Author Topic: ET-003 • Singing Exercises For Aural / Ear Development  (Read 12536 times)

Offline MrJackRozz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: AU-003 • Singing Exercises For Aural Development
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:12:07 am »
When using the site
http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval/

do you try to reproduce the interval on your guitar or
use the virtual keyboard to find the answer ?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:11:37 pm »
I realise that you asked for the Major 6th interval song reference months ago, but I have only just come across it. Try 'Hush Little Baby', the first two notes!

good one dude!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline fosterjam14

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 04:34:00 am »
I' ve been writing the intervals of your song list out in order.  For example Some-where o= ver the rain- bow is
                                                                                                         1        8    7     5   6     7     8
Is this a very simplified version of transcribing?  Also I noticed he, Justin, has not mentioned solfege  maybe it's a little out of date but it's advantage is when you get into b's and #'s  Instead of saying minor seventh you would say 'tay'  the b of te.
(do-ra-me-fa-so-la-te-do) in other words a single syllable.  For the past month I've tried to learn these as a interval a day so by day 12 I'm back to the beginning but will try this instead to see if it works better.  I suppose the goal is to know your intervals in any order so when transcribing the melody it's not hunt and peck but dead on.  At least that would be my goal.

Offline gregsi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:44 pm »
Major 6th =>  opening notes in Beatles "Two of Us" (white album -- easy to find on youtube)

Offline DoctorJohn

• Good Vibes 1
Re: AU-003 • Struggling with Aural Development HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 02:29:02 pm »
I've been struggling with the interval stage 2 ans aural training stage 3 exams getting less than 50% right on tests.   

Does anyone have any tips to assist in recognising chords?  My method has been to determine if it's a sad or happy sound to identify minor or major than backing into the chord.  It works sometimes but not most.  Now at stage three there are 8 chords and it's two many to choose from I'm have a hard time recognising them.   I am good at recognising the D And Dm chords.  The other six chords sound so similar I struggle to differentiate the sounds. 

For example E, Em , Am and A to me all get intertwined, cant quite tell the difference, if I could sort these out I'd be ok I think!  I'd like to use Justin stay relaxed tip, but I cant help but getting frustrated and discouraged because I'm not seeing the progress like I do with improving scores om 1 minute changes.   

Any suggestions to help here? 

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:30:48 pm »
The lowest note will usually stand out.  And at this point it's the root note of the chord.  If you can hear that note, you can probably name the chord.  Think of it in scale degrees.    Maybe assume the scale is C?  I haven't been at that lesson in a while but it probably is.   ????

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »
I haven't tried this technique myself, but I was planning to...

Arrainge the eight chords in random order.  Record yourself playing one of the chords and, after a moment, identify the chord on the recording.  Fill a 60 minute tape with these chords in random order.  Then listen to it, doing your best to identify each chord before your voice on the tape is heard.  No cheating by using the guitar to find these chords!  Rely on your ears and make your best guess.

Hope this helps...
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.