Author Topic: TE-702 • Folk Fingerstyle 1  (Read 20399 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 109
    • justinguitar.com
TE-702 • Folk Fingerstyle 1
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:26:48 pm »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:24:57 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline rburns9099

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: TE-021 • Folk Fingerstyle 1
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:11:34 am »
HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BASS NOTE WITH YOUR THUMB LOUDER!?! ive been messing around with fingerpicking for some time but i switched over early on to a thumb pick because it was easier to make the bass note sound good. Now i dont want to have to rely on the thumbpick to actually pick up the guitar and play. any suggestions???

Offline ScubaFreak

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:26:38 am »
hey justin... can u recomend some songs to improve fingerstyle or folk fingerstyle... ty

Offline clr12

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:02:35 am »
It seems like the timing in not correct.  Or, am I just losing it ???

Offline Adlai

• School Prom Hero
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 05:46:02 pm »
The rhythms are correct in the pdf TAB, however, Justin didn't include any rests for the separate voices. However, the duration of each note is correct.

You can "suss out" when to play each note by looking at the horizontal position within each bar of the TAB, even though that's not technically a proper way to tell rhythm. Also, once you get the right feel from the video, it sorta clicks when you play it right.
"All music is folk music; I ain't never heard no horse sing a song." -- Louis Armstrong

Offline yuan

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 04:41:45 am »
what do you do for 3/4 time?!

Offline lezzbo

• School Prom Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:53:50 pm »
Heya Justin...Happy New Year!
I've been working on the patterns for a few days and think I'm ready to try "Don't Think Twice."
Could you post the tab, or maybe just the chord progression?
That song is one reason I wanted to learn the style.
You're the best!
Thanks ~ab~

Offline Adlai

• School Prom Hero
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:32:08 am »
yuan,

Experiment!

Here are some suggestions about the bass. The treble notes aren't as crucial, just play one on most beats or half-beats -- leave them out on a beat for a syncopating effect!
  • Figure out notes for your chords on all three bass strings, and then use on one on each beat -- this sounds to me like a very progressing, moving, bass, as opposed to an alternating bass which just hops back and forth. Here are some basic chords, extended to all the bass strings:
  •     C Major: 010233
  •     D Major: 232002     (In these diagrams, I list fret number for each string, from 1st string to 6th string)
  •     A Major: 022200
  • Alternate between measures in which you play strings 5 - 6 - 5 and measures where you play 6 - 5 - 6. Extend this idea to other string combinations, based on the chords.
  • Play a waltz-like pattern, where beats two and three have the same bass note.
Have fun!
"All music is folk music; I ain't never heard no horse sing a song." -- Louis Armstrong

Offline Birchn

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:11:58 pm »
I'm a bit confused about the tabs in the pdf.  Do the numbers represent the fingers?  I can't quite get my head round them.  In example 1 you have 1 and 3 which must be the thumb and second finger, then 2 i.e index finger but then a 0 at which point I'm lost!

Offline randomara

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:25:11 pm »
Hey what do you do for chords rooted on the 4th string like D? I found I could make it work by moving my fingers down one string and using the 4th and 3rd for the thumb. The problem is then how would I do the next lesson where you use the 1st string? Do you just use the same pattern for both? Also Justin said the fingers were assigned to the strings he showed in the lesson so I'm guessing this isn't the right solution. I've also tried using the same pattern as a 5th string root chord but the pinch sounds sour that way. I'm trying to play a G,C,D song for practice but I don't want to learn it wrong. Thanks for any help!

Offline randomara

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:40:22 pm »
I just found the info I needed on the fingerstyle 2 thread. Thanks

Offline joseplluis7

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »
Hi everybody

I've got some fingerpicking standards tab books and usually find some left-hand problems.

First, it seems to me that is very important to know in advance which fingers go where, and try to use the minimum movements, looking which notes will follow. Is there any trick or is a matter of experience?

Second,  how can I avoid that the strings keep sounding (it sounds xx--xx) specially open strings. should I try to mute them with the right hand?

Third, when I want to go fast from one finger position to the following, sometimes it sounds like a pull of, which sounds very bad. Have I to try to make the transition smoother?

thanks ind advance for your help

Offline dreado

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 12:16:04 am »
This was a great way to get started with finger style guitar; I’ve got those patterns down and enjoying experimenting with them. I have a little problem that I don’t think has been mentioned, when playing the simultaneous bass note and 2nd string (with a chord that requires the 2nd string to be fretted) I often get a nasty vibration noise, as you would if you were not pressing hard enough or too far from the fret. It may sound as if I have answered my own question there but I’m wondering if this is a common problem with finger picking, do you need to press a bit harder than usual? I’m no doubt plucking slightly harder while doing the pinch action. I haven’t noticed this problem when strumming, could it be that I am picking incorrectly when doing the 'pinch'?  :-\

Offline Griz

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 01:35:24 am »
What is that little bit from Dylan near the end of the video?  What song is that from?

Offline TheRaider

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:32:00 am »
I want to know which song it was from too!