Author Topic: SC-001 • The Major Scale  (Read 52709 times)

Offline GuitarGirl2013

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
Re: SC-001 • The Major Scale
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2013, 11:56:03 pm »
I am only doing position 1 of the major scale. I have played Scales G-D. Is there a way to play the F major scale in position 1?

Thanks Ahead of time!
Life is a journey that is much better with music!!!

Offline mmmbert

• Pub Night Playa
  • Positive Vibrations: 7
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2013, 12:11:38 am »
I am only doing position 1 of the major scale. I have played Scales G-D. Is there a way to play the F major scale in position 1?

Thanks Ahead of time!

I haven't tackled the major scale really yet, but I think you would play it with the root on fret 13.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 21
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2013, 12:23:17 am »
GuitarGirl, use the open strings.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive,Metal Zone,  Mooer Echo, Ditto looper, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 108
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2013, 09:53:10 am »
SCales move up and down the neck, so every pattern can play every major scale, you just have to place the root note on the key centre you want.

But don't try and learn too many scales too quickly - make music with Pattern 1 before you even contemplate learning more scales patterns!!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Craig Howard

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
Re: SC-001 • The Major Scale - scale shapes
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2013, 10:57:56 pm »
Sorry : Searched and could not find the downloadable / printable 5 positions (scale shapes)  as mentioned start of Lesson

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-021-MajFivePos.php

Appreciate a link thanx.

EDIT: No luck after more searching and just seems too hard to find here...so I will seach off site for a source of the 5 positions scale shape charts.  The obvious search words do not produce what Justin mentions in the lesson I linked.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:16:21 am by Craig Howard »
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Farida SA-16 MPBK semi hollow body.
Ibanez Ergodyne Bass, Peavy Amplification. FX Pedals: Boss Blues driver, Boss RC3 Loop Station, EP Booster, Zoom Bass FX. Alessis SR16 Drum Machine. Justin Rules!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:34 am »

Offline Craig Howard

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:28 am »
Ah ha....BINGO..thank you.   ;D

Much appreciated.
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Farida SA-16 MPBK semi hollow body.
Ibanez Ergodyne Bass, Peavy Amplification. FX Pedals: Boss Blues driver, Boss RC3 Loop Station, EP Booster, Zoom Bass FX. Alessis SR16 Drum Machine. Justin Rules!

Offline farmgirl

• School Prom Hero
  • Positive Vibrations: 2
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »
ok was thinking I could do the G major chord in the shape of E on all strings but I think I just buggered it all up. Take a look

Major scale starting on E

E-2 5
A-2 3 5
D-2 4 5
G-2 4 5
B-3 5
e -2 3 5

Now starting on A same notes as above

A-10 12
D-9 10 12
G-9 11 12
B-10 11 12
e-10 12
E-2 3 5

Now is it that you can't do that or did I just bugger it up?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »
The G major scale is
E-3  5
A-2  3  5
D-2  4  5
G-2  4  5
B- 3  5
e-2  3  5

Didn't you just start learning to play a couple months ago. You might be getting way ahead of yourself.

Offline farmgirl

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2013, 10:27:16 pm »
yes stitch101
and I meant 3 5, I may be getting ahead of myself I just like to find things to mix up my practice so I don't get bored. I was nosing around and I thought I could use this along with the finger gym, spider and some of the other stuff to help my fingers become independent and help stretch them more along with working on my alternate picking.... :-\

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 61
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:05 pm »
If your going to use scales for the spider and finger gym them check out Justin's lessons on the major
scale and the CAGED system.  I still think your trying to learn to much and will end up learning very little.
If your going to start learning scales do what Justin suggests. Learn one pattern at a time learn how to
use it before moving on to the next pattern.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php

Offline farmgirl

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2013, 11:21:19 pm »
I am trying to be careful and not take on to much at once. All I am working on now is A,D,E,G,C,Amin,Dmin,Emin Minor pentatonic scale, got this one nailed pretty good. Then I do finger gym and the spider along with Justins finger stretching drills. And working on learning the notes on the neck. I am taking my time on all of these things because I want to do them right so I never have to relearn them. Just looking for things to get my fingers working well.   

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 34
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:15 am »
I am trying to be careful and not take on to much at once. All I am working on now is A,D,E,G,C,Amin,Dmin,Emin Minor pentatonic scale, got this one nailed pretty good. Then I do finger gym and the spider along with Justins finger stretching drills. And working on learning the notes on the neck. I am taking my time on all of these things because I want to do them right so I never have to relearn them. Just looking for things to get my fingers working well.   

So you don't actually play music?

I'd add that to the list.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 212
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2013, 08:12:47 am »
ok was thinking I could do the G major chord in the shape of E on all strings

E shape scale pattern is a one off pattern that you can play once only ... with the proviso (that other patterns have) that it repeats an octave further up (or down) the neck ....

There are 5 Major scale patterns using the CAGED system to plot them ...

one using an E shape
one using a D shape
one using a C shape
one using an A shape
one using a G shape

in other words CAGED but altered to spell EDCAG

Major scale starting on E

fixed ...

E - 2 3 5
A - 2 3 5
D - 2 4 5
G - 2 4 5
B - 3 5
e - 2 3 5

17 notes giving a cyclic pattern so you can always hit the lowest root note with a down when you play with strict alternate picking

note - always start on the lowest root note
3 fret E string here

learn these using Master the Major Scale

you don't need much else

:)

Offline matchd

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2013, 02:07:55 am »
Hi,

This is more of a technique question about scales I guess.  When playing a scale, I'm guessing it is sloppy to be touching other strings when starting out.  I find it very difficult not to be touching for example the "A" string while fretting the low E when doing the major scale especially with the pinky finger as it is a stretch for that finger to fret the low E.  I've gotten up to around 100 bpm (eighth notes) on the major, but now I've taken a step back and started to examine my technique  because it has occurred to me my technique is very sloppy (or so I'm guessing).  I know later on Justin talks about intentional string muting, but in the beginning it should be avoided. 

Should each finger be super precise and be hitting only its target?