Author Topic: TE-201 • The Spider  (Read 20855 times)

Offline Loonybin-Fizzbin

• Positive Vibrations: 0
Re: TE-002 • The Spider
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 09:45:39 pm »
I became to understand it fully ONLY when I changed time signatures from 4/4 to 3/4..I made up scale runs on my own, then used each run...with each signature...

Offline asdfplaya

• Positive Vibrations: 0
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
hi, love this site. but i just got one question, when i do this exercise, am i supposed to place my right hand on the neck like i would with a chord or arpeggio or should i play it like i would a solo where i would press only on every note?

Offline joshs

• Arena Rocker
  • Positive Vibrations: 19
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »
Do you play lefty? It's better to refer to your hands as "pick hand" and "fret hand" to avoid confusion. Assuming you are (since the question doesn't make sense the other way around) Press one note at a time. You don't want the notes to continue to ring.

Offline CaptainFarrell

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 07:19:03 am »
Hey guys, been working on the Beginner's Course for a few months now but only discovered the Spider exercise a few weeks ago. I have been working on this and there definitely is an improvement  :)

Got a fretting hand related question.
I was watching the vid again and I noticed that Justin's fingers move absolutely independently from each other, but when I do it, aside from the obvious problems with speend and accuracy.... Here is what I wanted to ask.
let's say I press down with the little finger I have to REALLY FOCUS and play sllooooowwwwwww for the three other fingers to stay where they are. If I don't focus the other three are going up and forming something like an eagle claw Bruce Lee would be proud of  ;D

Or if I'm pressing down with my ring finger the other three are going  up, and so on. I just can't get the fingers to say relaxed while only one finger is pressing.

I tried just now to play real slow and focus on only having movement in the finger that I need to press down with but it is SO TOUGH!  I could do it but I spend so much time trying to get my brain to only send signals to one finger and leave the other three alone haha

Will this go away eventually as I get faster? Or should I consciously focus on fixing this now at the early stages as I am practising the Spider?

Thanks!

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 113
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 04:18:55 pm »
Hello and welcome! :)

... should I consciously focus on fixing this now at the early stages as I am practising the Spider?

Yes, IMHO.

I think the spider is quite an advanced exercise, so it will be hard. Have you tried the 'Minimal movement' exercise? It's a little easier than the Spider, but still feindishly tricky to start with.

Just my 0.02p

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 67
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »
You're teaching your fingers and brain a new skill which will take time to sink in. Keep doing it slowly and
one day it will be as natural as walking.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline CaptainFarrell

• Positive Vibrations: 1
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 06:55:17 am »

Thank you guys for the welcome :)

I missed that part in the description where it is said it is more of an advanced exercise  ;D
In any case, I have been working on Spider and I'm not doing too bad I think, I can keep up with the metronome at 60 bpm doing the alternate picking. The problem is usually not the fretting hand, it's the picking hand that gets confused sometimes haha

The eagle claw I mentioned is happening on the way up when the pinkie is pressing down on the D string and then also when the ring finger is on the A string. The middle finger has no problem coming back to play the E string but it just looks like crap  ;) and I thought this would become a habit and would  affect my speed when I get to playing solos sometime down the road.

I will definitely check out the "Minimal movement" exercise as well, and I guess I will just keep working on this patiently  :P

Thanks for your replies!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Positive Vibrations: 67
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:27 pm »
What ever you do don't over do these exercises. No more than a minute and if you feel any pain stop.

People on this forum that have over done these exercises have had to spot playing for days some even
week because they stressed out tendons and muscles