Author Topic: ET-001 • Ear Training Basics  (Read 31955 times)

Offline ziooleck

• Positive Vibrations: 1
Re: AU-001 • Aural Training Basics
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:36 am »
I know it's kind of "late" answer but check out this page www.musictheory.net/translations.html#en_uk

Hope it will help you:)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:54:18 am by ziooleck »

Offline sonny1982

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:49:00 pm »
Hi Justin,

Can you please explain a little bit more specific on the aural training lesson. How do you apply the interval skill on transcribing songs. Can we predict the next chord by listening to the interval ? On the AU-001 you posted that, "if we know the first chord is an F chord and when we listen to it we can hear that the distance between the chords is a 2nd. Then, we know that the next chord is a G". Can you please explain more in detail. Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

Offline jerronimo3000

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:06:26 pm »
If you want a program that goes much more into aural training then i recomment EarMaster Pro 5.  It's set up so that it starts easy and depending on how well you do, gets harder.  It teaches you to recognize intervals, chords, the notes within the chords, even know the name of a note when you hear it! (perfect pitch).  I really think it's a good program to get.  unfortunately it's $50 at guitar center but IMO it's definitely worth it.

Offline jerronimo3000

• Pub Night Playa
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 08:21:54 pm »
@sonny1982.  instead of using chords let's just use single notes for now.  If you figure out that the first note is a G and you listen to the next note you are able to hear how many musical tones they are apart.  In the case of the next note being an A, it would be to half steps away from G. (two frets on the guitar). G#(Ab) being the first half step and A being the second.  We call the interval that has two half steps a Major 2nd.  If you can train yourself to recognize a Major 2nd than when you hear it in a song you will know how to play it on your guitar.  Although you still have to know what the first note was.  Also intervals can be both ascending and descending.  If we start with G and move down two half steps we also get a Major 2nd.  With Gb(F#) being the first half step and F being the second.  Hope i helped.

Offline sonny1982

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32:24 pm »
Thank you so much for your help. I think I understand what you are saying. I will try out when I get home. Thanks again.

Offline JustAlex

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:28:33 am »
Hi all.

I've recently picked up playing guitar again after almost 10-yr break and I'm really enjoying your exercises. One of the things I really want to dig into is the aural training part.

I'm looking for a good program to train with.

I've been testing (downloaded demo version or tried online):
- http://trainear.com/
- http://www.earmaster.com/
- http://www.musictheory.net/

Although the Earmaster one isn't free (the other two are), it ís by far the best one for me, as I can use it offline from a laptop, and I can use any instrument / mic. to answer the questions. (even clapping for rhythm training).

But before I buy a full version, I'd like to check if there are other programs around that have similar functionality that people have good experiences with. In the end, having fun with the training helps a long way in keeping up with it. ;)

Thanks for your replies folks.

Regards,
Alex

ps. Keep up the great work on the site Justin, I'm really amazed at the continuous effort you are putting in!

Offline insensatez

New Aural training tool
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 10:27:04 am »
Hi everyone, I'm a Newbie! I just tried the new Aural training tool on Justin's site, but I can't get the sound working(yes, the pc and the speakers are on!).Any suggestions?

Offline XamTheOne

• School Prom Hero
Re: New Aural training tool
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:44 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a Newbie! I just tried the new Aural training tool on Justin's site, but I can't get the sound working(yes, the pc and the speakers are on!).Any suggestions?

Several people have this issue. Try Firefox with the latest Quicktime plugin.  You just need to install Quicktime for the latter.  Hope it works.
Acoustic: Furch D-40, LÂG 200PE
Electric: Schecter C-1 Lady Luck, Fender Telecaster Baja
VOX AC4TV 4W valve amp

Offline inthewind

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »
I think I found a song for the Major 7th.  It's Diary by Bread.  I'm quite sure the first two notes of the song are G - F#.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24IfD-0VUu4

OK, the jokes for knowing this song may begin ......
think mine would look better in doubley

Offline cobaltblue

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 06:31:22 am »
Question. Do I really need to memorize all the chords for me the transcribe a song? Because sometimes there are songs which actually uses broken chords or something like that.

Thanks.

Offline player-one

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »
Justin please make the next series (descending) !! This series really really helped me although I still struggle with the 7th's and octaves.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 74
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:57 pm »
Apologies if this exists and I missed it.  I did look.   What I am wanting is a playback loop of intervals that I can put on when I am, say, making dog collars and can't touch the guitar or otherwise check my ear.   I figure if I can just hear a single interval, say a fourth a whole bunch and then a fifth and so on, I will get them quicker.  And these training systems that have you recognize what you have just heard break the connection with that side of the brain (which side is that, you may ask?  My brain seems to be dodecahedronish in shape...

I know I can make one of these but I am trying to avoid recreating the wheel, or whatever shape this thing would be...

THanks in advance

Pat

Realism is relative.

Offline johnmuir

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 09:51:14 am »
When I am on the page http://www.justinguitar.com/eartrainer/ and click on the Start button, the content changes, but I hear nothing. I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu Linux (all up to date) and have no trouble seeing and hearing Justin's videos. It's just this aural training application. Does it only work on the dreaded Windows & Internet Explorer?

...updated...

I've now tested using Firefox and Opera on Ubuntu Linux, Firefox on Windows 7 and even Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and none of these combinations gets a peep out of the aural training app. All components are fully up to date (on a 64-bit PC).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:52:43 pm by johnmuir »

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »
Hi, and welcome:)

If it's any consolation, it doesn't work for me either - Win XP and FF (both up to date) - I get a message saying the the Quicktime Plug-in has crashed :( (QT is up to date, too).

Andy

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 65
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:14 pm »
Same here.  Can't make it work.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.