Author Topic: BL-014 • Blues Lead Guitar #4 - Bending Skills  (Read 21495 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:39:43 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Day Tripper

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BL-014 • Blues Lead Guitar #4 - Bending Skills
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:23 pm »
I am finding it difficult to bend the e string. It seems to "feel" too tight when I bend and I can not seem to make it move enough to bend.  Is this "normal" and just one of those things I have to practice, practice, practice on or is there a "trick" to it?
Two wrongs don't make a right...But three lefts do.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »
Sounds like your fingers are not strong enough yet - if you are doing the technique right after watching the vid - it is just down to practice.

You could try putting thinner strings on but they don't sound a fat.

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Sledgehammer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:08 am »
Hi Justin

Do you have some tips for muting the strings above the one your are bending ??
If you do a bend and release you don't want the sound of the above strings popping...

I'm trying to mute the above strings with my right hand and I have tried to mute with my fretting fingers extending - the string being bend - to mute the above strings. But I am not completely succesfull in doing it one way or the other...

What is the best method to mute the above strings ???

Best Regards and thanks for a very fine website for all of us trying to learn...
Fender strat - Suhr V60LP
Pedal-board
Laney VC15-110
Cort MR-710F
POD 2.0

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:35:44 pm »
I usually use right hand to mute most of them...

But the tip of the first finger should touch the string above the bending one to help keep that quiet too! that is usually the offending string.

Hope that helps

J

Offline Yeti

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »
Also make sure your nails are nicely trimmed on your fretting hand.

Offline daz51

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:16:10 pm »
Hi Justin
This may be the same question as above but I wanted to make sure.  I've been wondering if acoustic and electric guitar bends are the same i.e. do you have to bend the strings as much on an acoustic guitar as you do on an electric.  You really move them a lot and I struggle to do that on my acoustic.  I'd love to say I can tell when the bend sounds right but I'm not sure I trust my ear enough yet for that.  I don't want to break my strings unneccessarily :)

Cheers

Daz

Offline rolledgold77

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 04:10:21 am »
hey justin, great site, great lessons, great everything. your the man, but now to my question. you said you use your right hand to mute most of the strings. can you help explain to me about where i should want my right hand when im playing? i play a les paul and i lay my hand on the tune-o-matic, but this is conflicting with my ability to effectively mute the bent string once its reached the desired pitch. ive been trying to correct this myself, but i cant find a comfortable position for my hand that doesnt mute the top 3 strings. or is this the desired effect? should my hand naturally move when i go to play the bass strings? i also cant seem to mute fluidly without messing up the flow of the solos i know. do i just need more practice?
Reedy.

'I know it's only rock n' roll, but I like it."

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 06:09:09 pm »
rolledgold - it is just more practice - you can do both - it sits most of the time on the thick strings, and then dips down to mute the bends to stop the seagulls! :)

Daz - you just bend it until it is tune - usually a bit further on an acoustic - and it is a lot harder on acoustic too!

J

Offline syamantak

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:54 pm »
Hi Justin,
Firstly thanx a ton man for all these pains you have taken to let us learn the instrument we love so so much. So now for my question....while trying out the first one of the 5 licks, I found to my utter dismay that after I do the lick 5-6 times (that too with quite a lot of sweat...phheeww!!), my 1st string gets totally out of tune...Its surely due to the forceful bendings...Is there a problem with my guitar or my playing or anything else??..Please advice Justin...thanks buddy !!

Syam

Offline Killing Floor

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 10:53:32 pm »
Hello Justin--really enjoy your lessons.  A question on the blues bending lesson.  At one point you suggest not bending the Root note on the first string (5th fret) and 5th on the second string (5th fret).  Do you make that suggestion because those scale degrees in general don't sound good with a bend or because they are both more difficult to do starting out (i.e., each is a step and a half and under the first finger).  Or is there yet another explanation?  Many thanks.

Offline Killing Floor

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
Bumpz.

Offline Andy28

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:49 pm »
What I took from the video is that if you bend the 5th fret notes on the first two strings in the same way as the other bends - i.e. 2 frets/1 tone, you will end up with a note that isn't in the pentatonic scale which is why it "just doesn't sound good"
What? Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?

Offline darrencorrea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:35:03 am »
Hey there Justin
Got a lil doubt ........ i play on ma accoustic with the string gauge 0.11mm to 0.52
I can get the semi tone bend pretty easily but no matter how hard i try i cant seem to get the tone bend ........ so my question is basically Is it possible to get a whole tone bend on the accoustic with the strings i'm using????  & someone told me that i'll be possible to get a tone bend on my accoustic if i get lighter gauge strings ...... is that correct ??? n if so how thin shd da strings be ??? ...... thnx fr da help :)

Offline GuitarPhil

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »
Hi Justin
This may be the same question as above but I wanted to make sure.  I've been wondering if acoustic and electric guitar bends are the same i.e. do you have to bend the strings as much on an acoustic guitar as you do on an electric.  You really move them a lot and I struggle to do that on my acoustic.  I'd love to say I can tell when the bend sounds right but I'm not sure I trust my ear enough yet for that.  I don't want to break my strings unneccessarily :)

Cheers

Daz

You could try checking your bent note is in tune by plugging your guitar into your DAW and using it's tuner function or use the very good online tuner from SeventhString.com (the same company that does the Transcribe! program). That way you get visual feedback as well as hearing the note and feeling the bend in your fretting hand.

I haven't tried this much myself as I only just thought of it  :-\ so let me know what everyone thinks of this idea.

1992 MIJ Fender Strat, 2005 Gibson Les Paul Std., Tanglewood TW45FLRB Electro Acoustic. Marshall AVT50 Combo, Laney VC15-110, Too many Pedals to mention!