Author Topic: RO-003 • Fast Rock Licks For Beginners  (Read 31399 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 110
    • justinguitar.com
RO-003 • Fast Rock Licks For Beginners
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:07:38 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:47:27 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline guitar_albo

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
  • Rock it, baby!
Re: RO-003 • Fast Rock Licks For Beginners
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:42:46 pm »
Hi Justin: Awesome site, lessons and talent. Sorry I can afford now, but I will... promise (A couple of months and I will finish my engineering career).

I have seen this video lesson a few times and try to make the exercise with cristal clarity. Considering what you always say "do it slowly first", I'm trying to do the exercise at 80 bpm or similar. It's OK, but you give a trick in the video: you keep the 2nd string muted using your first finger, and this action prevents the sound of the two first strings to "join" and sound awful. My question is:

DO I have to mute the first string when I pick the second string??? You explain that the 2nd string has to be muted when picking the first one, and I was wondering if I really have to mute the first string when picking the second because the note on the second string has less duration than the others in the first string, but when I try to do it slowly the sounds of these two strings seems to "join" and it feels nothing good (I don't know if the word join is the correct one, seems the only word that fit in what I'm trying to explain).

Regards from Chile, South America

P.S.: In Chile we speak spanish, so I apologize if my "tarzan english" confused you
Ibanez RG-270 (DiMarzio "Air Norton" and "Steve's Special" added to neck and bridge respectively)
Korg AX1500-G effect pedal
Laney VC30-112

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:48:53 pm »

DO I have to mute the first string when I pick the second string??? You explain that the 2nd string has to be muted when picking the first one, and I was wondering if I really have to mute the first string when picking the second because the note on the second string has less duration than the others in the first string, but when I try to do it slowly the sounds of these two strings seems to "join" and it feels nothing good (I don't know if the word join is the correct one, seems the only word that fit in what I'm trying to explain).

Try and mute the string that is not playing - you should lift your 1st finger a little as you play the note on the 2nd string - or let the underside of your second finger lightly touch the 1st string - both work!!

.... and thanks :) J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Bones

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:13:40 am »
Hi Justin
Nice website you got going. I've been playing the guitar for over 10 years now, but still i learn some stuff from your website. I also had lessons for 10 years, but i stopped that because it was boring and i didn't learn a lot from it. I've also been in a couple of bands and i am the lead guitarist in my current band.
Since i stopped my guitar lessons and since i am in the band, i feel like i'm learning a lot more. Lately my goal is to improve my speed, so i can also play the really really fast solos as well. You've got some lessons on the website about developing speed in your left hand. Do you also have some tips/lessons on how to improve the speed in your right hand, and still be able to pick a single string? I find it really hard to develop the speed i my right hand without hitting unwanted strings.
Also i'm having a little trouble with the little finger of my left hand. I always use the tips of every finger, but somehow i'm having trouble to get my little finger under controle. It automatically drifts away from the neck while i'm playing, usually stretching it completely instead of hovering over the strings. And when it comes down again, i usually hit the string with the flat side of my little finger, instead of the tip. Do you have any hints or exercises to train that little finger to stay bend?

Regards from The Netherlands

Offline cheesus

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:47:10 am »
Just one question, what is a decently fast speed to gain up to on the metronome using this lick ? Havn't really tried using the metronome with this lick but can't seem to get very fast with it so I'm going to be taking that root and just would like to get an estimation of how fast this lick should be played in order to obtain a proper shred sound..Thanks

Offline (The) Rock

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:54:59 am »
Hi Justin
Nice website you got going. I've been playing the guitar for over 10 years now, but still i learn some stuff from your website. I also had lessons for 10 years, but i stopped that because it was boring and i didn't learn a lot from it. I've also been in a couple of bands and i am the lead guitarist in my current band.
Since i stopped my guitar lessons and since i am in the band, i feel like i'm learning a lot more. Lately my goal is to improve my speed, so i can also play the really really fast solos as well. You've got some lessons on the website about developing speed in your left hand. Do you also have some tips/lessons on how to improve the speed in your right hand, and still be able to pick a single string? I find it really hard to develop the speed i my right hand without hitting unwanted strings.
Also i'm having a little trouble with the little finger of my left hand. I always use the tips of every finger, but somehow i'm having trouble to get my little finger under controle. It automatically drifts away from the neck while i'm playing, usually stretching it completely instead of hovering over the strings. And when it comes down again, i usually hit the string with the flat side of my little finger, instead of the tip. Do you have any hints or exercises to train that little finger to stay bend?

