Author Topic: SC-301 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale: Essential Information  (Read 49539 times)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
Re: SC-002 • The Minor Pentatonic Scale
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2012, 12:47:14 pm »
One exercise I used to do was pick the open 6th string, then the 5th, back to 6, then to 4, back to 6, then to 3, - 6 2 6 1 and then reverse it.

One thing for certain - if you practice hard and get better at picking accuracy - learning other patterns will seem like a snap and you will wonder why learning position one took so long :)

Noted. A good point, that never occurred to me.

What I'm trying is 2 strings scales at a time, E, A, back to E. I'm trying to dial in my 'home keys'. Then adding in D as I get in a groove, then G etc. This is helping, but it's picking on the way up I tend to stuff up, so I should probably do the reverse from the bottom too. It'll take time.

Any other picking tips/drills to mix up the practise?

I'm pretty buzzy on the big E with the pinky, hopefully practise will fix that too.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »
Drubs - all of Justin's technique exercises will help.

At stage 3 - I think you should just really concentrate on your chords with particular attention to hitting the right string for the bass note ie the E A & D strings as appropriate for respective chords - that in itself will start to build your spacial awareness.

When you have a bit more time on your chops - one other thing I became mildly obsessed with for just this purpose was playing "Asturias" - it was written for piano, and is often played finger style on a classical guitar up around the 9th fret - I played it with a pick using sheet music on my steel string and interpreted the notes from the open position.

I just had a quick squiz and this tab (page 9) is close(ish) to what I played - it is a real mongrel, but a few weeks at it and I guarantee your picking accuracy will improve - I might even try and find my old sheet music and have a crack myself :) much more fun than doing mindless exercises.

http://epaperpress.com/tabs/download/tab.pdf

If you want to know what it sounds like, just do a search on You Tube :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
So after some regular practice, I'm getting there. A metronome check tells me I'm going at about 110+ bpm with few mistakes.

So I was thinking of adding the 2nd shape, but a revisit of the lesson shows that you should know how to *use* the first before moving on. Stage 3 doesn't contain any lessons/songs that require penta picking, apart from the Edwyn Collins mini lick, which I've been doing.

Do later lessons/stages have penta shape 1 stuff? If not, not sure I should stay with it when I could use my time for something else. Sure it helps with picking and getting a feel for finding your strings, but if it doesn't get any actual use til way later, doesn't seem like it's worth being a regular in my routine.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »
If you want to throw a solo into any of your songs, or you want to jam with your mates it will come in handy.

You really want to be very comfortable with it, I think, before moving on.

Keep going with the metronome. Getting it perfect now is so important.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2012, 05:57:14 pm »
So after some regular practice, I'm getting there. A metronome check tells me I'm going at about 110+ bpm with few mistakes.

So I was thinking of adding the 2nd shape, but a revisit of the lesson shows that you should know how to *use* the first before moving on. Stage 3 doesn't contain any lessons/songs that require penta picking, apart from the Edwyn Collins mini lick, which I've been doing.

Do later lessons/stages have penta shape 1 stuff?

Try the Blues Lead lessons:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-000-Blues.php

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2012, 01:14:15 am »
K. Thanks.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:55 am »
I don't know what you mean about about going back and forth on the E and A then adding D but something sounds fishy about that and you could be ingraining a bad habit. your hand won't go up and down ( floor to ceiling ) and "learn it's place per string" if you stay on the bass strings only.

Justin's scales are made to play start to finish for a reason. Specific focus is one thing to perfect a lick or whatever but don't learn two strings and ignore the rest. If you are going to segregate the neck, do it by 4 to 6 fret areas nut to bridge.. not string pairs.

do string pairs or better single strings for nut to bridge scales.

Then again I don't know what you mean so maybe just ignore this.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2012, 03:40:50 am »
I don't know what you mean about about going back and forth on the E and A then adding D but something sounds fishy about that and you could be ingraining a bad habit. your hand won't go up and down ( floor to ceiling ) and "learn it's place per string" if you stay on the bass strings only.

