—D, A and E—from memory.
•   You should have them sounding good (if not perfect), with most of the notes sounding out most of the time.
• You should have your One-Minute changes down to at least 20 changes in a minute.
• You should be able to play one or two of the songs from the songbook, even if you have to start and stop a little bit here and there.

HTH
Started BC June 6, 2014

Online pt3r

« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »
Cheers! It seems like mere mortals like myself also stand a chance to progress ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:14:17 am by pt3r »

Offline fabi

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:39 am »
Lol Justin cautions us against waiting for perfection before moving on to the next stage (as well as against moving on while our playing is still a basic mess in the stage)
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 65
« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2014, 01:16:15 am »
Exercises are just that exercises that intensly focus on particular techniques.  Playing means playing songs.  Exercises help you improve playing songs faster.  The point is the music, not the exercises.

Just like sports.  You run, you lift weights.  But you still play the game, you don't say I have to wait until I can bench press 300 pounds or make a 6 minute mile before you start playing football soccer baseball rugby whatever.

Guitar is the same, you don't wait until you can get 60 changes per minute or do 16th notes at 120bpm before you start playing songs. 

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.