Author Topic: SC-022 • The Major Scale - Melodic Pattern Basics  (Read 18463 times)

Offline docal97

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: SC-022 • The Major Scale - Melodic Pattern Basics
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:40:14 am »
hey justin!  Great lesson.

You mention several times in your lesson the tab that accompanies the video, yet I can't seem to find it on the page.  Will you be posting it soon?

Thanks so much!

Offline Mkkl

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »
I have question, when you play the major scale and practice it in thirds when your reach the 3rd note on the 3rd string you need to play the note below after that, and backwards is the same story. But how do you guys play it, using a bar? Because I think it's kinda difficult when going from down allt he way up to make a bar on these notes, because I automatically put my pinky on the 2nd string the 2nd note.

Offline flatero1

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 07:40:05 pm »
Questions...
when will pt. 2 major scale dvd come out? thanks

Offline Blackheathen

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 04:32:42 pm »
I realise this is a very old thread but...the major scale is a very old scale;-)
I just wanted to say - another great lesson Justin.

In an effort to learn all the notes on the finger board, I'm going to *Drum Roll* .....attempt to call out the notes as I play them (easy enough up and down but could slow me down when doing random notes and playing thirds). Is this a good idea?
Takamine, Santa Fe, DSF 45C

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »
I have question, when you play the major scale and practice it in thirds when your reach the 3rd note on the 3rd string you need to play the note below after that, and backwards is the same story. But how do you guys play it, using a bar? Because I think it's kinda difficult when going from down allt he way up to make a bar on these notes, because I automatically put my pinky on the 2nd string the 2nd note.
You use the rolling technique.  There's a vid in the Technique section.  Takes a bit of practice, as does everything else.  If you use a bar then you'll have both notes ringing out at the same time, which isn't what you want in this case.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone G400 1966 reissue, Vox VT-30, Takamine EG260C Acoustic, Cowbell.

Offline sia11

• Bedroom Rocker
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 06:11:02 pm »
Do these patterns apply for the Pentatonic, Dorian, mixolydian and all that stuff also? Or is it just for these "conventional" major scales like G major??

Offline fishingblade1889

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 03:24:39 pm »
im thick where music theory is concerned so be pateint, when playing an arpeggio over a chord, say A major chord D major chord, do you play all the A major arpeggio then when changing to d major play all the D major arpeggio  or pick out notes from the arpeggio as in scales?
blade4life

Offline rawspirits

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:51 am »
Where is the PDF with the tab for scale exercises? I can't seem to locate it

Thx

Yeah, I just purchased Justin's ebook "Practical Music Theory" thinking the tab might be in there but was disappointed to find it wasn't. Nice book though thanks!

Offline jackdaw

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 05:13:01 pm »
Hi, in the lesson there is mention of following the tab? Where would I find that?

Thanks