Author Topic: TE-801 • Slide Guitar Basics: Essential Techniques  (Read 420 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:52:25 pm by Indigo »

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: TE-301 • Slide Guitar Basics: Essential Techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:46:17 am »
Great lesson, and a 'module' I'm looking forward to. There isn't a whole lot out there for someone that wants to play a bit of slide, especially without going into the open tunings first.

Observation one: Common question - which finger? I use my slide on my middle finger, but I have seen GREAT guitar players using the slide on every finger except their thumb, and there's probably some cat playing in a hole in the wall dive off Burgundy street wailing to the streets doing exactly that as I write this (if the bars still never close in New Orleans, they didn't when I lived there).

Observation two: The start with single note things is spot on, but a lot of players (or at least a few 'beginners' and even more advanced ones I've met and talked to) think you can't play chords with a slide in Standard. Or at least it never occurs to them to try.

Standard makes some things a lot easier to play than open tunings, like minor and 7th chords where you'd want to fret behind the slide. Strings 2,3, and 4 give you a major triad, and strings 1, 2, and 3 give you a minor one. Both are inversions, and in both (minor especially) you can finger the root note as a bass if you want.

Anyway, I'm off to practice my scales and getting that very smooth gliss sound going. That I never knew you could get, I always got a little bit of fret sound, but that could be because my action is so low - another thing that may be worth mentioning. I knew slide guitars used higher action, now I know why.

Oh, and those muting techniques look remarkably similar to how a bass player plays. Makes me wonder how 'two finger' strumming would do...
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline velovagabond

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:52:08 am »
Great lesson. This is something I want to start working on as soon as I finish with the Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead lessons that I've been working my way through.

I do have a question about guitar selection and string action. I'm assuming that a higher action works better for slide as you're less likely to bottom the strings out on the frets. Did you pick your ES-335 for this lesson because of higher action on that guitar? I have an ES-339 and it's action is considerably higher than on my Fender guitars.

Thanks again for all you do! I'm a devoted fan of your site!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 262
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:16:01 am »
If your action is too low the slide will make a racket on the frets. Most everybody that plays slide jacks the string clearance up a bit...

For standard tuning that get's a bit tricky if you intend to play normal as well on the same guitar.... Although some people like high action by nature.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Online TheCasual

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:23:55 am »
I watched a Guthrie Govan interview and he said he has his action set really low so he can do tapping techniques. So what he does when he wants to play slide is slide a empty cigarette paper packet to the first fret.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Vintage V100
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.