Author Topic: BC-121 • The Amin Chord  (Read 5427 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
BC-121 • The Amin Chord
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline flying.muppet

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: BC-121 • The Amin Chord
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:20:57 pm »
Hi I have started learning A, E & D minor  I find it a help to keep my first finger on the second string when changing from A minor  To E minor as the finger is on the same string as the third finger but on the second fret. so acts like an anchor finger and also helps when changing to D minor as it only has to move over to the first string.  Is this going to give me a problem later on or is it OK.

Offline flying muppet

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »
HI sorry I got it wrong being cackhanded (lefty) I thought E.m. was played on the g & B string I just found that they are played on the a & d string .  so starting my one minute changes again.???

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:31:00 pm »
ooops ;)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline nehasomany

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:57:51 am »
Hi, do we need to play all chords on 2nd fret only? I mean all Am, Dm Em  etc or to play on specific fret?
I am a newbi, so little curious.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 31
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:43 pm »
Hi, do we need to play all chords on 2nd fret only? I mean all Am, Dm Em  etc or to play on specific fret?

You need to play those chords the way they are shown because they incorporate open strings. Take the Dm chord as an example - you fret the E, B, and G strings, and play the D (and maybe A) strings open. That's fine because D and A are part of the D minor chord. If you move the chord shape up a fret, it becomes an Eb/D# chord. If you strum that chord the way you do normally it will sound horrible because neither the D or the A notes are part of the Eb chord.

Once you learn barre chords, which won't be for a while if you follow the course, you'll be able to play them at different frets to change the chords/key. For now though, concentrate on learning them and changing to and from them smoothly. If you do want to prepare yourself for later on, practice making all your chords with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers (ie: leave your index finger out). Obviously you can't do that if a chord has four fretted notes, but for the rest of them it will help you out down the line. You don't have to fret them that way all the time, but practicing now and then won't hurt.

Edit: fixed the typo Stitch pointed out *doh*
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:35:02 am by mouser9169 »
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 66
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:21 pm »

You need to play those chords the way they are shown because they incorporate open strings. Take the Dm chord as an example - you fret the E, B, and G strings, and play the D (and maybe A) strings open. That's fine because D and A are part of the D minor chord. If you move the chord shape down a fret, it becomes an Eb/D# chord.

small typo
UP a fret, it becomes an Ebm/D#m