Author Topic: BL-015-BluesUseLicks  (Read 18982 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
BL-015-BluesUseLicks
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:37:36 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline PB72

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: BL-015-BluesUseLicks
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
I'm getting conflicting info.  I keep hearing that on blues solos, just play the minor pentatonic scale for that key (or the blues scale) and the licks, etc. and as long as you're on the scale it doesn't matter which notes you play. I also hear, (but can't find much verification of this), that you must play the note of the chord when the chord progression changes or not play a note at all.  i.e. in key of A, when the chord progression changes to D, in your solo, you should play the note D,  when it goes back to A, you must either play an A note, etc.

Which is correct?

Offline JimLad

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Positive Vibrations: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:18:06 pm »
I'm getting conflicting info.  I keep hearing that on blues solos, just play the minor pentatonic scale for that key (or the blues scale) and the licks, etc. and as long as you're on the scale it doesn't matter which notes you play.

perhaps for now you'll stick to the minor pentatonic but this is by no means the only scale you can/should use.  randomly noodling around with the scale can be good but a lot of the time it doesnt sound coherent which is why you'd try to use licks that come from the scale - what justin teaches.  as you play more and more you'll develop your own new licks.

I also hear, (but can't find much verification of this), that you must play the note of the chord when the chord progression changes or not play a note at all.  i.e. in key of A, when the chord progression changes to D, in your solo, you should play the note D,  when it goes back to A, you must either play an A note, etc.

you don't have to.  that's going to sound good but the root is not the only note which will sound good on the change.  the more you experiment the more you'll discover.

Offline Buben

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:11:26 pm »
Hello guys - I´m from Czech republic so I can´t speak English very vell - but! :) i watched this lesson and i clicked on everything but i can´t find any sample of blues background guitar -am I stupid or what? pls help me - this lessons are very usefull for me :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.

Offline Luis Jordao

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »
Hey there! ^^
Well i dont know if you guys can explain me something, but if you do, that was great :)
How can i be sure, if i am ready to move on to the lessons about blues (BL-016).
I kinda know all the positions of minor penta and blues scale, and even some modes
but its like justin said, its no worth to know every position if we dont know how to
manage one position.
So i think about what Justin said, and i wanted to try make my best in that position (one), so
i decided to check out Justin's blues lead guitar lessons, but i am undecided about changing
to position two, i dont know if i am ready for that.
I kinda practiced the licks and stuff, but how can i know if i am ready to move on?
How can i know if the licks i am doing are sounding good to other people?
Thanks
Regards :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »
... i am undecided about changing
to position two, i dont know if i am ready for that.

Are you able to play position 1 forwards / backwards ... 3 in a line ... 4 in a line ... random diretion change ... etc ?

I kinda practiced the licks and stuff, but how can i know if i am ready to move on?

Have you played the licks over backing tracks?
(there are loads of great free ones - just ask if you need)
Have you played them repeatedly until you automatically start changing little bits, repeating smal lsections, changing other sections, making up your own little licks based on those Justin teaches?

How can i know if the licks i am doing are sounding good to other people?

Record yourself ... simple audio / video ... playing over a backing track and post it here:

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=28.0

Also ... Welcome
 :)

Offline Luis Jordao

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:04:59 pm »
Hello there, thanks for the welcome, sorry about my late on answering :) I had to make the record :P
Well i dont know if you ment posting the audio here, so i putted here ^^

Well acording to your questions:

1º question: "Are you able to play position 1 forwards / backwards ...
3 in a line ... 4 in a line ... random diretion change ... etc ?"
   Answer: I think i am.

2º "Have you played the licks over backing tracks?
(there are loads of great free ones - just ask if you need)
Have you played them repeatedly until you automatically start changing little bits,
repeating smal lsections, changing other sections, making up your own little licks
based on those Justin teaches?"
   Answer: To be honest i kinda do my licks just by head, i dont
need to think much, i just do it, but i think i suck on that, thats why i am posting
this. :)

My point is, i know the scale i need to be acording to the key of the music, i make a lot of repeat
licks (to be honest i think is what i do worse, because i know we need to make repetitions, but not
SO MUCH, but my head cant think about anything else, and after 3/4 mins of backing track i think i am
starting get tired of listening all the licks over and over, i cant think in anything else to do), and still
I cant solo well, atleast in my ear.

So there it is, my audio, if u cant ear quite right, just tell me, ill improvise one better :)

PS: One more thing, please be really really honest with me, i rather you to be honest and say that the solo sucks, then
saying i am good when i am not.
Dont judge me about my solo ^^ because I only have 1 year and a half on guittar so, dont blame me, if that
sounds weird, of course some solos are better then other solos, but even so :)

Thank you
Best Regards

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
you did not post an audio recording ... when you do post in the thread that I linked in my post above .. not in this one  :)

Offline Luis Jordao

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:15:30 pm »
Honestly, i tried to put, maybe doesnt work here, or i dont know how to put one :)
Ill try to put it right now, and by the way, how do i delete one of my posts? because i
couldn't do it.

Offline Luis Jordao

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:01:38 am »
I posted there, with a "Front name" "test", so, when you can, please take a look and be honest
Thank you ^^

Offline borth1967

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:29 pm »
been practcing over and over with the 12 bar blues play along track, just wondered where i can get others?

thanks in advance.

regards
jon

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 10:25:34 pm »
Search Google and or you tube for jam tracks or backing tracks.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08:28 pm »
been practcing over and over with the 12 bar blues play along track, just wondered where i can get others?

thanks in advance.

regards
jon

As Shadow said - there are some really high quality ones on the 'King of the Blues' site:

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/battleoftheblues/tracks/index.cfm

Haven't you been registered here for a while? Your post count is back to 1 - maybe I'm getting confused with somebody else :)

Andy

Offline borth1967

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 05:38:47 pm »
just wanted to know - how do i know im ready to move on to BL 16?  i can play along to a few tracks pretty well now and know the bends ok, also incorparate them and pick out indervidual notes as well.

regards
jon