Author Topic: ST-315 • Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (Led Zeppelin)  (Read 15783 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:25:42 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 17
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
Re: ST-315 • Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (Led Zeppelin)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »
Although there are good tabs all over the web for this song and a lot of people talking about technique for it I can't find anyone talking about the flamenco-type strum at the very beginning right after the first bass note. I'm not imagining it. There is some kind of arpeggio strum there if you listen carefully to the original Zeppelin I version. Hope it's ok to post links here (please someone let me know if it is not OK). If you want to check it out now here's the original that someone has posted at You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVDViSlsSM
Now please don't tell me that I'm imagining it but anyone who knows what he is doing please do let us all know? I've listened to it may times and it sounds great. It only happens that one time right at the beginning. However many times I hear it I just can't figure out what he's up to. Could it be an over-dub? Any help or suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Cooch

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:47:30 pm »
I suppose that this funny sound is just the result of pushing left hand on 4th string and picking the same string after that, so the note is sounded as if it is played twice. But I could mistaken :)

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 17
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »
I was so intrigued by this that I got that "Transcribe" application and tried to figure it out using that. If you can imagine the timing of the first four plucked notes on strings 5-4-3-1 then believe it or not he is keeping the "usual" plucked timing but is somehow shoving in two more plucked notes between the 1st and 2nd notes of the "ordinary" pattern. These are the plucked 3rd and 4th strings. It's some kind of 2-note chord light-speed sweep back!
I can hear it clearly in the slowed down playback but am at a loss to understand how anyone could pluck that fast.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:03 am »

I can hear it clearly in the slowed down playback but am at a loss to understand how anyone could pluck that fast.

Necro bump -

Not sure if you're still intersted, but I think it's a technique where you flick your fingers across the strings from a closed 'fist' to a flat hand position. I thought it was called 'rubato', but google doesn't support that. After opening your hand, the fingers are in position to pluck the strings normally.

Andy
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:31:33 am by close2u »

Offline harristom

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 01:32:38 am »
You make mention of the tabs for this lesson...... Where are the located?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 69
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 03:18:56 am »
Read the second paragraph of this page
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-000-SongsTAB.php