Author Topic: PC-801 • My Thoughts On Learning  (Read 16300 times)

Offline JonnyKaine

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
    • Home Studio Essentials
Re: TB-040 • My Thoughts On Learning
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:15:35 am »
Re: Tab / notation.

I like to use a mix of the two really. I use the notation to let me know the rhythm of what I'm playing and the tab to know where to play it. I find this combination is sort of the best of both worlds.

Using this technique you don't really have to know how to read notation fully, just how to read rhythm (which is pretty easy to pick up, I think.)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 46
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 03:39:38 pm »
Re: Tab / notation.

I like to use a mix of the two really. I use the notation to let me know the rhythm of what I'm playing and the tab to know where to play it. I find this combination is sort of the best of both worlds.

Using this technique you don't really have to know how to read notation fully, just how to read rhythm (which is pretty easy to pick up, I think.)

i have done this too!  It helps you to make the song much more accurate.  I read music as well but because I don't do it as much as I should I use tab.  Just another tool in the guitarists arsenal.
MG50DFX Marshall amp, Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  http://ladyblackmaille.deviantart.com 0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline JonnyKaine

• Bedroom Rocker
    • Home Studio Essentials
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:40 am »
Yeah I can read music - but not very quickly. I mean I find it much easier to figure out the fingerings by looking at the tab than by figuring it out from the proper sheet music. It's great for what it is (and for showing hammers/slides etc) but it's bad for rhythm... which is where reading the notes comes in handy. A lot of music books have the notes and the tab right below; so that's perfect.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 46
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 04:47:43 pm »
You should look at tab as another arsenal in your guitar tool box.  For timining I usually look at musical notation as well.  I can read music too but I can only do it a turtle speed.  I'm sure if I used it as much as I do tab that I would be  more adept at reading it ;)
MG50DFX Marshall amp, Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  http://ladyblackmaille.deviantart.com 0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline widmuxxx

Re: PC-801 • My Thoughts On Learning
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:04:19 pm »
Hellow everybody,

I just wanted to ask if there is some interactive practicing program, which could help to learn and change between chords. It could be some kind of software using the microphone and telling if you are playing that or another chord correctly, same time showing you in the screen what exactly to play? I meant like typing programs or smth.?

Would be cool if someone would create that program!!!

Offline Goooner1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 5
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 04:12:37 pm »
There are plenty of resources that will show you the correct chord charts, sureley you just need your ears to tell if you're playing it right?

Offline widmuxxx

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 04:56:21 pm »
No, you didn't understand, i mean, i know what chords look like and how to play them. I'm just currious if there is no such a computer program with whom would be just a funnier way to learn - like you are learning a blind typing with a game like this: http://www.onlytypinggames.com/games/air-typer/. I need to learn to change between chords faster, but it is not very motivating to sit and try with no feedback :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 06:35:40 am »
I need to learn to change between chords faster, but it is not very motivating to sit and try with no feedback :)

play songs
if necessary use software like Audacity to slow them down a little so you can play along
use the one-minute-changes as a speed development exercise
 :)

Offline Elemeno P

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 09:50:33 pm »
I need to learn to change between chords faster, but it is not very motivating to sit and try with no feedback :)

play songs
if necessary use software like Audacity to slow them down a little so you can play along
use the one-minute-changes as a speed development exercise
 :)

Thanks for the heads up on Audacity.  That's going to help a lot on songs I'm not too familiar on.

Offline rpreisendanz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 03:18:31 am »
Hi Justin (I hope),  I recently retired and care for my ill wife. I have been playing guitar since I was fourteen, but I was mainly a guitar jammer-(blues etc.) Until recently, when I started taking lessons on your web site. Since then I have improved tremendously and I have written and recorded a number of songs and will continue to do so.  When you spoke of setting goals for ourselves, I have to say that my goal is to keep writing melodic songs like "Yesterday" SHape of My Heart", etc that have deep meaning. The scales and arpeggios have been very valuable also. I am not interested in being another Steve Vai, my fingers are a little short for that, but I am very interested in knowing the theory of music as well as practicing everything I can. Time is limited for me so I need to break it up to where I can care for my wife and my other duties. Can you or anyone give any advice that they could give as to what my priorities I should be practicing

Questions...

Lesson Link: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PC-801-JusPhilosophy.php
[/quote]