Author Topic: CH-007 • Slash Chords  (Read 9902 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
    • justinguitar.com
CH-007 • Slash Chords
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:46:20 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Orion

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: CH-007 • Slash Chords
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 02:52:29 pm »
Hiya Justin, just wanted to confirm something. I guess there are quite a few different variations for slash chords? Because let's say e.g. D/F# is both 2X023X as well as xx4232 and they both sound very very similar, obviously because they both have the same notes. But from experience i have found that more than 1 chord may contain the exact same notes. So how can i be sure if i'm playing the correct chord if i want to shift it around the fretboard a bit to make for a easier chord change. Let me take the same example again. As in Stairway to Heaven, this is the 4th chord in the intro and it wouldn't be advisable to play it in the form of 2X023X while we are coming from the A-7 chord. So we altered it to the other form. Any help available?

Offline player-one

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
Also, how do we know which strings to mute? I know we mute the original bass notes, but why do we mute another note as well?

Offline CortMarshall

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:55:22 pm »
Orion I think you kinda answered your own question.
(they both sound very very similar, obviously because they both have the same notes.)
You can be sure your playing the correct chord because it is the same notes.
(But from experience i have found that more than 1 chord may contain the exact same notes.)
Well then the same problem would occur with the 2X023X version. I think you're just worried about the same chord not sounding like the same chord.
My Cort is from a garbage can.

Offline Tourniquet

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:38 pm »
If you are playing from someone elses transcriptions they will usually specify if a particular voicing should be used.
If they don't you need to trust your ear and try alternative voicings until you find one that sounds better.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:52 pm »

i know justin says these slash chords are simple but ???.
  need help ,so the first is the chord and second bass note ,so x still means mute the note ,not used to the xx4232 version which side am i  reading thinnesrt e string from? used to chord grids ,will get there and i know i'll kick myself.  great forum ,good people
                                                             ta  dave :)

Offline richard91

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • -PINK FLOYD-
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »

i know justin says these slash chords are simple but ???.
  need help ,so the first is the chord and second bass note ,so x still means mute the note ,not used to the xx4232 version which side am i  reading thinnesrt e string from? used to chord grids ,will get there and i know i'll kick myself.  great forum ,good people
                                                             ta  dave :)

Left  -  Right

Thickest  -  Thinnest

So strings low E and Low A are muted   ;)

Offline julianfigiel

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:07:21 pm »
Sounds like "Freebird".
Julian Figiel

Offline smitten

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »
Questions...

For D/F#, is there any reason to mute the first string? I find it easier just to play it (2nd fret - F#). Also, I notice Justin mentions muting the A string for this one, but I am wondering why, because the D chord has an A anyway. Just wondered, as I find muting difficult.

Offline Zapped

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 67
    • My photography website
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:19:04 pm »
For D/F#, is there any reason to mute the first string? I find it easier just to play it (2nd fret - F#). Also, I notice Justin mentions muting the A string for this one, but I am wondering why, because the D chord has an A anyway. Just wondered, as I find muting difficult.

At about 3:15 in the video lesson, Justin mentions you can let it ring or mute it, but he finds that the chord "sounds sweeter" with the A-string muted. I'd suspect itt's because letting the three lowest strings play the notes F# A D makes the chord kind of muddy or bassy, even though as you point out those are technically the "correct" notes.
- Jim
Austin, TX

Offline smitten

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »

At about 3:15 in the video lesson, Justin mentions you can let it ring or mute it, but he finds that the chord "sounds sweeter" with the A-string muted. I'd suspect itt's because letting the three lowest strings play the notes F# A D makes the chord kind of muddy or bassy, even though as you point out those are technically the "correct" notes.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Any ideas on the top F#?

Offline Zapped

• Stadium Superstar
    • My photography website
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »
Ah, yes, that makes sense. Any ideas on the top F#?

I'm not sure what you mean, smitten. The F# played on the 2nd fret of the 1st string (high-E string) is just part of the standard fingering of an open-D chord.
- Jim
Austin, TX

Offline smitten

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean, smitten. The F# played on the 2nd fret of the 1st string (high-E string) is just part of the standard fingering of an open-D chord.

Yes I know. But in the lesson on slash chords, for the D/F#, that F# is muted. I can't work out why.

Offline Zapped

• Stadium Superstar
    • My photography website
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:05:25 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean. Without reviewing the video again, I'd just guess it's an easier chord to hold if you depress the frets on the 2nd (B), 3rd (G), and 6th (low-E) strings, play the 4th (D) string open, while leaving the 1st (high-E) and 5th (A) string muted.
- Jim
Austin, TX

Offline smitten

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean. Without reviewing the video again, I'd just guess it's an easier chord to hold if you depress the frets on the 2nd (B), 3rd (G), and 6th (low-E) strings, play the 4th (D) string open, while leaving the 1st (high-E) and 5th (A) string muted.

Ah, I see, thanks. I was wondering if there was a deeper reason. I find it easier to play than to mute. So I will just play. :)