Author Topic: BC-132 • The C Chord  (Read 20405 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 69
Re: BC-132 • The C Chord
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2014, 07:10:37 pm »
Try changing from Am to C and back to Am. Once you get that up to around 60 changes try taking your
whole hand off the fret board when changing from Am to C and back.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 19
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
Work on justin's finger stretching exercises. It sounds like you just need a leeeetle bit more stretch and you'd be there.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 19
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:41 pm »
Also, capo up until it's comfortable and work on getting up to speed. Then back the capo off one fret at a time and work there until that is comfortable too. Eventually you will be down to open strings.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 36
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:31 pm »
How are you angling your fingers? If you're not already, try pointing your fingertips more towards your head rather than trying to keep them perpendicular to the fretboard.

Offline fabi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »
I'm really impressed with what you can do in a month's time!  C was hard for me too at first but my hand naturally did the angle as mentioned above and it worked.  By the time I got to G7, C was a piece is cake.  So don't hesitate to move on if you've been stuck on one thing for a long time.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline moodforaday

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2014, 02:11:02 am »
I'm really impressed with what you can do in a month's time!

So was I, initially :-) One great thing about being a beginner is that you can see actual progress every day. And since I was on vacation, and my family was away, I had tons of time to practice. Now after that first month, I am taking stock of things that work and those that don't work very well for me and trying to figure those out before I continue.

I'm not trying to rush Justin's course, either, but I did watch all the chord-specific lessons in the beginners' course, simply because I did not even know if I would be able to press them correctly at all with my left hand. I was afraid of coming across a chord where my fingers wouldn't physically be able to reach the frets. So far so good, though. C is the only one that takes me about 2 seconds to properly press.

Offline samljer

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »
Just a heads up to learn 2 chords at once, its very easy and will take absolutely no extra work what so ever. In fact, some of you are doing it already by mistake.

Ready for it?

You all know what the C chord is, and that you do NOT play the low E string. However
if you PLAY the LOW E string, you are playing a C3 Chord.  Now you now 2 C chords without
any extra work (other then an extra string on the strum hand).

BONUS:
Ready for another VERY easy chord? This will take only an extra day or so worth of practice.
If you take your B string first fret finger, and BARRE it so that it hits first fret on high E also. (so both are fretted by your first finger)

you now have  a C11 Chord.

C7 is covered later so I wont add it, and C5 is way off the original hand form.

You now know 3 C chords, and you didnt have to really do anything "much".
GL

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 69
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »
samljer  Welcome to the Forum

But You're passing on miss information.
Playing the Open E sting when playing the C chord is NOT a C3. It is a C/E a C3 chord would be the Root
and the 3rd only C and E notes in that order. Just like a C5 chord is the Root and the 5th.

The C chord with the F note added on the high e is a Cadd11 to be a C11 you need to add the Flat 7th
(Bb on the G string)

So yes you would know 3 C chords the C major the C/E and the Cadd11

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 48
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:59 am »
So yes you would know 3 C chords the C major the C/E and the Cadd11

I've had no need for these two in over 2 years of playing. So not really any extra gain, especially at the early stage of learning your first 3 chords. I'd also suggest an absolute beginner attempting a barre or sorts this early in the piece, is not likely to be much fun, or provide much in the way of useful return.