I'm not ignoring any, I'm doing an excercise to help me pick better.

Focusing on 2 strings up and down at a time was just a way of helping with my accuracy and rhythm - to help with the full scale. I was doing 'scales' of EAEAEA, then when in a groove, EADEAD, adding in each subsequent string till I was doing the whole scale (shape 1). That, or just the extra practice has worked, as I'm a lot quicker and cleaner. Still needs work though.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2012, 04:12:04 am »
Got it.

You can try string skipping too if your accuracy is off. EDBAGE type thing. Just go steady. It will help with "pick drag" for lack of a term. the problem of inaccurately moving the pick/hand from string to string.

string skipping makes you raise the pick, over the string, then down to next string. It's exaggerated at first but then get's lower and smoother. It helps prevent "dragging the pick" into the side of the adjacent string. Sort of like not picking your feet up when you walk.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:10 am »
When I play the minor pentatonic scale (pattern 1), the pad of my hand between the thumb and forefinger stays in contact with the guitar. Is this something I should try to avoid? I've been trying, but it's really hard to do without putting my wrist at an awkward angle.

Also, should I be focusing on only touching the note that I am currently playing with my fret hand? I can mostly do that, but I have to really arch my fingers to get that to happen on the low strings because of the length of my little finger*.

Will all of this work itself out in time, or is it just something that I shouldn't even worry about?

*- Even completely straight, my little finger just reaches the low E string.

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »
Ok, taking your points out of order a little:
....should I be focusing on only touching the note that I am currently playing with my fret hand? I can mostly do that, but I have to really arch my fingers to get that to happen on the low strings ...

Yes, in a word. Ironically, when you can do this, you concentrate on deliberately muting adjacent strings, but you need to learn to do it 'clean' first, and just touch the note that you're playing.

When I play the minor pentatonic scale (pattern 1), the pad of my hand between the thumb and forefinger stays in contact with the guitar.....

...Even completely straight, my little finger just reaches the low E string.

I suspect that these two facts are related - it sound like you need to adjust your hand position so that it makes it easier for your little finger to reach the low E.

My 0.02p, anyway :)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2013, 07:39:56 pm »
I suspect that these two facts are related - it sound like you need to adjust your hand position so that it makes it easier for your little finger to reach the low E.

My 0.02p, anyway :)

Do you have any advice for that? Or is it just one of those things that seems to work itself out over time?

I can't really think of many ways to adjust my hand position without the guitar "resting" on the part of my hand between the thumb and forefinger.

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
I've no idea how you are holding the guitar, but try pointing the guitar neck up higher (so the headstock is level with your ear - roughly) then get your thumb on the back of the neck. This will mean your fingers can reach further and arch around better

Apologies for posting this video yet again, but it explains what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxdreMiHcI

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »
Are you saying the bottom edge of the neck is touching your hand when you are trying to use your pinky on the 6th string?

That is not a horrible thing.  I realize in the beginner's lessons Justin says to imagine an electric wire at the bottom of the neck and to keep your hand away from it.  But he also mentioned that this was a temporary thing to help you form the chords correctly and eventually you wouldn't have to worry about it.

So, this isn't a chord thing andayne eventually just happened for you.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2013, 12:30:39 am »
@misterg- I suppose it would make it tough to judge without seeing huh. That makes sense. Looking at the Pebber Brown video though, I don't think my wrist is "breaking" any more than his. Maybe I am just over thinking it.

@shadow- Yes, that is pretty much the thing. I don't think I am muting anything, but figure that if it isn't ideal, it may be easier to correct now than it will be a few months from now.

I tend to do it on the G chord sometimes too when I transition to it, and on Am if I am trying to put my thumb over to mute the 6th string (nothing I can do about that one).

So, this isn't a chord thing andayne eventually just happened for you.

I don't think I follow you here.

Thanks for your help guys. I may see if I can get some pictures later, but will have to dig out the camera.