Author Topic: ST-318 • Johnny B Goode Intro (Chuck Berry)  (Read 33151 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:13:44 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline polyphonic

• Good Vibes 0
Re: ST-901 • Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »
Hi all!

This is my first posting here, so first of all: Awesome teaching, Justin! It helped me make real progress!

My question regarding the Johnny B Goode Intro: How does the picking (right hand) work in detail?

I believe its alternate picking for all single notes except the bendings (always down) and downstrokes only for the parts where two notes are played together regardless of the length of the notes. Therefore the only somehow unusual bar would be the last bar, where the first six eighths are played alternate and the last two eighths are played downstroke.

Thank you and all the best,
Robert

Offline cheesus

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:48:12 am »
I've got a slight problem on that lick that has that big d# bend under the Eb pentatonic. I sometimes hit other strings and was wondering if you mute the bend with you're right hand at all ? and do you mute the e and b string with the hand that bends whilst bending ? If that makes any sense..

Offline toshi04

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:24:04 am »
I dont know if i should post it here but i have problems with picks.. i always pluck the wrong strings when im using a pick and sometimes i, for example, when i'm suppose to pluck(not sure if it's the right term) the 2nd string, i pluck the 1st or 3rd instead... 
You can't stop rock and roll

Offline Kroikey

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:43:17 pm »
Picking accuracy can only come with practice, but will come fast if you are practicing picking skills!

Offline Thormind

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:17:36 am »
Hello Justin (and everyone else),

This is my 1st post.  Id like to begin by apologising if my english is a little poor, im french canadian so its only my 2nd language.  I'd also like to say a big thank you for that web site.  The pdf tabs coupled with the videos provide a great tool for learning.

Now the question:  I just learned the intro of that great song and id like to learn the rest!  How can i do so?  I'm particularly interested in learning how to play the rythm (or chords?).  The way it is played, it looks like you pick a certain chord twice and then add a note with your fourth finger and pick it twice again.  I just cant figure out what chord it is and whats the hand/fingers position to use.

It seems to be a kind of rythm used a lot in old rock and roll and im starting to learn and love that kind of music...  Once i learn that song the next one will be roll over beethoven (seems pretty similar)

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Fred

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:51:53 am »
@ Polyphonic - welcome dude! I use pretty much all down picks, that is in keeping with the style and gives more attack than alternate picking. Little more effort, but better sound!

@ cheesus - That you Frank? I am muting the E and B strings with the bending hand, and yes the picking hand is also muting all the thicker strings.

@ toshi04 - Picking accuracy develops with time and practice, there is no quick fix solution, sorry!

@ julndjmj - That is well strange - I have the video on YouTube, but it's not on the site... ooops... sorry. Here's the link to youtbe, will get the lesson up on the web site in the next few days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuUl-vaIO08

@ Thormind - see the lesson linked above and play a 12 Bar Blues in Bb. But don't forget to listen to the track too - and try and copy the vibe. Every blues is a little different, so don't fall into the trap of thinking that they are all the same!

Good luck dudes and dudettes. J
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:50:33 am by close2u »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline MadSpaceCow

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »
Okay, well i got it all justin! Well....all exept on part. When it go's "Go, Johnny go, go!" What is the little riff you play inbetween those?

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Limited Access
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:40:56 pm »
Okay, well i got it all justin! Well....all exept on part. When it go's "Go, Johnny go, go!" What is the little riff you play inbetween those?

I'm figuring out the rest of the song by ear(excellent lesson by the way Justin really spot-on!) It sounds to me that he is doing a ghost bend(aka pre-bend) on the note on the 8th fret of the 3rd string and the two notes on the 6th fret of the 1st and 2nd strings.

I hope that helps. :)
Best Regards, zkash_guitarist
Check out my roadcase.