Author Topic: BC-107 • Picks, how to choose one and hold it  (Read 29131 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
BC-107 • Picks, how to choose one and hold it
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:44 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
Re: BC-107 • Picks, how to choose one and hold it
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 05:58:14 pm »
The reasons for NOT using 3 fingers are:

1. It changes the angle of your hand when you play solos and makes the pick angle wrong. The angle the pick hits the strings in single note playing is very important especially for faster stuff.
2. The change of angle of the hand make it harder to mute strings (not something for beginners, but important later).
3. You restrict you ability to use your fingers as well (hybrid picking).
4. Most people I have seen using three fingers have too much tension in their hands.

For strumming it doesn't matter.

Yes there are many players that do things differently than everyone else, and often what they do is brilliant. BUT what I try and do with this course is teach the techniques that will work for the majority of people. And it's my opinion that it is worth learning things the conventional way first and then exploring other techniques because you WANT to, not because you can't do it the "normal" way.

But as to if YOU should change a technique? well I just don't know. Sorry. J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Tetsuo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:28:34 pm »
Hi there.
Im not using a pick..so im strumming with my index finger. My problem is.... when i try to strum UP. Witch finger should i use...

I figured out that the index finger dont work. So i tried with the thumb. It seems to work better, but every time i have to strum UP i move my thumb a little, so its nails hit the strings.. so my index dont hit the strings. The problem is..if im strumming like this..my index finger and thumb have to be moving, relative to each other...

Is this right?

ps: its really difficult to explain it with without showing.  :(

Thanks

Offline kev4naru

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:56:35 pm »
Justin do you use the Jazz III pick for electric rhythm work and strumming as well as for lead playing? I've been using it for both but kinda find it slightly short when I'm strumming chords on my electric...

I had the same problem. Since I already liked the Jazz III pick I didn't want to change picks. Then I discovered that they made a larger version of the pick, it's called Dunlop Jazz III XL. Though it's larger it feels exactly the same, and it's still smaller than a standard pick. it's great!

Offline Simonovski

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:23:30 pm »
Tetsuo, have you tried pinching your thumb and first finger together? That way they both support each other and move the same relative to each other. (I don't think it would work for picking individual strings though).

Offline criz3r

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 05:20:05 am »
Hey guys, I was wondering something...

I finger pick, and I have trouble with strumming. Any ideas? I don't like using a pick because I'm a really hard strummer/picker. I have a really low action and it causes to buzz. When I use my fingers and I'm lighter on the strings and just plain faster. There's no buzz when I finger pick either.

Offline Sl8sh

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:53 am »
You have to use your fingernails when you strum without a pick.  I did play classical guitar for a very short time (I guess now called fingerstyle) and that's what I had to do to get any volume out of my chords.  You may want to check other sources than just me.  I don't really know what's correct that's just what I did. 

Offline raul693

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 03:28:01 am »
well a nylon string acoustic is a classical guitar and classical styles do not use picks instead they use fingers, you could use one pick or individual picks, but this is quite unorthodox since classical uses the pima system (that translates to thumb, indez, middle and ring finger), for rhythm or strumming  what you wanna do is put your index and thumb together as if you were holding a pick and work on your rhythm exercises that way.

I will also suggest taking some classical guitar lessons, but that really depends on what kind of music you want to play, if you hate classical styles then you wanna get a steel string acoustic.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:46:56 am »
hi justin!
I have a guitar with nylon strings...and i dont know what kind of pic I have to choose ...¿?¿?.. (I'm doing the rithym's exercise)
now i have one 1.21 MM, i think that it's so hard.
thanks!

I learnt on a nylon string guitar using a pick - it's no problem. Just get a very thin one! thin as you can find. I love the sound of nylon strings being played with a pick, though I must confess usually when I play one these days I use my fingers.

J

Offline bwoodatstate

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:49 am »
Hey Justin,
  I have been playing for around 6 months and still can not figure out how hold the pick. I intially started with books that showed the standard (knuckle) way how to hold a pick. I am trying to learn it your way which I think will help me in the long run. Two questions though,

1) where does the tip of your index finger go, is is slightly angled at 45 degrees under the pick, or is it curled more or less???

2) Where should the pressure be? When I am holding the pick I feel uncomfortable pressure on the corner of my index finger nail. I don't think I should clamp the pick with the pads of my finger because of unwanted movement just trying to get the right finger position to be able to pick pretty fast and strum with pretty much the same grip.

Any help would be great guys, THANKS

Offline Sl8sh

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 08:18:59 am »
Wow.  I never had that problem and I used logic to give some advice close to Justin.  Although it weighs more comming from Justin than from someone who has a little too much extra time posting comments. 

Offline Schaaner

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 08:58:49 pm »
I hold the pick as Justin described; maybe a bit closer to the strings than he shows in his video. That works great when I sit - the pick is almost parallel to the strings - but I started to play the guitar standing (I have to sit a too much in my job). I don't think that I wear the guitar too low, but it's definitely lower than when I sit. The picking doesn't work good anymore because the angle is a bit bigger and I often slip over the strings without the guitar giving a clear sound. Holding the pick parallel to the strings is very uncomfortable, almost hurts.

What can I do? How do you manage that when you play standing?

Offline slackeryin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 05:13:08 am »
hi, justin~

i am your reader from Hong Kong, your website help me alot for learning
basic guitar!!

i would like to ask how much should i let the pick get on the strings?
let say, only the tip of the pick? or maybe 1/4 of the pick?

another question is what angle should we keep when picking the strings?
i confuse with this as the sound comes different with different angle.

thank you~~

Offline Sl8sh

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 05:47:47 am »
Schaaner:

Try using the tip of your pick instead of worrying about how parallel the pick is to your strings.  Standing shouldn't be all that different from sitting as far as your pick hand is concerned. 

Slackeryin:

My opinion is anywhere from the tip of the pick to 1/4 of the pick.  I say that because there are people who have a different interpretation of what "tip of pick" means and what "1/4 of pick" means. 

Offline siwan9

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »
Hi

Did anyone answer what the angle should be towards the strings? I am confused because people tell me to have it right angled which I interpret as left (as I play lefthanded) but that seems really awkward to me. Is there a close up video of the strumming hand or a picture so I can see how the pick hits the strings?

I am a beginner so I realize that just because something seems strange, it may not be wrong but I would like to get a good tecnique from the start...