Regards from The Netherlands

Hey Bones. I have a couple of suggestions for ya  :)

For your speed an accuracy in your right hand, you wanna check out the lesson called "The spider" under Technique. Its a really good picking excersice and it has helped me alot.

I sort of had the same problem with my pinky some time ago. Then i discovered the "minimum movement" lesson (also under thechnique) and now its almost completely under control ;D only when i play at high speeds i still have some trouble getting it under control, but its getting there.

Hope it helps  :)

Offline Bones

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:38 pm »
hmmm seems i have missed some lessons  ;)
Thnx a lot i'll go check out those lessons and see if it helps

Offline Tailgooner

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:37:12 pm »
Brilliant website,Youre an excellent teacher.Please add more stuff to the rock/metal section.
One question:How do you make your pull-offs sound so loud?My pull offs sound clean,just not as loud as the note when i pick it.(my hammer ons are loud enough,though)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »
Brilliant website,Youre an excellent teacher.Please add more stuff to the rock/metal section.
One question:How do you make your pull-offs sound so loud?My pull offs sound clean,just not as loud as the note when i pick it.(my hammer ons are loud enough,though)

Check out the finger gym exercise and make sure that you really flick off those flick off's ;) it is just practice and making sure it is strong!

J

Offline Tailgooner

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 05:34:46 pm »
Thanks for the tip :) .Seriously,add more of these licks,stuff thatll help beginners take their playing to the next level

Offline CaptainAmerica7770

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 05:40:45 pm »
Hey, sweet lesson. But Im having trouble with flicking off my finger to get a clear third note. It either seems like Im not flicking enough and the note sounds weak, or I flick the string off of the guitar neck a little, and that of course doesnt sound good. Is there any trick or practice ideas to help this?
Trumpet-Guitar-Ska-Captain America

Offline Deusx

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:30:19 pm »
alright, i need some help. it seems like no matter how many times i play something i always mess it up. usually hitting the string wrong or another string. does it just take time or can i not get it? this prevents me from playing fast guitar licks. even the easy ones. could ya help me? oh and im looking to buy a new guitar. i have a ESP LTD AX-50 and looking for something alittle easier to play. i think it might help.

Offline NRLEels

• School Prom Hero
  • This is my guitar
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 05:57:44 am »
Hey great leasson. I've been playing 4 about half a year. I need 2 work on my speed. Would this be the best exersise. Or r there any variations or better ways to work on my speed

Offline jfk003

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 07:01:24 pm »
Hello everybody,
I'm new here, and I must say I am quite impressed with the amount of techniques and themes covered by your lessons justin; this is simply the guitar lesson website I've been dreaming off (considering I have tried to learn by myself these 4 last years, which can become hard at times when you don't find the ressources). Thank you, really !

I have a question about this specific lesson however; I don't know if this has been asked, but what would be the adequate picking pattern for this lick ?
I only see two solutions
- pick up, hammer, pull off, pick down
- or the other way around

Basically there is the choice beween "inside picking" (I mean, picking between the string, on the inner side) or classic picking on the outer side (it's hard to explain, I'm not a native english speaker as you might guess !).

By myself I would choose the "outer picking", but i wanted to ask you: which one fits the best in that case ?

Best regards

Offline Deusx

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:53 am »
Hey wassup,
 I came back with more questions. i answered the other questions myself, by just simply reading and re watching the video. But i need some more help. It seems that i cant get my picking coordinated with my fingers on the fret board. Do i just need to practice more or is it always going to be like that. I also have the same question as the last guy that post. Is there a particular struming pattern to this?

Ive been playing for about a year now and think i am ok. i just want to learn to get faster and clearer. Hope i can get a reply back for this one.

peace, and thanks for the help.