Author Topic: AR-003 • Dominant 7th Arpeggios  (Read 14599 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
AR-003 • Dominant 7th Arpeggios
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:38:35 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:03:34 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Moakoky

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: AR-003 • Dominant 7th Arpeggios
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »
Hi Justin: I'm new in the guitar, and I see you always say play the chord then play the arpeggio and then the chord again, I believe you but, I can not  find the chords in the arpeggios, can you tell me how to find them. What chords are in Dominant 7 (E) shape position 1. ???

Offline Rile

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
    • Best guitar for beginners - how to chose the right one
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:22:49 am »
When you look at the diagram for the Dominant 7th arpeggio, you probably there are to many notes, but there are only 4 different notes: R 3 5 b7. Those notes are just doubled.
The general way to play dom7th chord is this

Now compare it with the dom7th arpeggio diagram in 1st (E) position  ;)

You can also make your own grips buy using those 4 notes in any way that you like.

Offline Moakoky

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:45:26 pm »
Thanks Rile!. OK now I see some thing in the arpeggio, well lets work up on it. Have a nice day

Offline stivs

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »
what do you use arpeggios for? soloing or a specific type of music like blues??

Offline Quark

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:31:37 pm »
Stivs, you can arpeggiate any chord so no it does not have to be just blues.
As you know, what you are doing is breaking up the chord, playing the notes of the chord, in no required particular order really. Its great for harmonizing, for building up your solos.

W

Offline WorldWithoutE

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:16 pm »
Hi,

This is my first post, and firstly, I would like to say that I have learn quite a lot from Justin and the lessons put up on the website, thanks Justin and Co.! I live in Singapore( I hope you know where that is, ;D) and guitar gear can get quite expensive, so lessons from a teacher would be adding to cost but the website has helped me a lot! Thanks again!

Regarding Arpeggios, are they only limit to these shapes and the Caged system shapes? What I'd like to know if I can use specific scale and areppegiate that. Example, I have been going through the Blues lessons and have learnt the first shape of the A Minor Pentatonic Scale. Is it possible to somehow manipulate this scale to play an arpeggio? I have tried using the whole scale, and it kinda sounded either 'scale-ish' or just plain crap, :-\.

Not sure if if made any sense, 'cause I don't really have much background theory and stuff. I've been planning to buy the Practical Theory book, and might be purchasing it soon ;).

Thanks!

Offline TB-AV

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 250
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 02:59:00 pm »
Chord ( at least 3 notes ) = Notes sounding together to form a certain sound.
--Ex. Major Chord, Minor Chord, Dom7 Chord, 13th Chord, Maj 7th Chord

Arpeggio = The notes from ANY chord played individually ( not at the same time ), one after the other. It is not necessary to play every note contained in an arpeggio at any given position. It is not necessary to play the notes in any certain order.

Scale = A group of notes that are used to form Chords ( The full scale set of notes ), Intervals ( any two notes from the scale at the same time ), Melody ( a string of individual notes from the sale, pladed one at a time )

So no you don't don't really manipulate anything. You start with a Scale. From the scale you build Chords, from the Chords you have your arpeggios.

It's how you play them, the timing and phrasing that makes it sound good. Don't play from top to bottom or bottom to top every time. Skip around. slide into a note. Play the same note several times. Skip notes. Skip strings. Play every other note in the arpeggio. Play every third note.

All of those are just suggestions. Mix them all together. Play whole notes. Play triplets. Slide out of notes. Play rests.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk©

Offline Hope4U

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 03:58:22 am »
Hi There, I just watched the intro to arpeggios, and read the page on dominant 7th's. It's stated that you should always start with the root (lowest note) and end on the lowest note, but in the E shape, for example, the root is an F# (not the lowest note). E would be the lowest note. Can someone help me understand this?

Offline Hope4U

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:26:33 pm »
Never mind... I get it now!  :D

Offline mojorisin

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 12:19:16 am »
hello new here  :) just wanted to ask at what fret shud i start ivf i play the Dom7 in Eposition??

Offline Jaw

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:27 pm »
 I know that mini Arpegggggggggios are played with a down motion and up motion in sweep picking.
What about the long Arpeggios, i have been practicing them with alternate picking. Is that correct?

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 01:01:10 am »
Alternate picking is probably the best way to practice arpeggios.  I'm guessing you could sweep pick the whole thing (personally I have little interest in trying).  I guess if you want to be able to play arpeggios as sweep picking you'll need to practice them that way.  Otherwise I recommend sticking with alternate picking.

Offline Panxo

• School Prom Hero
  • Never let you get between me n my guitar.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »
Hi there!

I just love arpeggios, as a matter of fact, I've been learning them. I can play all the ''boxes'' on the web page, but I like to take a deep look on everything that I learn, I did this with the minor pentatonic, blues scales, all the chords that I know, and of course, the arpeggios' shapes. What I always look for are the intervals or the notes.

What I noticed on those ''boxes'' for the dominant 7th arpeggios is that there are two wrong; the E and A arpeggios. I tried to play them in open positions, but the roots and some notes just don't agree with the interval structures of those arpeggios, at least for me. Can anybody check them out or help me to understand why's that?

Thanks in advance, have a happy new year! ^^
If you want to be a good guitar player, be versatile, smart and most importantly, enjoy playing!

Panxo.

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »
The shapes look and sound right to me.  Is there a specific interval that is confusing you? 

Remember that the E arpeggio is actually the "E shape" arpeggio.  The actual arpeggio that you play depends on the root note that you start on.  If you're playing in open position (I guess you're meaning that the first note of the second string on the E shape box is played open) you would actually be playing an F7 arpeggio because the root note is F.  Is that what is confusing you?